Fantasy elements: When is it too late to introduce them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
I was thinking - there are all sorts of far-out elements in my story, but I don't introduce the creatures until about half way in. My MC walks into an inn and the illusions on the customers lift, revealing what they really are. When do you think it becomes shocking/too late to bring in heavy fantasy elements into a seemingly light fantasy story?

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
If there are hints that something is wrong/different/more than meets the eye (Transformers!), I think you can wait quite a while. But halfway through is probably too late if there's no real hint up until that point that the setting was going to be other than what was predicted in the first several chapters.

It's fine for it to be the kind of hints where people only go at the reveal, "Oh, of course! That's what it meant!" But there's gotta be some kind of build-up so that it's not coming out of left field.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
You should know it's fantasy before the midway point, probably earlier. Later than that and any fantastic elements might appear arbitrary.

Also, there is an implied contract with the reader that they will know that strange things might happen. If the expectation is not set early enough, it could lead to reader confusion/frustration.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
I love 'big reveals', but you definitely need more hints than that. What tense/person are you writing it in? If it's third person limited, you can usually get away with the occasional 's/he didn't notice the...'. If it's first person, you have to be a bit sneakier.

The hints can be extremely subtle - enough to intensify the fantasy sensation without being fully registered by the reader. Shiny lights in the corner of an eye, a person changing from one look to the next, a sword that almost seems to know what it's doing.

It depends on the style of fantasy you're writing.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was very disappointed when Dan Brown introduced the fact that Mother Mary was an elf on the last page of The DaVinci Code.

;)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I have read SF/fantasy stories where the SF/F element doesn't appear until the very end. And others where it's implicit, so the story is on the surface straight mainstream. (I've had published at least one of those.)

Whether this will fly with the market you send it to depends on the market. Some of them undoubtedly prefer to have the SF/F element up front, or at least appearing early.

Rebekah7

Unofficial Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Since you said that people would already be aware that it's a "seemingly light fantasy story", then you've probably hinted at some form of fantasy. Going from light fantasy to heavy fantasy isn't quite the same as going from "seemingly mainstream novel" to "whoa, there's magic in this!"

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
From a reader's perspective, it depends on where you read the story too. If you're reading an issue of F & SF or Asimov's, then you would expect the SF/F element to come in somewhere, even the very end. Not so The New Yorker or Granta. Having said that, the story would still have to get through the F & SF/Asimov's slushpile.

Cinematic example of a story which looks like straight mainstream but doesn't reveal itself to be SF until late on - Vanilla Sky. Also Abre los ojos, the Spanish film it's a remake of.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Fantasy exaggerates and distorts our sense of proportion. This is used to enhance mood, and develop and highlight themes. The key element of fantasy is whimsy -- bringing something fanciful, fantastical into the story.

For example, a dense wood can be creepy, but a magical wood like Mirkwood is eldritch and malign. A warrior hero is strong, but a magical warrior hero like Heracles is fabulously strong.

Thematically, power can corrupt, but a magical source of power like the One Ring corrupts insidiously, perniciously and inevitably. Ambition can lead to over-reaching, but magically endorsed ambition like Macbeth's leads to catastrophe. Love can heal wounds, but the love in Sleeping Beauty overcomes death.

Fantasy is built out of whimsy. So the question: when is it too late to be whimsical breaks down to: when is it too late to run highlighter pen over mood or theme? And in related questions: when is it too soon? How little is too little? How much is too much?

Before we answer thse we need to ask a more fundamental, non-genre question: when is it too late to introduce mood or theme at all?

My answer: after scene one is done, it's too late.
Rationale: Fiction is an emotional journey. If scene one doesn't have mood, we've already missed the boat. And character development is a thematic journey. Our themes need to be at least foreshadowed when our characters are introduced.

Next question: when is it too soon to run a highlighter pen over mood and theme?

My answer: when the mood or theme aren't interesting enough, susprising enough, astonishing enough, to support highlighter.
Rationale: Highlighting pen doesn't change the ideas it highlights -- it merely makes them more visible, more central to the story. So they'd better be able to support a story in the first place. I feel that the whimsy introduced by fantasy does the same. Frodo's journey is a moral and psychological one, but so was Mitch McDeere's in John Grisham's The Firm. A key difference between the two stories is that in Lord of the Rings, lust for power is an object. In The Firm, it's a motive. By turning a motive into a physical symbol, Tolkien gets to play with it directly in story -- he can pass it from hand to hand, let it change characters, let characters react to it directly. That's the power of whimsy.

And finally: when is it too late to run whimsy over mood and theme?

My answer: when the best bits are already past.
Rationale: other than in parody, whimsy only works when it's used sparingly. The whimsy in fantasy is inevitably tied to the drama. When the mood is high, we can use more highlighter pen. When it's low, we need to be sparing. When characters are undergoing crisis and change, we can add whimsical symbols. When they're keeping business as usual, we put the cap back on the pen. This is nowhere more evident than in genre called horror. A great deal of the horror genre is scary fantasy. We can't scare the reader if we show the monster in the first scene. We must let the mood itself tell us where the monster appears.

But what about those stories where the magical is commonplace? What about Superman stories, where he begins an adventure by flying on patrol? Nothing's happening, but he's still flying, right? Flying's whimsical, so where's the mood or the theme justifying it?

My answer is that Superman's flying stopped being whimsical once his routine abilities were established with his audience as tropes. It's impossible to create a sense of wonder from the ordinary and familiar -- the highlighter pen runs dry. So where early Superman stories create wonder from the power even existing, later stories must create wonder from something else -- e.g. the power disappearing, mutating, or being utterly inadequate to deal with his crisis. Superman's flight power continues to make him a fantasy character, but after a while the fantasy itself must be delivered some other way.

So in conclusion:
  1. We have to get mood and theme right from the outset, regardless of how much magic is in our stories
  2. We should use whimsy sparingly, unless we're writing for comedic effect
  3. Let peaks of mood and dramatic crises tell us where best to apply the fantastic
  4. Beware whimsy that becomes too familiar -- it ceases to be fantastic

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
Ah, you guys are completely right. I've set the mood from the beginning and my story is third person limited; my main character has noticed some strange things, and is aware of magic in the world.

I was worried because my story has a completely human cast, but at one point my character is led into a tavern that turns out to be for creatures thought to exist only in folklore. They appear human, though some of their features appear a bit 'off', and suddenly the glamours on them lift, revealing them for what they are.

I was just a bit worried that it would be a slap in the reader's face, and they'd begin wondering why all these things were suddenly appearing in the story. But I think I'll head back and add in a few strange occurences, as someone said, and make a character previously thought to be human into something else. That way the element will always have been there, though the MC just didn't know. :)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
the element will always have been there, though the MC just didn't know.

Bingo...

It does not matter what the MC knows or does not know...its what the readers needs to know, IMHO.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Have the protag suspect there is a single magical beast/person in the village. "Look, here's pixy poo again!" And everybody disbelieves him. Then he finds a pointy green hat, and still they disbelieve him. And then, when he finally captures the critter and hauls it into the pub to show everybody, everybody transforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.