Shining Example of Civility from the Limbaugh of the Left

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Still, Olbermann engages in name-calling and insult hurling. He is--imo--right at the top in that category. He shouts down guests that disagree with him, just as O'Reilly does.

So perhaps O'Reilly would be a better comparison? I don't know much about Olbermann, but O'Reilly has said plenty of things I disagree with, many I also agree with. Mostly, it's his rudeness that bothers me.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Still, Olbermann engages in name-calling and insult hurling. He is--imo--right at the top in that category. He shouts down guests that disagree with him, just as O'Reilly does.

Yeah, I agree. I think I see more of a parallel between O'Reilly and Olbermann than Limbaugh and Olbermann. But at the end of the day, I'm not sure it matters much. Degrees of shrillness, nastiness, and nonsense seem to be the unavoidable byproduct of the 24 hour news-go-round. What each network feels it has to do to claw onto a segment of the remote-control-holders of the world is going to result in a circus of oneupmanship. It's depressing.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Mostly, it's his rudeness that bothers me.

Civility is way too pedestrian. It's not sexy and it doesn't sell ad space.

The weird thing is, I wish I knew how much any of these assholes believe what they spew. I'd love to feel the progression of self-congratulation turning to conviction. I'll bet it feels really good. Too good. Probably like Oxycontin.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
you can't convince them, roger. anyone who sees olbermann as any less of a propagandist than limbaugh is either not paying attention or in denial.

Olbermann is as much of a propagandist -- there's no denying the definition of the word. The very process of his journalism includes abject awareness of an other (the Extreme Right Wing), even more than a promotion of a specific platform. The facts spur the conclusions; we're always left with people foaming at the mouth.

that, or consumed by the self-righteous smugness that assumes anyone on the left is necessarily entitled to say what they want because it's "the truth."

Out of curiosity, did Olbermann supply any reasons at all for his name-calling? Generally when he burns people, he supplies reasons. Too bad for him he can't explain away why being an "ex-nude model" or a tea-bagger is intrinsically bad.

AMC

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I agree that she shouldn't be equated to Rush (nor should Olbermann be equated to Rush), by any stretch of the imagination. But that's mostly because Rush doesn't call himself a journalist and makes no bones about the fact that he's wholly one-sided.

Still, Olbermann engages in name-calling and insult hurling. He is--imo--right at the top in that category. He shouts down guests that disagree with him, just as O'Reilly does. And he's got an agenda, as does Maddow, as does Hannity.
I would agree that you can compare Olbermann to O'Reilly. I find O'Reilly a much more unpleasant person personally, but that is a subjective judgment. Rush is a different animal, and Beck is. . .well, different.

And yes, Maddow is an unapologetic leftist. But I've found her to be someone who tries hard to be fair, and I appreciate the fact that she's a smart woman, unlike say Hannity, who is an idiot.

I've seen many interviews on her show with people she violently disagrees with, and she lets them have their say, does not interrupt (although being prepared, often challenges them) and is unfailingly polite -- even with someone who tells her that being gay is a sickness, perhaps unaware that she herself is gay.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
... even with someone who tells her that being gay is a sickness, perhaps unaware that she herself is gay.
What's to disagree with? Love is always a sickness. The sooner they find a cure for love, lust, and attachment, the better off we'll all be.

Of course, the writers will be largely out of work...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
And yes, Maddow is an unapologetic leftist. But I've found her to be someone who tries hard to be fair, and I appreciate the fact that she's a smart woman, unlike say Hannity, who is an idiot.

hannity is certainly not a smart woman.

i like rachel.