Digital Printers for POD Self-Publishing

Andrhia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deusexmachinatio.com
This is a super helpful link, thank you so much.

I'm going to have to do a limited run of about 50 hardcovers as Kickstarter rewards sometime down the pike, and it would be helpful to have my ducks in a row long before I strictly need to.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm lost. CreateSpace is already POD; any other system you elect to use is going to have a certain amount of formatting, anyway. If you decide to move away from all things Amazon and go to, say, Lulu, your document will have to fit their specs.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I think I'm lost. CreateSpace is already POD; any other system you elect to use is going to have a certain amount of formatting, anyway. If you decide to move away from all things Amazon and go to, say, Lulu, your document will have to fit their specs.

No, you aren't lost, I understand that. Yes I am deciding to move away from all things Amazon and want a recommendation on porting my wares. I will check out Lulu.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I think I may have actually answered my own question. I'm in the process of slowly porting books over from the Zon to D2D, and I see that D2D has a POD production/distribution service. I have not figured out how to use it yet. It will generate a PDF of your ebook, presumably to use in the file upload of a print version, although I did download the PDF and it was woefully inadequate (of course.) Presumably I can use the same PDF I used for KDP Print (except with a new internal ISBN number) so I'll play with that.

Or not. I don't sell any significant number of paperbacks anyway, and I guess if someone really wants one, they know where to get it. At least for the time being.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations for how to print a single copy of an unpublished manuscript, in book form, rather than loose pages? It's a little over 100,000 words, if that matters. I'm not looking to self-publish, just to give it as a Christmas gift. Thanks!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations for how to print a single copy of an unpublished manuscript, in book form, rather than loose pages? It's a little over 100,000 words, if that matters. I'm not looking to self-publish, just to give it as a Christmas gift. Thanks!
Kinko's or similar. They'll do spiral bound for sure, and sometimes other forms. Failing that, most printeries will take one-off orders. See if any of your local universities have a printery that takes outside jobs.

The big POD outfits may also be an option. Check out the self publishing forum for more info.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Kinko's or similar. They'll do spiral bound for sure, and sometimes other forms. Failing that, most printeries will take one-off orders. See if any of your local universities have a printery that takes outside jobs.

The big POD outfits may also be an option. Check out the self publishing forum for more info.
Thanks! My local university has a printing services department that takes outside orders, and I see there's a reprographics business in the city as well. Good tip.