Status
Not open for further replies.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Hi,

I couldn't find an appropriate sub-forum to post this, so I'll try here.

Has anyone attended this UK festival in previous years (link: http://www.festivalofwriting.com/)?

I was considering it as it has some interesting workshops and pitch sessions, and I have never been to a conference, but its v expensive £485 (almost $800) for the full package.

Any opinions of the agents/editors involved and any personal experiences of the festival would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
$800 for a conference is expensive. And while I'm sure they have a lot of worthwhile things to do there, I think you might be better off starting with a cheaper one, at least for now. See what you can get out of some of these cheaper ones, and then compare it to the Festival of Writing and see then, if the price is worth it.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Thanks, that was my instinct. Its an all-in price with bed and board so I am sure that pumps the price up.

Does anyone know where I can find a handy list of UK/Ireland writing conferences? Searches only seem to through up bits and pieces and outdated info.

Dave

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I love York! I got to spend a couple of days there this past July. At first I thought it seemed pricey, but with accommodations and meals, and a gala event, it might just be nice, if slightly indulgent.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is the first of its kind, so no-one quite knows how it'll work yet.

Even so, I've never seen so many top UK industry people all at one conference. Darley Anderson alone (Martina Cole's agent) or Simon Trewin (top bod at United Agents) would usually be enough to draw the crowds. Still, not everyone's in that league, so it's worth finding out what slots are still available before you commit. What's most interesting to me is why these very busy people are attending. I know the fees are not large, so it looks to me as if they really are genuinely interested in looking for and encouraging new talent.

The one-to-ones are what would most attract me: the chance to pitch directly to a top agent (and they really are top) and get feedback on your own work. There are mini book-doctor crits too, from writers and editors who usually charge quite a lot as consultants.

It is expensive, but I'd guess the hotel and meals are a huge part of that. At least everyone's staying in the same place so you get to network in the evenings as well. Whether that's worth it for you is a personal decision - it looks as if it's possible to do a part-package and only join on the Saturday.

I don't like to give more of a recommendation than that because I'm now (very tangentially) involved in it myself - I'm one of the very, very small people doing an obscure workshop on the second day, probably for those whose first choice was unavailable. But if any AW'ers do decide to come, please do let me know, and let's at least have a beer.

Louise

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Damn. Could it not be any time after May and before December? It's my busy work time and April is by far the busiest month and I'd have no way of attending. Bum bum bum. So close for a change too!

Status
Not open for further replies.