Critique Circle #2 [Europe Chapter] - 2010 posts archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Moderator info insert:
AW IRC Chat Channel Information (How to get into the Chat Rooms)

Online Greenwich Mean Time clock to help avoid confusion between GMT and British Summer Time (= GMT +1 hour).

Hey, everyone. An idea has come to my attention (thanks to Birol) and would like to get feedback.

Many of you have already seen the parent topic of this one (Critique Circle - by Birol) and many of you complained about the timing, like myself. So, I've started this thread in hopes of giving a new home for those of us who'd like to join a critique circle.

The idea goes like this:
1)We will pick up a time that best suits the majority of us.
Of course, some of us will still find the timing uncomfortable, so those could start a third circle.

2)We will also be connected with the first circle. That means, same day as them but different timing (obviously).

3)Everyone's welcome. That means members from the first circle could still participate, if they should choose to. This way, they could maximize the feedback for their work.

Please tell me if this interests you.

Last edited by a moderator:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Hey, everyone. An idea has come to my attention (thanks to Birol) and would like to get feedback.

Many of you have already seen the parent topic of this one (Critique Circle - by Birol) and many of you complained about the timing, like myself. So, I've started this thread in hopes of giving a new home for those of us who'd like to join a critique circle.

The idea goes like this:
1)We will pick up a time that best suits the majority of us.
Of course, some of us will still find the timing uncomfortable, so those could start a third circle.

2)We will also be connected with the first circle. That means, same day as them but different timing (obviously).

3)Everyone's welcome. That means members from the first circle could still participate, if they should choose to. This way, they could maximize the feedback for their work.

Please tell me if this interests you.

As I sometimes keep weird hours, I'd like to know of the different hours you guys would be meeting in the event I'm still up/around at that time. :)

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
What about time differences in different countries?

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Probably we should also be talking genres, and timing in GMT?

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
GMT would be the best timing here. Everyone should choose a timeframe in GMT, and then we'll decide. About different genres, let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

As for me, I'm probably comfortable around 9 PM GMT. But this could change, what about you guys?

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks,

I am GMT +1, but I would love to be involved too.

This gives me roughly an hour to figure out how to do that chat thing.

Has anybody here been involved with a critique circle before?

Dave

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
GMT here too. I guess we need a moderator, or clear rules to start off. I don't want to see any trolls nor spammers interfering with us.

Whoever is interested in the US-centric schedule please check in here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4506270#post4506270

You've got a point there. So, how about we follow the same rules as the US group? What do you think about that?

And Dave, that's an issue I wanted to discuss later. But since you've brought it up, I have no experience in this critique group business. I have not even attended one. In that manner, a more 'seasoned' member of this group should co-run the group with me.
Oh, I'm GMT+3 (for the next 3 weeks, I'll be GMT+2)

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
I've been in a critique group since 2008. We can follow the US rules, Biron is OK with us to copy and paste those rules here.

What about 3pm GMT once a month? Or once a week?

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
I have never been involved in one either, so I am out of the running.

But, I have now successfully deciphered the mysteries of being both a basic chat room user, and a basic calendar reader.

I guess we need a leader to begin with.

Dave

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's good. Laura, you should co-run this group (if not entirely run it :p).

3pm seems OK for now. So I'm good with it. So, shall we begin this Monday, as well?
Although I think it's a bit early, since we lack members. So, what do you think?

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, not much experience criting either but would like to give it a whirl.
Can work in 3p GMT.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Hey DH :)
Good. So far, 3pm seems a good fit. But still we need more input.

Last edited:

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hello all
Ok, I can run it (or co-run it :D ). I think we can start Monday the 31st of Jan instead.
How many of you has something ready to be critiqued?

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
These are the rules that Birol set up for the other crit group. She agreed that we can use them as we need.

WHEN & WHERE

When: The last Monday of each month at 3:00pm GMT.
February Meeting: For this time we'll do it Monday, February 1st at 3:00pm GMT
Where: Jed (JVC) has offered to set up a private chat room just for the critique circle. It will be reachable through the AW link or through an IRC. Instructions and password will follow. *nudges JVC* (Please, everyone remember to thank him.)

HOW

* The author(s) who is being critiqued will send me (Laurafre for this group) their pages at least one week before our meeting. In turn, I will forward them on to the group. (This keeps everyone from having to keep track of everyone’s e-mail addresses.)
* Everyone who is not the author will read the pages and prepare comments, questions, etc. prior to the group meeting. (NOTE: It is very important to the success of the crit circle that everyone come to the meeting prepared for discussion.)
* Should anyone want to socialize, show up early and do so before the meeting is scheduled to begin.
* The crit circle will begin right on time.
* At the beginning of the crit circle, we will go around and everyone will give their comments, etc. During this time, the author will sit quietly and listen, with the exception of an occasional question for clarity. (We’ll do this for about 1.0 to 1.5 hours, depending.)
* For the next (last?) 30 minutes, the critters will be quiet while the author takes the opportunity to asks questions and seek clarification.
* We’ll provide the author’s e-mail address so comments can be e-mailed directly to the author for further review and consideration.
* Afterwards, we can hang out and have some general discussion on writing, life, etc., should anyone want to do so.

There is some flexibility in this. We’ll figure out what works for us, as a group, as we go along.

MORE THOUGHTS

I know this e-mail is already long and a lot to absorb, but I would like to add that I fully expect this crit circle to be somewhat fluid. Most of you have professed that you’ve never done anything like this before. I expect that through this experience you will learn what works for you and what doesn’t. You will meet other writers whose styles and personalities are similar to your own and whose skills are complementary to yours. I expect that, over time, you will break into smaller groups as you grow as writers. This will not be an insult to me; I will be happy to see you do so. When the time comes, I ask only one thing: Let me know so I can remove your name from the group mailing.

This is also why the group must continue to be open to new members, so they will have the opportunity to have the same benefits as you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know and I will address them as I am able.

*nudges Birol* (Please, everyone remember to thank her.)

Last edited:

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
Laura and Ehab.,

I have a chapter just finished with it's first revision. It is genre (fantasy). It runs a little over 4500 words.

It might be too soon to crit. If somebody has something that might be ready for submission, it might be better to give them the crit slot for the first month.

And, do we need to handle this via email or some other method?

Dave

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't have anything ready, yet. So, if no one has something ready, I think you can take this slot. Ok, Laura and myself will organize things here.
Now, Dave, if no one claims the slot (one who's more ready), then send Laura your critique piece. Once members lists themselves with us, we'll forward your work to them.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, this proposed critique circle offers exposure to other novices.

I know that during my initial years at writing novels I would not have been able to contribute much to such a group and I would also not have been able to distinguish between sound or not-so-sound advice.

I do hope it works for you folks but can someone explain to me how this will provide better feedback than already exists through the SYW Forum, where ill-founded comments or advice are usually quickly counterbalanced by more experienced critters.

Also - and I may be completely alone or wrong here - might the setting up of separate circles be a possible thin edge of the wedge and risking a splintering and possible breakdown of the existing critique Forums?

Just wondering.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
I just woke up and will do my best to answer w/only one cup of joe.
See your point about novices, like myself, offering incorrect advice though thats is part of belonging to AW, the opportunity to see whats correct, what works, etc.

As for chat rooms over forums, there's a discussion not posts.

*ahh, second cup. i can see now*

As for SYW forum breakdown - dont see that happening. Not everyone wants a critique group which is why this place is so big
Did i say all this correct or do i need more coffee?

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, this proposed critique circle offers exposure to other novices.

I know that during my initial years at writing novels I would not have been able to contribute much to such a group and I would also not have been able to distinguish between sound or not-so-sound advice.

I do hope it works for you folks but can someone explain to me how this will provide better feedback than already exists through the SYW Forum, where ill-founded comments or advice are usually quickly counterbalanced by more experienced critters.

Also - and I may be completely alone or wrong here - might the setting up of separate circles be a possible thin edge of the wedge and risking a splintering and possible breakdown of the existing critique Forums?

Just wondering.
Well, I don't know myself. But one thing leverages the critique groups over SYW is the fast real-time nature of the chat rooms. Also, like Dave's said, not all want forums. Maybe Laura could chime in about this, but generally, you wouldn't lose anything by participating.

About your ice-age meltdown... I don't see that happening, but maybe I'm near-sighted.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry, don't know what I did with my previous post! LOL

My opinion is this won't interfere with the SYW forum.
Some people feel comfortable in sharing their work in public, others don't. Participants can post their WIP there too, or if they are not happy with the chat or with the circle, they can leave it or create new ones. There are infinite options available.

As Ehab stated on his 1st post, he created this 3d (and this new group) to enroll people who wanted to join Birol's critique circle http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167641 but couldn't because of their different location around the world, therefore different time.

Personally speaking, I am here to learn and want to receive feedback from novices and/or more experienced critters. It's up to me to decide where I will go with that.

And everyone is welcome to join us.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score

Just wondering.

I don't see it as a possible splintering or breakdown of existing critique forums. Each person absorbs information in different ways and is comfortable in different settings.

This is a learning opportunity as well as a chance for social interaction for all involved.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you kindly folks for the explanations. As the song goes, I can see clearly now the rain has gone.

I understand and wish the circles every success. :Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.