"Previously published"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuvcat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm posting in the wrong place-- if so please redirect me.

I have a story that I currently have posted on my non-profit website. I have decided to take the plunge and edit it to submit to a publisher. My question is, should I take it off the internet completely before I even try to submit it to anyone? At least one publisher I've looked at say they won't accept anything that's been "previously published." Is posting it online technically "publishing" it?

As an aside: What about dedication pages (i.e.; “Dedicated to my inspiring three cats, Jim, Bob and Joe”)? Are you allowed to submit them along with the manuscript? Or should you hold off on those until they actually accept it?

Forgive my ignorance... I'm a noob for a reason. Thanks very much in advance.
Melanie

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Look at it from a publisher's POV. Why would they want to pay you for something if people can read it online for free?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shuvcat, Welcome to AW.

I'm not really sure how to answer your first question, as you haven't given enough details. So, let me answer the second first - no, you do not send dedication pages, acknowledgments, etc, with your manuscript. That comes only after a publisher has bought your manuscript and you are getting the finalized draft ready for publication.

As for the first question, you say it's a story you are getting ready to edit and send out to publishers...Is it a novel-length manuscript? A short story? Something else?

I am assuming it is a novel-length manuscript you envision as a book (and I am assuming that is what it is since you mentioned a dedication page) - if so, then I would advise that you take all but short excerpts, (10% or less?) of the story off your website and do some research on whether it will be considered published because you have had it posted. It may be, depending on factors like if it is password protected, and how long it's been up.

And your questions also tell me you have some additional research to do on publishing :)

If it is a novel-length manuscript, are you sure you want to approach publishers directly?

I would advise you to spend some time here on AW reading up on the publishing process and agents, etc. Because my advice would be to find an agent to represent you, once the book is ready to be read by prospective agents.

You can read more on agents and why you might want one several places on AW - look around and read the threads.

And, before you start approaching agents or publishers, you'll want to make sure the story (whatever it is) is as strong as you can make it.

So, also here on AW, you can post excerpts for critique or find some beta readers. But before you do that, make sure you've read up on the process, and the expectations of editors and agents, and that you read the "Before you post" thread and any "sticky" threads in the Share Your Work Forum.

And get to know some of the other AWers, by posting in the newbie forum and reading some of the threads and commenting. It will improve responses when you eventually do post for critique.

So, take some time and read around on AW until you have figured out which path to follow.

Good luck. And welcome.

~suki

Shuvcat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody. I guess it would be called a novella; it's currently over 48k words, I'm trying to get it over 50k. It's a mix of fantasy, supernatural and romance. (no it's not a Twilight rip-off)

I'll be sure to check around the forum. Thanks again!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's at 48,000 words, round up to 50,000. Is it for the adult or YA market? The wordcount is fine for a YA novel, but short for adult. But if you query it as a novella, you're pretty much dead in the water - very, very, very few agents (none I can think of) represent novellas because they are exceptionally hard to sell.

if it is adult, I'd suggest getting the wordcount above 60,000 words to improve your chances.

good luck.

~suki

Shuvcat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Suki- I call it an adult novel because there are at least two sex scenes, but they're less racy than some stuff I've on network TV. I guess it could be a YA. Thank you!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
You're dedication page can be arranged after it's accepted for publication. don't include it in your submissions.

I was actually asked by my publisher if I wanted to include one.

Status
Not open for further replies.