Critique Circle #1 (North American-centric; 9PM Central; Last Monday of the Month)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Moderator info insert:
AW IRC Chat Channel Information (How to get into the Chat Rooms)

Hypothetically speaking, how many of you weirdos would be interested in having a once-a-month critique circle in the chat room? If so, who would be interested in submitting pages (not an entire novel) for critique for the first one? Also, what day of the week and time would work best for you?

All hypothetically speaking, of course.

ETA: Would you be willing to share your e-mail address with anyone who participated? What writing level to you consider yourself to be at?

Last edited by a moderator:

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, how many of you weirdos would be interested in having a once-a-month critique circle in the chat room? If so, who would be interested in submitting pages (not an entire novel) for critique for the first one? Also, what day of the week and time would work best for you?

All hypothetically speaking, of course.

ETA: Would you be willing to share your e-mail address with anyone who participated? What writing level to you consider yourself to be at?

Definitely. Any time US EST after 5pm. Weekends are open. Email is perfectly fine.

Writing level?
Coherence: 5 out of 10
Grammar: 8 out of 10
Sentence Structure: 6.5 out of 10
Readability and Interest: 7 out of 10

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Count me in!

I do this in real life...a once-a-month critique group...in the comfort of my own home. 8 of us. I'd love to do it in the chat room. I have a new novel I'm ready to start getting feedback on.

Count me in. Awesome idea.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Okay, this is why I stuck that question about writing level in there, almost as an afterthought: My experience has taught me that critique circles/writing groups work best when the individuals are of comparative ability. It keeps the less experienced writers from feeling overwhelmed or slammed and the more experienced writers from feeling like they are teaching without getting any personal benefit from the arrangement. So, I was wondering if we might have to split up into multiple groups or something. I only came up with the idea of the crit circle about 30 seconds before I posted the idea, so it's still very much in a state of development.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Schedule permitting, I would be into that! Yes, I'd be willing to submit pages. Yes, I would give out my email address. Writing level: umm, better than sucky?

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested. (I can't believe I just said that. I hate commitment. I even avoided the 2010 goals thread.) Email fine.

Evenings after 6pm EST, weekends better (after noon).

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested as long as I don't get stuck sitting by Kevin. Any weeknight after 9:30-10 EST would be good for me.

Good idear. :)

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested. I open Weekdays after 9:30 PM CST. Sunday anytime. Email is fine.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Um I'd be interested in this but I see most everyone is EST and I am MST...So there's quite a time difference going on so it may or may not work out for me :)

But all of it sounds good.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I'd love it and I'd be there, schedule permitting. Sunday evenings (after 4pm EST) are right out for me. During the week I can be up till all hours to accomodate west coasters but depending on the day will determine how late I can get on.

Writing level? I'd put myself at beginner but I'm also not good at gauging these things so...

Email? Sure!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I would love this- after 6pm works most nights for me Tues and Thurs would be a bit later though around 8pm- email is fine- I have a new WIP I need feedback on. great Idea!

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think this would be a great motivator for me. I would be free in the evenings after 8:30 pm CST(weekdays).

Writing ability? Beginner. Email? A-okay.

Last edited:

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
For now, inclined to say curious and interested, as I've no experience with them. Writing ability...I'd guess mostly beginner but probably depends on POV :p

Doh, forgot to note times. Weekdays after 7pm CST, or weekends most any time except mornings (I sleep in :p), and email is fine

Last edited:

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Writing level: umm, better than sucky?

YES! haha... ditto.

I think this is a great idea. There is a writer's group at the library downtown... but it meets during the day when I'm at work. :( And I would happily share my email, credit card number, and first born child. Okay, the first one anyway.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Oh, I would be interested. This sounds fun. I am available any day except Thursdays. Weekends are more flexible.

Writing level? I'm not sure. I have a few things circulating in small press, but I have a lot to learn yet.

Sandy Shin

procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandyshin.com
This sounds like a wonderful, and I'd love to participate. During weekdays, I am (most likely) free after CST 7 pm.

Writing level: very much a beginner. Email: sure!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I would be interested in a group which was going to critique outlines/synopses/concepts. Not interested in critiquing pages/chapters.
I'd be MORE up for something like this as well.

But if there isn't enough interest in it, then the regular critique group (pages etc.) would be fine too.

I consider myself still a beginner.
I'm Pacific Standard. Any nights but Mondays and Thursdays are good for me.
OK to share email.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
This sounds like an idea. I live on the west coast and am available everyday after 12PM. I log off at 4PM and come back on around 5:30-6PM and log off again at 7:30. PST.

Level: Novice. Newbie. Beginner. Pick an adjective.

As for email, sure. That's not a problem.

Grand_Maester

Registered
Reaction score
I would be very interested, but unfortunately my schedule is very fluid. I can probably manage once-a-month meetings, but trips and stuff may interfere.
Writing ability... I would consider myself fairly mediocre. Email is fine.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm generally free evenings ('bout 8:30 EST on until the wee hours of the morning).

Last edited:

MAP

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give it a try, weekdays after 7 pm MST, weekends are more open. I'd be willing to share my e-mail address. As for writing level, I think I'm decent.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested, but I live way on the other side of the world. :( Is it possible to do something for the Americans, and maybe something else for those of us in the rest of the world? It's much easier to catch me at a normal British time than an American one. Then again, if I'm the only one who's really out of the loop time-wise, then you can just leave me out as well. Obviously I wouldn't expect people to change a time slot just to accommodate me. :)

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Don't wanna sound like a total newbie, but what exactly does this group entail? I mean what sort of commitment would be involved? As I have never participated in such things, I wouldn't know about it.

I'm still a beginner and haven't written a novel and my WIP is still one chapter in. I want to join in because I think it'll help me greatly, of course helping others, as well. So, would someone lay it out for me? Thanks.

ETA: I'm also on a different timing than that of America. Like, AlishaS and kaitie, you can leave me out, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.