Why Most Romance Couples Start Off Hating Each Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
To me, this has been done so many times in books, movies, and tv that it's practically a cliche. Most couples in romance stories seem to start off on the wrong foot. They may be rivals, strangers, or one of course just wants nothing to do with the other. Then they start to get to know each other and love begins to grow. But then something happens that breaks them apart and one hates the other even more, and the other person spends the rest of the story trying to redeem himself/herself to win him/her back, he/she succeeds, end of story.

Another example is where the guy is a charming young man who many women swoon over, and the gal is the only who doesn't feel that way towards him, and who may actually despise him to begin with. And it is her he ultimately gets together with in the end.

Why does these things happen in romance stories or between couples in fiction? What purpose does it serve? Is it some kind of rule?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yup.. Love at first sight would not make much of a story.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Yup.. Love at first sight would not make much of a story.
I disagree intensely, but that's not important.

It's done because it's seen to work. But it's hardly imaginative, it's a cookie-cutter element.
Most real life couples probably don't start out hating each other...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Most real life couples also start out boring. ;)

KiraOnWhite

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe people think it's cute because "they're so in denial"? Or maybe it's just poor build up to hatesex. Another possibility is to highlight the painful side of love, but that's giving too much credit in most cases.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of couples who starts off thinking each other as idiots (in a funny manner, I hate wangst).

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Story is conflict. She is overcoming her aversion to him because he represents the thing missing from her life, which apparently is true love....OK, OK, why is it never the other way around? If there is a story where HE has to overcome an aversion to HER bla bla true love etc etc, let me know. And what's so great about true love? Why can't she represent his need to do great things, go from rags to riches, things like that? Well, then it wouldn't be romance, I know. Actually achieving things is not romantic.
And then there's the couple who divorce after many years who rekindle their romantic feelings for each other meme. Why is their moving on not romantic in it's way? Wouldn't you want to double your money and have them both finding a new love on their own? Well, it doesn't hurt to ask.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sure, when you rip apart the madly in love couple it's interesting, but every second they're smooching it up on page is only slightly less boring than vanilla ice cream.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Is it some kind of rule?

Yes, actually. In the industry, "romance" is defined as a story in which two characters meet, have some serious tension, find a reason why they can't be together (whether it's because they hate each other at first or because something else keeps them apart...), and in the end they overcome their obstacle and end up happily ever after. That is literally what makes a romance a romance.

You can call it cliche, but it defines the genre, just as "magic happening in an unrealistic setting" defines fantasy, and "speculative story about humanity's relation to science and/or technology" defines sci-fi.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
In my WIP, it's love at first sight, but a "Jesus Christ I can't fall for him" kind of thing, so I get the heat and the tension going at once. And he, isn't young and swoonworthy.

He is spongeworthy though.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sure, when you rip apart the madly in love couple it's interesting, but every second they're smooching it up on page is only slightly less boring than vanilla ice cream.

Then you're doing it wrong.

Reaction score
Oops.

*deletes 50k of my 62k-nearly-finished-WIP*

Bluegate

Clearly has too much time on hand.
Registered
Reaction score
What is this? Some kind of stalker question?
Hmm. Then my husband and I must have either gotten something wrong or we have a hit movie on our hands. LOL
First instant I saw him I heard a big booming voice in head saying "he's the one." The next instant I wanted to kill him with my bare hands. It went back and forth like that with each of us trading places in love and hate, never in sync. We managed to hit every flipping cliché in the book except one...neither of us inherited a huge sum of money. Darn, could have used that one.

We have always had a strong healthy relationship and we've been together for 27 years.
I like the stories where the couple struggles with one another because honestly, I can relate to them more.

Reaction score
I prefer books where everyone dies in the end, hating each other.

I can relate to those more.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Ripping apart madly-in-love characters and making them suffer is so much more fun than watching the played-out romance of will-they/won't they?

This.

Out of almost 20 romances, I've only had written one couple that hated each other at the beginning of the story. However, they were exes...they'd been in love, recently split up, and weren't too thrilled with each other, but due to circumstances, were stuck in close proximity.

Otherwise, I usually don't really care for the "I hate you...wait, I love you." Maybe I just don't like how it's been executed, or I've read it too much, I don't know. Generally speaking, I haven't been thrilled with stories that start out that way, and by the time the characters do fall in love, I'm either thinking "it's about fucking time, you idiots" or "whut? He's a DICK, you idiot!"

That, and it's hardly the only way to create conflict in a romance. Most of my couples want to be together, but can't or shouldn't be for various reasons. As Kuwi said, it's so much more fun to keep two people apart who want to be together. :D I'm evil, I know...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
When two characters who hate each other in the beginning fall in love with each other later, they better have had a damn good reason for both emotions.

And when it happens that reason should be the conflict, not the artificial reason that they think they shouldn't or can't love each other.

And if they get too caught up in that kind of artificial thinking instead of trying to face the actual reason, I'm probably going to think they're idiots.

No, wait, I will think they're idiots.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
When two characters who hate each other in the beginning fall in love with each other later, they better have had a damn good reason for both emotions.

And when it happens that reason should be the conflict, not the artificial reason that they think they shouldn't or can't love each other.

And if they get too caught up in that kind of artificial thinking instead of trying to face the actual reason, I'm probably going to think they're idiots.

No, wait, I will think they're idiots.

QFT. All of it.

Reaction score
This reminds me of the accusation that boys only pull the pigtails of girls they like in the playground.

And I don't want playground reasons for being mean to each other in a grown-up novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.