• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Storm Moon Press

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Some Numbers

Submitted: 10/12/2012 for anthology closing on 12/31/2012
First Reader Approval: 1/17/2013--acceptance dependent on antho filling
Contract Issued: 2/14/2013 (Happy Valentine's Day to me!)

They've also expressed an interest in more stories set in the world-setting used for my submission.

Fanatic_Dreamer

Daydreaming Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in contact with the owner of Storm Moon Press and she's been nothing but respectful and professional.

She currently has my full and I'll post back how it goes. I'm still waiting to hear back and very nervous!

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
"Are shorts under 20k for special calls only?"

I was wondering something similar. I have a short story that I was going to submit to a call and I posted about that here. I deleted the entry when I got confused on the story length and decided against submitting the story.

There are contrary bits of information in terms of short stories.

On one page:

We accept submissions for:
Short stories (5,000 to 19,999 words)[...] Short story submissions are limited to anthology lines and themed releases only, no exceptions,

General Submissions

Then on the anthology page:

Submissions must be between 10,000 and 20,000 words.

So, the question for me is, how do you submit stories between 5-10k? I have looked through their short stories and have found stories under 10k.

Last edited:

StormMoonPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stormmoonpress.com
Hello, Elindsen & Samantha! We've sent a response to your e-mail inquiry, but I wanted to post this up here just in case others ended up having the same questions. Obviously, there were more than two people getting confused, so I'm happy to try to clarify!

Typically, there are a couple anthology calls throughout the year that call for a shorter length than our usual 10-20K (such as our Coffee Break Quickies call, which could be anything from 2,500 to 5,000 in length, or Queer Fear, which was 8-12K). We will also consider short stories under 10,000 words from authors who have contracted with us previously. An example of this is Cornelia Grey's Apples and Regret and Wasted Time. That short was one we took a chance on, and it's had an incredibly positive reception.

In our experience, short stories, especially ones shorter than 10,000 words, don't sell as well as novella or novel length submissions. As such, we're taking more of a risk on contracting short stories, so we pick and choose carefully when it comes to extending contracts for single release short stories. Now, if you have several short stories that you put together into a single-author collection, that's a slightly different situation, and we would deal with that kind of submission on a case by case basis.

I hope this answered everyone's questions! If any aspect of our policy is still confusing, please don't hesitate to e-mail us with the question. We're always happy to help out so you know whether your stories are a good fit with us or not.

Thanks again for bringing this up!

~K. Piet

Marketing Director
Storm Moon Press, LLC
http://www.stormmoonpress.com/

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Anything new in the world of Storm Moon/Budding Moon?
I'm polishing a YA novel and am thinking about sending it to them.
TIA! :)

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
Last I heard anything official, they weren't accepting submissions from people who weren't already published with them -- but that was several months ago, before they switched to a new author loop; my request to join the new one has never been approved.

They did host a convention this spring, and told at least one author afterward that they wanted to focus more on the con and "scale back SMP in a lot of ways"; Q1 royalty payments were late, apparently due to the conference and pet health issues, and several of us got emails offering us the chance to buy back our stories from them during the delay. Draw what conclusions you will from that.

adrinyme

Adri Nyme
Registered
Reaction score
A friend had payment issues last year, as well. The owners needed to move on short notice and didn't have the money to do that and also pay their authors. I think it was June? I don't know more than that, but it's a recurring issue, from what Laylah says about this year's delays.

MorganHarcourt

Registered
Reaction score
I was one of the authors offered the buyout option-- as a completely different interpretation of the "editor fee" clause clarified in post #22. Rather than being a fee to take ownership of the typeset galleys as stated in this thread, I was told that this clause would allow me to buy a partial rights reversion. Storm Moon Press would retain the nonexclusive right to publish and sell the story as part of the anthology it originally appeared in, but not as a standalone short story. The price I was quoted for the reversion was the editor's fee from the contract, minus the amount they were in arrears for my royalties.

Notably, given how the clause was interpreted here before, the amended contract would have required me to pay an additional fee on top of the reversion to use the typeset galleys. I would have been required to attribute the story to Storm Moon Press in any future publication (a clause not present in my original contract) regardless of whether or not these galleys were purchased.

In the interests of full disclosure: I didn't take the option, and I was paid my full royalties owed after I declined the buyout. I have no interest in self-publishing the story in question and it's not enough of a reversion to attempt to place the work elsewhere, so this option didn't make much economic sense for me.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I didn't see anything on the website that said they aren't accepting unsolicited manuscripts, but I could've looked through it (wouldn't be the first time). :)

StormMoonPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stormmoonpress.com
To answer WriterInChains' question, yes, we're now open to unsolicited submissions again. However, what Laylah said about us scaling back is correct. We've wanted SMP to remain small, and the growth began to go beyond our original intent for the press. So, while we're still open to submissions (both for our anthologies and full, unsolicited manuscripts), we are being more particular about what we acquire and have a new acquisitions editor who is very meticulous. Doesn't mean no one has a chance getting published with us, but it does mean we want to pick and choose which books we go ahead with for the future.

~K. Piet

Marketing Director
Storm Moon Press, LLC

TheOtherDuckling

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about how long to expect to hear back from Storm Moon Press for Anthology submissions? I've searched the website but couldn't find much info, and I sent an email over a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about how long to expect to hear back from Storm Moon Press for Anthology submissions? I've searched the website but couldn't find much info, and I sent an email over a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

Hi! SMP's Acquisitions Director, here. We aim for about 8 weeks, but we've got a bit of a backlog at the moment. I'm sorry to hear that we missed your email. I personally check the box at stormmoonpress at gmail dot com, so please do feel free to shoot me an email if you have any concerns.

Best,
Kathleen

TheOtherDuckling

Registered
Reaction score
I personally check the box at stormmoonpress at gmail dot com, so please do feel free to shoot me an email if you have any concerns.

Best,
Kathleen

Thanks Kathleen! I hadn't been able to find that email on the site, so I ended up sending my message to the editors email provided under the 'contact us' page.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Congrats on the new aquisitions position, WildS. :)

StormMoonPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stormmoonpress.com
Hello, everyone. This is just a quick, official statement from us owners at SMP.

Effective immediately, Storm Moon Press has closed its doors to outside submissions. There are several reasons behind this, but it is mostly because one of us owners has become chronically ill, so our priorities as individuals have shifted toward taking care of the health issues that have arisen. With less time to devote to Storm Moon Press, we are basically shutting our doors. This might ultimately be a temporary thing, but it will at the very least be an extended hiatus. The press' website will remain open, and various titles will remain on sale. At this time, we are in communication with our authors to see if they would like to negotiate for their rights back (it's not their fault we're so drastically cutting back with the press, after all) or let their books with us see out their contract terms to their natural ends. Each author is being treated individually, which means that our catalog might go through a few changes in the next couple months as we get all our current authors squared away.

After that, there will be the occasional release from the press, but we won't be putting out very many titles each year. Those we do will be either titles that are currently in production or from authors who have worked with us in the past and choose to do so again.

We're incredibly grateful to all the authors and staff who have worked with us at SMP, and are humbled by those who are continuing to do so as we go through this transition and face the health and wellness challenges that we're up against at our home base.

Thank you to readers for your patronage and support over the last five years we've been in business. Without all the readers and the exceptional authors we've worked with, Storm Moon Press would never have been a reality, and you all have our most sincere gratitude.

~K. Piet, S.L. Armstrong, Roger Armstrong

Owners
Storm Moon Press, LLC

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything on the Storm Moon submission guidelines pages about being closed to submissions - have things changed?

StormMoonPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stormmoonpress.com
Hello, CaPooF.

We are currently closed to submissions. The press has downsized greatly, so apart from a couple ongoing projects that we already have contracted in our queue and our open anthology calls, we are closed to submissions. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll have a word with our webmaster to try to make everything more clear on the website.

~K. Piet

Owner, Marketing Director
Storm Moon Press, LLC

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Hello, CaPooF.

We are currently closed to submissions. The press has downsized greatly, so apart from a couple ongoing projects that we already have contracted in our queue and our open anthology calls, we are closed to submissions. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll have a word with our webmaster to try to make everything more clear on the website.

~K. Piet

Owner, Marketing Director
Storm Moon Press, LLC

Just an FYI: The website hasn't been updated and still shows info from 2013.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity after '16.