Not open for further replies.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
This is not a "where" question so much as a "when" question but I didn't want to start a new thread.

My story is about 10k (pending one more edit pass could go up or down), it's sci-fi and I'm in the process of researching the genre magazines. But the prompt for the story can be summed up as "alien nativity play with a dark twist" and so while it's not explicitly Christmasy, it would fit in a Christmas (or at least November/December) issue. Should I try to time submitting with that in mind or would that be too limiting?

For me, limiting stories to annual holiday submission windows stretches my patience thin. (I've got a Halloween mystery that loiters on my hard drive from Nov/Dec through June/July.)

So if the story you described were mine, I'd definitely take a shot at non-holiday issues first, especially if their typical response time suggested I'd get an answer before Nov/Dec submission deadlines passed.

Good luck!

rainbowsheeps

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to compile a list of places to send a story. I plan to aim high where possible, but also have a big list of journals, such that I can keep sending it out if/when rejections roll in. This is my first attempt at publishing shorts, though, so I'm amenable to suggestions.

Title: Six
Word count: 9200 words (so length is a critical piece)
Genre: Literary
Perspective: First person, present tense
Rating: contains some graphic violence, profanity, and a little sexual content
Premise: One man scrambles through the chaotic streets of a city to return home to his wife just hours before the world ends.

I know the types of authors I like - Cormac McCarthy, Michael Chabon, Jonathan Lethem, Jonathan Safran Foer, and smaller authors like Craig Clevenger, Will Christopher Baer... writers that often deal with somewhat "raw" subject matter, and sometimes using experimental styles or writing. But the big authors publish in big journals, if at all, and the small authors publish in places that don't exist anymore. I haven't encountered other magazines lately that are both ambitious and take longer works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chiara Nova

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I wrote a magical, wintery story and I'm wondering where I can send it to. It's not specific christmas-y, though autumn and winter would be the best periods to read it. It can be a children's story, though I think the language may be a bit too much for children, so maybe more a story for children to enjoy but not specifically for them to read themselves. Adults and young adults can enjoy the story as well. It's atmospheric with a magical plot twist. It's a short story of about 1300 words.

I realize that now may not be the best time to send the story, as wintery stories would be published around december, but any tips where I can send it to maybe sometime next year would be great as well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Status
Not open for further replies.