And who says magic doesn't exist?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I swear, New Year's in Japan is just an absolutely magical night. You go out, and it's the middle of the night and quiet and you're all alone, and then the bells start. These long, haunting bells that echo through the air and fade out into nothing. And sometimes they're coupled with drums that start out slow, and then go faster and faster and louder and louder all building up to that next chime.

And pretty soon you're not walking all by yourself anymore. There are other people on the street as well, a family here, a couple there, and then the streets are filled with people all going to the shrine, lining up to pray. Everyone coming together for this one moment. It doesn't last very long, but for as long as it does, it's beautiful.

And tonight we had the most amazing full moon overhead. It was so bright you could even make out the green of the trees on the hills. It was just amazing.

Happy New Year everyone.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had one of those kinds of full moons here over the summer. Never saw a moon that totally bright before. I called my housemate and daughter out onto the porch and we just stood there, looking. House by house around us, people also came out on and looked around (probably being nebby 'cause we were doing it) until pretty much everyone was out and about. No talking, just quiet observation of something wonderful.

It would be totally awesome if it happened again tonight.

Thanks, Kaitie. Have a great 2010.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
A great post, Kaitie. Beautifully written and a beautiful sentiment. Happy New Year!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
We had one of those kinds of full moons here over the summer. Never saw a moon that totally bright before. I called my housemate and daughter out onto the porch and we just stood there, looking. House by house around us, people also came out on and looked around (probably being nebby 'cause we were doing it) until pretty much everyone was out and about. No talking, just quiet observation of something wonderful.

It would be totally awesome if it happened again tonight.

Thanks, Kaitie. Have a great 2010.

I've never seen it before either. I was just amazed at it as I was walking around. I could see as well as I can during the day. I think it's because I'm not usually out late enough for the full moon to be that high in the sky. It was right overhead tonight. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...And tonight we had the most amazing full moon overhead. It was so bright you could even make out the green of the trees on the hills. It was just amazing...
I was amazed also for a moment when I thought you meant you'd seen trees on the moon from that distance. ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I was amazed also for a moment when I thought you meant you'd seen trees on the moon from that distance. ;)

LOL. Sorry, it was really late. My ability to make sense goes out the window after a certain point. ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Sorry, it was really late. My ability to make sense goes out the window after a certain point. ;)
I knew what you meant, but I couldn't help teasing you a little.

I promise I won't give you a hard time again until next year. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Matera. You can has magik.

Anyone who says you can't is just a bad person!
QFT :p

That sounds wonderful.
I kind of want to visit Japan, and Germany, and Mongolia, and some other places. But I'm too afraid. What if I accidentally do something that gets my hand lopped off? It's a bit late for diplomacy then...

<<Coward and he knows it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
QFT :p

That sounds wonderful.
I kind of want to visit Japan, and Germany, and Mongolia, and some other places. But I'm too afraid. What if I accidentally do something that gets my hand lopped off? It's a bit late for diplomacy then...
<coward and="" he="" knows="" it.[="" quote]="">

They don't lop of hands anymore in Japan. ;) The worst you have to deal with here is attack by ninja. Okay, okay, so that's not true. You do have to worry about random Japanese people on the train practicing their English on you, but after awhile you can figure out in advance which ones will do that and avoid them. :tongue Besides, you have to be here for awhile for that to get annoying. It's actually a really safe place. Visit Kyoto and Nara if you get the chance. Tokyo is pretty overrated, but those two are more than worth it. And Nara has a deer garden!

</coward>
4232485479_52028b55bf.jpg

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It's awesome. The entire center of the city is this huge park with holy deer and you can buy little biscuits to feed them and they mob you and chase you around. :D Very, very cool.

Seriously, if anyone has a chance to make it out to Japan and wants a tour guide to translate for them, let me know! I'd take an excuse to go out there again any day. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The antlers are quite effective. They are also trained to bow on command. (true fact! If I ever figure out how to do video you can see)