MARKETS FOR FREELANCERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
2007 Writer's Market says the Ladies Home Journal writer's guidelines are available online. I searched their site at www.ljh.com and could not find them. Anyone know where they are hiding?

Woo-hoo! At long last, I've found them! They are in the Help section (link at top of page) at lhj.com.

But here's the direct link: http://lhj.com/lhj/file.jhtml?item=/help/writersGuidelines

They also have a very helpful section in the Advertise with Us (print magazine) link that tells what each of the sections are in their magazine. I'm sure that would help for querying.

:) Feeling triumphant.

ETA: So perhaps we should add Ladies Home Journal to the markets list top of thread.

ltd.

Last edited:

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Okay, here are some (I hope I'm not repeating what someone else posted!):
Thanks, Stormie. I've added Highlights and Good Old Days. The other two were listed already.

Well, duh, I've been posting possible parenting markets in the wrong thread. I'll move the others in a bit.

Can you tell I'm looking for some parenting magazine guidelines?.
Thanks Nita. I've added all three.

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
ifreelance.com

Here is the link for a site I just joined.
www.ifreelance.com. It matches authors with specific writing assignments. You have to register for a small fee but it looks like it's worth it. One of my friends has been using it for ages and says he's got lots of freelance work from it. So does another acquaintance.

Seafarer

"Automotive Traveler" just launched

For those writers and photographers who are into both cars and road trips, a new online magazine just launched this week. This is a paying market.

The Web site for Automotive Traveler has a forum and a list of upcoming car rally/touring events, in addition to the magazine itself.

I have an assignment with them in May for a North Carolina/NASCAR article. If you have a pitch in mind for editor Richard Truesdell, read through the magazine and then use the contact form on the site.

Thanks!

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw an ad for this one on a site. Here is the ad:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Website:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.bodynbrain.com[/FONT]
blank.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Description:
National quarterly holistic health/yoga journal based in Sedona, Ariz., seeks professional freelance writers to craft lively, upbeat and informative magazine-style feature articles about nutrition, health, yoga, brain research, spiritual wisdom and other inspirational topics for our savvy, sophisticated and enlightened readers.

Our magazine is currently expanding and therefore we are hiring writers for the following depts.: food and nutrition, holistic health, alternative medicine, film and book reviews, science and brain research, sustainable and green living plus many other departments.

Must be accurate, detail-oriented and creative with a demonstrated ability to seduce readers in the first sentence and then crown it with headlines that glow in the dark. Dry, textbook-style writers need not apply.
body & brain's editorial staff consists of former freelancers who have established writer-friendly policies, such as North American rights and payment upon acceptance. We believe that freelance contributors deserve respect, dignity, timely pay and the rights to their intellectual property.

For details about our magazine, its mission, freelance depts. and editorial policies, download our Writers Guidelines at www.bodynbrain.com.
Interested? Here's what you need to do: DO NOT SEND YOUR RESUME OR CLIPS. Instead, READ our Writers Guidelines and our magazine and then SUBMIT A QUERY IN THE FORMAT HIGHLIGHTED IN THE GUIDE.
As former copy editors, we feel that clips fail to reflect a writer's work. Instead, send us THE ORIGINAL, UNEDITED VERSION of your work, noting when and where it was published, along with a cover letter that shows us who you really are and why your writing and ideas qualify for an assignment. Submit your material with a resume and any links to [email protected] or fax 928-282-8467. WHILE WE WILL ONLY BE RESPONDING TO FORMAL QUERIES AND STORY PROPOSALS AT THIS TIME, WE WILL KEEP YOUR CREDENTIALS ON FILE FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION. QUERIES MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE FORMAT OUTLINED IN OUR WRITERS GUIDELINES AND MUST REFLECT OUR CONTENT GOALS, TONE AND STYLE.

And the guidelines are at: http://www.bodynbrain.com/img/writers_guideline.pdf
[/FONT]

Body & Brain is closing down. More info here: http://www.bodynbrain.com/

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
How many of you use writersmarket.com? I have for a few years but more recently found them to lack specific contact information like they used to. Seems like a waste of money...without that "in" person, it's pretty much info anyone can get on here...

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Here is the link for a site I just joined.
www.ifreelance.com. It matches authors with specific writing assignments. You have to register for a small fee but it looks like it's worth it. One of my friends has been using it for ages and says he's got lots of freelance work from it. So does another acquaintance.

Just to let you guys know, this site is not working.

Cindy

upsidedowngrl

Noelle Nolan
Registered
Reaction score
I use WritersMarket.com and yes I agree, lately - their pickings are pretty slim. Most of the magazine guidelines have been removed. I do believe there is more information in the actual paper book.

sica

Registered
Reaction score
New Animal Rescue Magazine--needs freelancers

Hello all! I'm the creator of Poocini Magazine, www.poocini.com, and I'm in real need of freelancers. Starting with a website to further develop our consumer base, we hope to go paper by 2010. For now, the website is slated to go live January 1, 2009, and we still have some slots available.

Poocini Magazine is geared towards dog rescues, shelters, volunteers, and anyone who wants to see a change in the numbers of animals euthanized every day. We have news stories, fun fashion fluff, interviews, exposes, musings and anything else that is relevant to the people who dedicate their lives to becoming a no-kill nation.

We don't pay much (yet), but we DO have a substantial reader base (12-17,000) already established and growing. If you're looking for exposure while working on an important, timely cause to boot--this may be the opportunity for you!

Contact me for a current news sheet of topics still available--we may even ask you to become a regular columnist.
Pay scale will increase as sales team brings more advertisers on board.

Thanks, and happy writing!

Nicole Sica, [email protected]

Christopher True

Registered
Reaction score
Associated Content.

Associated Content

You submit the article, they review it. The pay is from $3.01 to $25.00 per 400 word minimum article.

You also keep the copyrights, and get $1.50 for every 1000 page views. The articles do not expire.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Does anybody know of websites accepting Indian english writers.
presently i am writing for ground report and I write scripts .
Padma

paperboy1005

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this post! I've been looking for an up-to-date guide on freelance markets.

steventeeth

StevenTeeth
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powertoothbrushesreview.com
Hi,
I just joined this forum and this was the first thread I looked at. This is very helpful and inspiring. I've been reading books about writing and dreaming of writing but haven't ever gotten around to writing so I'm hoping information like this will help get me started. Thanks for the great list! Steven

ShannonR.

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see this...I already have a blogging thing but it only pays $8 a post, I'd like to get more readers.

juliatheswede

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Several of the links to these listings don't work. It might need to be updated. Just FYI.

CC_Adam

Registered
Reaction score
Freelancers!

Make sure to check out Cloudcrowd.com. Lots of work available there.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.