I'm slightly concerned I need an exorcist

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, you remember The Amityville Horror, and I think, The Exorcism of Emily Rose? One of the staples of demonic possession stories is the unexplainable plague of flies.

And now to my house --

I'm very particular about the order of my household, so it's clean. Not sterile, but really very tidy. Food is never left out. The trash is covered and emptied regularly. We don't have any pets. There are no funky smells. But there are flies. For the last few weeks, there have been one to four flies - usually at the master bath window. (It's a sealed, one pane window over the tub, so it doesn't open.)

These are big house flies, but I cannot find where they are coming from and why it's only a few at a time - in the dead of winter. There's four inches of snow outside and flies in my house! I killed three yesterday and there are two more back behind the window curtain this morning.

Is my house possessed? What should I be looking for next? Is there a priest in residence here?

Reaction score
You are from your father the devil and you wish to perform the works of Satan.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
You need a flyswatter.

EG

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, but we've been having the same problem, Perks.

Even weirder is the pets that normally kill flies run from these.

Is very strange.

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score

Is very strange.

We've gotten a couple. The cat follows them around the house yelling because he can't get to them. I used to get them in the office too. I think the flies lay the eggs in the outside of the window frame and the newborns are small enough to move in where it is warm. Plastic film on the offending window helps keep them confined.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

Is very strange.
Hey, do you live in North Carolina? Maybe it's the whole state?

I don't know what these things are living on. They don't come downstairs and there's nothing to eat upstairs. Nothing!

It's totally weird.

Help me.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Its doubtful you are truly posessed.
Show a cross or Bible to one of the flies and see how they react. A real demon won't like it much.

EG

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
pfft. they eat your dead skin cells when you are sleeping.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
So, you remember The Amityville Horror, and I think, The Exorcism of Emily Rose? One of the staples of demonic possession stories is the unexplainable plague of flies.

And now to my house --

I'm very particular about the order of my household, so it's clean. Not sterile, but really very tidy. Food is never left out. The trash is covered and emptied regularly. We don't have any pets. There are no funky smells. But there are flies. For the last few weeks, there have been one to four flies - usually at the master bath window. (It's a sealed, one pane window over the tub, so it doesn't open.)

These are big house flies, but I cannot find where they are coming from and why it's only a few at a time - in the dead of winter. There's four inches of snow outside and flies in my house! I killed three yesterday and there are two more back behind the window curtain this morning.

Is my house possessed? What should I be looking for next? Is there a priest in residence here?

No worries, Perks. Chances are one of the little Perks's'ses' caught a squirrel or something for you and wanted to give it to you for Christmas. So, they probably put it in a box and wrapped it up tight. A couple days later they probably realized that they'd forgotten to put holes in the lid, so they grabbed some cutlery from your kitchen drawers and poked some holes in it. They probably didn't realize at the time that they'd injured the squirrel while making the holes, and it died of its injuries.

Well, they didn't want to give you a dead squirrel covered in blood! What kind of gift is that, right? So they used your toothbrush to clean it off. They didn't want yout to find it before Christmas, so they hid it under your mattress - the last place you'd look.

That's probably all it is.

:D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Its doubtful you are truly posessed.
Show a cross or Bible to one of the flies and see how they react. A real demon won't like it much.

EG
I said. "The power of Christ compels you" in my best Max Von Sydow impression, but the damned thing tried to fly up my nose. I have no idea what that means.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
This happens every winter at our place. They are trying to get in out of the cold. They're probably coming in through the fan.

Sorry to be so prosaic. No demons, no body in the walls, no bad housekeeping. Just nature.

Which doesn't stop you from inventing another reason and writing a story about it.

Reaction score
I command you in the name of Jesus to leave this thread!
Vikingwoman.jpg

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Insects and other arthropods will go into topor unless they find a place that's warm. It's really not uncommon to find lively critters in very clean houses during the cold (and wet) months. It's a nicer environment for them.

I work with invertebrates a lot in my line of work. Ghosts and spirits aren't real, but insect biology is (and it's way more awesome, anyway!)

You're fine. They'll go find food and larva-rearing habitat once the spring sunshine arrives.

Oh, and they're probably coming in through the doors when you open them to go in and out.