Newbie needs DS help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of asked this in another DS thread but maybe it I'll have better luck starting my own thread.

I was rejected by DS when I applied about a month ago. I submitted a rather long research paper (maybe 1500 words or so) from a sociology class I am taking at my university as my sample to DS.

They told me they weren't looking for my type of writing (or something along those lines) in their email.

Are they looking for more seo type of stuff? I've done quite a bit of that since I've started freelancing. Or what kind of content articles are they looking for?

I checked out a contributing editor on ehow (someone on here mentioned that the contributing editors articles are the ones that come from ds writers) and, to tell you the truth, they seem very long. For instance, the Ehow of the Day today is How to Survive a Scandal and it is 899 words long. Is that the typical length of a ds article submission?

I would really like to write for ds. It will help me reach my goals for 2010 and, I hope, eventually make it possible to focus on my other writings.

Could someone please give me some pointers on what they are looking for? Please help a newbie out!

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a 500 word SEO piece I did for another SEO company. DS aint th at great. Try Internet Brands or Text Broker if you need a little experience and practice.

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your help TB. Do you write for DS?

I am on textbroker and have done a number of things for them. I dropped the ball with Internet Brands and need to submit my sample to them still.

DS is attractive to me because of the $15 an article pay rate and the biweekly pay. I have a Textbroker article in my queue now that is worth up to $14 but most aren't worth that much.

I can't remember the pay rate for IB. I'll have to follow through on that one though.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I write some for demand.
Internet Brands pays $10 per article once a month.
Have you tried Writers Research Group?
Do you look for private clients?

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I've been writing for DS for about a year. Yes, try something shorter, targeted, and with seo. Look at ehow and emulate what you see there and apply again.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
In the resume, I included a broad spectrum of writing experience, most of which had little to do with the kind of writing DS deals in. For the sample itself, however, I modified an artsy-crafty how-to I'd written for a newsletter so that it was closer to DS's guidelines. I'm sure if you try submitting an article similar to what they publish, you'd have no problems.

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the ideas everyone!

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
In the resume, I included a broad spectrum of writing experience, most of which had little to do with the kind of writing DS deals in. For the sample itself, however, I modified an artsy-crafty how-to I'd written for a newsletter so that it was closer to DS's guidelines. I'm sure if you try submitting an article similar to what they publish, you'd have no problems.

When you send it your resume, do you include links to your blog or somewhere else that you have your samples posted?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I posted an article in SYW that I think is closer to what ds is looking for. Could some of you go check out please?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4406506#post4406506

I commented in your SYW thread too, but I'll repeat here: I think it'll work if you clean it up and tighten your writing. DS articles generally run around 400 to 500 words, but they don't want you to add "fluff" to make that word count. Also, they'd like for the keywords to drop naturally into the copy, and add variations on the keywords so you're not repeating the same ones over and over, i.e. "wedding vendors" in the piece you posted.

Hope this helps!

-Ang

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Ang.

I'm going to work on the article some more and maybe I post it again to see if it is better in other people's eyes as well as my own.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
When you send it your resume, do you include links to your blog or somewhere else that you have your samples posted?

Sorry! Totally didn't notice the question. :eek:)

In my case, I gave enough information that they could verify my claims if they wanted to, but I didn't go out of my way to encourage them to explore my writing anywhere besides the submitted sample, if that makes sense? I sort of view it like when you're hunting a normal job... you tailor your resume to the specific interests of the person you're targeting, rather than throwing everything you have at them and hoping something connects. And like with a normal job application, I tried to project confidence more than eagerness.

Status
Not open for further replies.