• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

"Don't give it to your Mom."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

One of the recurring bits of advice that I read on blogs and writing guides is "Don't give it to your Mom."

I know that most mom's love their kids very much, are not professional editors, and don't actually have much knowledge of the publishing world. This means that they probably can't give you helpful advice, and that they can potentially give you damaging input.

Is there some other reason that I have not yet discovered?

Dave

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

One of the recurring bits of advice that I read on blogs and writing guides is "Don't give it to your Mom."

I know that most mom's love their kids very much, are not professional editors, and don't actually have much knowledge of the publishing world. This means that they probably can't give you helpful advice, and that they can potentially give you damaging input.

Is there some other reason that I have not yet discovered?

Dave

You pretty much nailed it. The best critiques come from unbiased sources that have some experience with writing and editing. This is, for most of us, not our moms.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Two things:

Moms can be too subjective, even when they're trying not to.

Also, sometimes sub-consciously, sons and daughters try to please them. If Mom doesn't like the writing for some reason or other and says so, feelings can get hurt. The ms. might be tossed in a drawer due to feelings of "not good enough."

Only show the work (if you are so inclined) once it's published.

LostInReality

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karlanellenbach-lastword.blogspot.com
I have to say that I show everything of mine to my mother. She may not be the world's best speller, but she has an eye for what's good and she is perhaps the most honest person I know. She always tells me when something isnt quite up to snuff, and that just makes me work harder to fix it.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Writers have been warned to expect "That's nice, dear" feedback from relatives and friends for as long as I can remember -- it's not that they can't appreciate good writing, it's that they're afraid to hurt your feelings by telling the absolute truth.

If that's not the case, if you trust the feedback is totally honest, then that's great.

-Derek

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I gave my mom my first two completed novels. The very first I know sucked, and she didn't really say anything more than, "It was good. I could tell it's your first, but it's good." The second one, I'm very proud of, and all I got was "It was good."

The third one I can't give to her for different reasons - she would not appreciate the swearing.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mother is no longer of this earth, but if she were, I'd give my stories to her. She had a degree in English and a Masters in library science, and she was a librarian by occupation. She was also a voracious reader of fiction and poetry. But I wouldn't give them to her expecting any kind of editorial or critique-type feedback. I'd just hope that she would enjoy them.

I didn't start writing fiction until Mom was gone, and I'd give anything to be able to hand her copies of my books.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't just your mom, it's any family, and generally, any friends. Subjectivity is part of it, not being willing to tell you the hard truth is part of it, but most of it is they almost certainly have no clue what it takes to make something publishable. The very things they tell you to change may be the very things that make your work stand out.

Being a voracious reader doesn't mean anything. Neither does a degree. Neither does subjectivity, for that matter. What matters is knowing exactly what it is that makes a piece of writing publishable. Not good, not bad, but publishable.

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
I agree with lots of you guys here, but my mom is a scientists and a PHD so she helps me so much with the logic of the story. If it was not for her I would be doomed. lol. She also never tells me that a bad part is good she just says "Hmm, maybe you could add this or remove that and than it will be good" So I always take advice from mom :D

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
MOST moms either don't want to hurt feelings, or actually do believe everything their children do is brilliant. So they aren't good sources of useful feedback.

There are some exceptions.

My own mom really hates to read, so I know I can give her a manuscript and let her read it; wherever she loses interest and stops reading is where I've done something wrong, and I need to work on that section of the ms. She's quite useful in that respect.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
My mom is extremely supportive over the fact that I write. All of my family is for that matter.

They don't understand why I'm not the next great fluffy happy feel good writer. My family was of course the first to see my first piece. I was very young when I wrote it. But I couldn't show them my work now, it's far too dark for their tastes and they'd be left wondering where they went wrong with me.

That being said, it was never constructive or helpful toward becoming a better writer other than they believe in me and that I have the abilities to eventually make it.

If your family and friends are your only source, be aware you're getting an extremely slanted opinion and it'll in no way prepare you for the big mean world of rejections, editors, and bad reviews.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My mom is extremely supportive over the fact that I write. All of my family is for that matter....

That being said, it was never constructive or helpful toward becoming a better writer other than they believe in me and that I have the abilities to eventually make it.

....it'll in no way prepare you for the big mean world of rejections, editors, and bad reviews.
Exactly. My mother was extremely supportive of my writing and well-educated. She knew how to compose a beautiful story or compelling essay. BUT...she was my mother. Whether it seems so or not, most mothers tend to be more subjective than objective. She read my writings after they were published.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Being a voracious reader doesn't mean anything. Neither does a degree. Neither does subjectivity, for that matter. What matters is knowing exactly what it is that makes a piece of writing publishable. Not good, not bad, but publishable.
But even professional agents and editors don't always know what's publishable. If there was an actual rule for what's publishable then no bestseller would ever have been rejected and there would be no point in continuing to submit after you get a rejection. There's no such thing as an 'objective' reader, including people in the industry. We all have our own tastes, likes, and dislikes. The only way to know that a book is publishable is to have it published and then sell enough copies that they want your next book too.

To answer the OP, I let my mom read everything I write. She's as good a beta reader as anyone, and definitely isn't afraid to tell me something sucks.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
No matter how much I insist to my mother, she will only read the first paragraph and say "that's really good, honey" and think that's enough.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My mom is gone, too. But she'd say anything was good :)

My dad? He's been telling me like it is since I came out of the womb. I finlly figured out what that's good for! He reads every single day; I couldn't even count how many books he's read. Believe me, that does matter. There are parts we kind of skip because of genre, where we both agree that he's not the one to ask in any depth. But he's my main guy to tell me if it flows and grips and is interesting to a general reader. That's 90% of what I want to know.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes don't like critiques from people who are writers themselves. They often are too self-aware, and base their critiques on what is "supposed" to work, rather than approaching the material naturally and seeing if it actually works or not.

I like well-read non-writers when it comes to beta-ing. Like my mom :p

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I love my mommy and she loves me, so I know that anything I do she will tell me that 'it's great!' even though I hear the heavy weight of disapproval in her voice.

So, to combat that, when I give her something to read, I preface it with 'it's ok if you don't like it'. I have it in my mindset that if she has something constructive to say, at least to listen to her because it might be valid. If she says 'it's great!' in That Voice, I grin and know that what I write may not be for her and trust my beta reader to tell me where I'm falling flat.

But to any end, she will always be supportive of my writing (whether she thinks I suck or not) and that is the biggest boon of all.

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
I resent what you people are saying about not giving stuff to your mom. My mom is a tell it like it is person. She says it is good, but at the same time says x needs improvement. I realize it has long been conditioned to think that the people closested to you make the worst criticks. This isn't so. well, at least not in all cases.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I resent what you people are saying about not giving stuff to your mom. My mom is a tell it like it is person. She says it is good, but at the same time says x needs improvement. I realize it has long been conditioned to think that the people closested to you make the worst criticks. This isn't so. well, at least not in all cases.

AllyWoof, I'm not sure which "you people" you're taking issue with, although I think I understand why. Your experiences, which sound wonderful and you are lucky, are not everyone elses.

Which is pretty evident by the wide expression of experiences and opinions Dave_Willhoite is getting in response to his question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.