MC Job

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a job for my MC. It has to be something relatively-high paying with somewhat flexible work hours and it has to be plausible for him to be called to do a business trip on short notice. He's good at working with people and dealing with facts. Does something in sales sound appropriate? Any help at all would be awesome. Thank you.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look at it a different way if I were you. Which fields would your MC be interested in to begin with? Then look for a job in those ranks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A business consultant of some sort (your MC could be the top in his field). There are consultants for just about anything having to do with business (especially big business): mergers, acquisitions, bond offerings, stock offerings, public relations, labor relations, pension plans and 401k's, what used to be called efficiency experts, construction managers, etc., etc.

Last edited:

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
What field would be most advantageous for the sub-plots? High-tech, medical, manufacturing, legal, business, computing, outdoorsy? I can think of specific jobs in each of them that involve sudden business trips.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
High tech is good. I'm a technical writer, so salaried (flexible hours). Depending on the job, we can sometimes work from home, and as long as the work gets done, they're OK with it. Is $50,000 high paying enough? That's about the average for tech writers.

When I worked for a SW development firm in Dallas, they were based in San Jose, CA, so every once in awhile I'd have to head out there within a few days. But contract tech writers usually don't travel as much. He'd need one of the few FT regular paying gigs that's out there.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
Have him be a SME - a subject matter expert. There are people whose life work is to find a technology that will be around for a long time - like relational databases - and become experts in them. They then run external websites, generate content, moderate forums, then for eating money, they give speeches at conventions, and write tech books.

So, your character discovers that Microsoft is creating a, oh, patient tracking system called SickServer. Your MC could create and run the SickServer.org website, gather contacts in Microsoft working in the SickServer product group, and so forth. When the SickServer User Group forms, he is the organizer and head speaker. And so forth. That gives him the opportunity to do a lot of travelling.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Have him be a SME - a subject matter expert. There are people whose life work is to find a technology that will be around for a long time - like relational databases - and become experts in them. They then run external websites, generate content, moderate forums, then for eating money, they give speeches at conventions, and write tech books.

So, your character discovers that Microsoft is creating a, oh, patient tracking system called SickServer. Your MC could create and run the SickServer.org website, gather contacts in Microsoft working in the SickServer product group, and so forth. When the SickServer User Group forms, he is the organizer and head speaker. And so forth. That gives him the opportunity to do a lot of travelling.

Good idea from Bill. SMEs are helpful folks. Tech writers use them to create documentation too. They're jacks of all trades.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
Unless their advice is just a little bit incorrect, then they are jack-o__. Wait - this is a bit of a all-ages forum. So sorry.