Fan or not?

Are you a fan of fans while catching some zzzz's?

• I must have a fan on while I sleep.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No fans for me. Turn them off.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Depends on the time of year.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I'm fine with it, either way.

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Regardless of the time of year, I must have a fan on while I'm sleeping. Ceiling fan, floor fan ... doesn't really matter. But I need the white noise and the moving air. I was just curious if there are others out there like me.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I love the feel of moving air. I'm a little furnace when it comes to sleeping so a fan is nice. I don't need it so much in the winter and ear plugs take care of noise. But in the summer, I'll use it as often as I can get away with it. Hubby is always freezing so I don't always get to have my fan :(

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love the feel of moving air. I'm a little furnace when it comes to sleeping so a fan is nice. I don't need it so much in the winter and ear plugs take care of noise. But in the summer, I'll use it as often as I can get away with it. Hubby is always freezing so I don't always get to have my fan :(

My wife doesn't really like the fans. But she's the type who loves to sleep with the windows open, regardless of the outside temperature. So we've worked a deal: I get the fans, she gets the windows.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I hate fans because it makes the hair on my body feel like bugs are crawling all over me.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I hate fans because it makes the hair on my body feel like bugs are crawling all over me.

Ditto to this--though mostly just the hair on my head (not the rest of my body LOL).

But, I do have a slight addiction to air purifiers. Not for the air purifying quality, but purely for the white noise. It blows straight up and doesn't create the bug crawling feeling that a true fan does. And we took the filter out and now call it the snore-drowner-outer.:D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the winter I run a humidifier. In the summer I use a fan.

The noise drowns out somebody's snoring. (not mentioning any names)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I used to have a white noise machine, but I didn't care for it much.

Hittman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davehitt.com
I hate 'em. If it's extremely hot, yeah, turn on the fan, and if I'm doing something physical they don't bother me. But I hate having them on me if I'm just watching TV or trying to get to sleep.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Here ya go:

41VE5MXW2SL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Marpac SleepMate

All the sound and nothing but the sound. We have one on the nightstand.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have to have the air on the move. Not blowing right across me, but moving around. Stale air makes me get stuffed up.

As a kid, I always had a window opened a bit in the winter. My room was upstairs and was cold any way. I can always put enough blankets on to keep warm.

There would have to be a train running through the bedroom when I was married. His snoring was pretty loud.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I have to have a fan, too. Even in the dead of winter. Drove my ex crazy (yay!). :D

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
It has to be pretty freakin cold for me to turn off the fan at night. I have three problems:

1) I'm one of those people whose body (instead of becoming slightly cooler when at rest due to less physical processes) gets increasinly hot while at rest. I can be lounging on the couch or asleep in bed, I'll get hot.

2) Ever since I was a newborn, I have been incapable of sleep unless curled up in a blanket. It can be the peak of summer and I'll still need to be curled up in that blanket.

3) My doctor described me as having "a poor thermostat". That is, my body has an issue of cooling itself down as other people naturally do. My body quickly overheats and I pass out.

When you look at issues 1 and 2, and then add the cherry of number 3, how can I NOT have a fan on me at night? :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Regardless of the time of year, I must have a fan on while I'm sleeping. Ceiling fan, floor fan ... doesn't really matter. But I need the white noise and the moving air. I was just curious if there are others out there like me.

Holy Crap! I am not the only one!!! Even in the depths of winter, I have the damn fan on! Two reasons: I cannot sleep when I am hot, and I like the white noise.

It's been hell the last week or so. I've had a cold, and I am so afraid of getting pneumonia again that I have been trying to keep myself warm, and that means no fan while I sleep. I can't wait till I am thoroughly well again, and can turn on mah fan!

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely a fan man myself. I actually don't run it during the winter but it's always a struggle to wean myself off it.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only fan fanatic! When my wife was out of town last weekend, I broke out this industrial floor fan and blew it like a monsoon all night long. My cat and I slept like never before. When my wife got back and I was forced to return to my ceiling fan, it took me three hours to fall asleep.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I can't sleep with a fan on in the same room--or in front of a heating or air conditioning duct with air blowing on me--ever. I wake up with a sore throat the next morning if I do.

Besides--I don't need white noise. I have cats.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I can't sleep with a fan on in the same room--or in front of a heating or air conditioning duct with air blowing on me--ever. I wake up with a sore throat the next morning if I do.

Besides--I don't need white noise. I have cats.

I hear you there. I will sleep with a fan in summer (mainly because it's still in the 100's at night and even the pool water turns to a lukewarm bath). But in the winter and spring--forget it. It's a recipe for, at best, an asthma attack or, at worst, a nice case of bronchitis.

We have fan wars in the bedroom during winter with my husband opening the windows and turning on the fans and me turning on the humidifier and shutting the windows.

I really don't get it. He has untreated asthma and gets massively wheezy with the windows open and the room temp dropped to 40F...but he does it anyway.

Forget the sleepnumber BED...I'd like the sleep number ROOM. :D

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Living in England, it's rarely warm enough for a fan, but even when it is I turn it off. The sound and air don't bother me, but I'm paranoid about the thing short circuiting and catching fire in the middle of the night. ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The sound and air don't bother me, but I'm paranoid about the thing short circuiting and catching fire in the middle of the night. ;)

Really? I've never worried about that. But I'm such a light sleeper I'd wake up if my room was on fire.