Anyone can answer this, I think.

theantisplice

Punctual
Registered
Reaction score
What's the stupidest thing you've ever done out of love/for a loved one? Romantic love answers needed, but any kind of love is pertinent. Thanks :)

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
Violated the 50% rule - the time spent with your loved one should be equal or more than the travel time it takes you to go there and back. Drove four hours to spend a half-hour with her. Darn silly now, but seemed a good idea at the time.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really call it the stupidest but it was the biggest. I got married when I was 18. I had only two semesters of college left then I could take up my all expense paid 4 year scholarship at a prominent university that was waiting for me. Despite being on birth control we got pregnant immediately. I had to choose between raising my kid and that scholarship.

My kid won. I'm still married, headed toward my 9th anniversary. I think about it now and then, we had planned on waiting to have kids until I was done with school and got a little older, gotten used to being married all that good stuff. That never happened.

I don't regret my decision, but it was a really big sacrifice for me and I do wonder from time to time how things might be different if I had gone that way.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Investing so much time and emotion in a high school relationship that left me emotionally crippled and war torn.

K.Bristow

Somewhere between sanity & jumping
Registered
Reaction score
I walked out on my first marriage for someone I knew in my heart of hearts was the love of my life. He was for me, unfortunately, I was not his as it turned out. Lessons learned are like bridges burned - you only need to cross them but once. He did, however (in his defense) point me in the direction of my current Hubby who is my whole life. Even to this day, the scar is still there, but it was ultimately the greatest gift he ever gave me. Who would have guessed that a broken heart would have given me such unending joy?

Menyanthana

Moonflower
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of love?
Does infatuation count? And something I could have done, but haven't?
I was in danger of dedicating my first novel to someone who didn't deserve it. (In either way. He didn't do anything for it, and the didn't deserve to be embarassed by seeing his name written in one of my crappy novels.)

Luckily, I couldn't get a novel published up to now, and now I am more sensible.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave up crunchy peanut butter for his smooth, and my toothpaste for his.

I also left more than one job or course of study, and moved away from friends and family to places I didn't care for, as his career path dictated. Unpleasant at first, but these moves always turned out all right, since he's the money-maker in the household because of it.

Carried to term a pregnancy we tried to prevent, didn't want, and could not afford. (She's The Kid who I mention so often here at AW, and a terrific person.)

And only this morning, rolled out of bed and into winter clothes to shovel snow so he could drive to work before I even had coffee.

Maryn, married longer than many of you have lived

C. C.

Registered
Reaction score
Quit my dream job...a job that was fun and exciting and allowed me to use my writing skills in some way and that I only got out of sheer one-time-only luck, because we got in this huge fight over it (not in the sexist way that sounds...it was complicated). I don't regret it exactly...my husband is the right person for me, and I'm completely happy with him, but I wish I had not been so impulsive.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I hate admitting it, but in college, I had a horrible breakup with someone, and OD'd over him. Fortunately, it was only Sominex, and a dose of Ipecac at the hospital did the trick to keep me here. They told me I would just have slept for quite awhile.

The same major, the same minor, lived in the same dorm, had all the same friends. Was it any wonder I quit college and moved home for awhile to get my head together?

Eventually I went back, got the degree, and have been married 9 years to my wonderful Canadian sweetheart.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the stupidest thing you've ever done out of love . . . ?

With her divorce final and my retirement at hand, I left my home in Montana where I wore a bandana and still enjoyed hunting within the mountain lifestyle. A writer can write anywhere, right?

Marriage was postponed again and again, citing needy kids and a myriad of complications from her ex, a tiny, self-centered mind wrapped in a small man’s complex. Randy Newman was right.

I waited and supported, and after four years moved off on my own.

Here, all bandanas here are made in China, people without deeds of land hunt the aisles of Fred Meyer’s grocery, the mountains are reserved for bright colored ski boarders.

Women just have no sense of commitment! I know I’ll duck shots for that one, but turnabout truths are fair play.