I need an editor.

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Even though I am not done with my Sci-Fi story yet, I need an editor that could start editing my own work. Do they start editing before the work is done, or you need to wait to have it done? Also, where can I go to get editors? Preferably if I don't need to pay. Thanks.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't want to pay, you'd be better off looking for a beta reader or two. They'll give you feedback, and then you do your own editing. You could try posting on the mentoring forum.

(You'd have to pay a qualified editor)

GWBailey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geoarts.com
I have a friend that's a language arts teacher. She's doing my initial edits and is doing a great job, even though she recommends I hire an editor after her. My mom, a retired school teacher is going through my MS as well and finding minor things to fix. You can check your local teacher’s union to find a listing of retired teachers in your area. They make a good source for proofreaders, I’ve found.

By all means get beta readers and have them check for things as they read. It’s a good idea to have more than one, as several passes can find mistakes that another reader won’t see.

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Thank for your suggestions. One question tho, where can I get "beta" readers? I have a friend of mine reading the story as I write it...but that is about it.

How much do editors cost?

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
yeyeman9 said:
Thank for your suggestions. One question tho, where can I get "beta" readers? I have a friend of mine reading the story as I write it...but that is about it.
I see you put a post on the mentoring forum. That's a possibility. There are also online critique groups. Google will find them for you.

How much do editors cost?
It depends on the state of your manuscript. Reputable editors will look at sample pages from your manuscript to decide (a) if they want to take it on, and (b) how much help it needs, and hence how much to charge you. They aren't cheap.

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Yeh...maybe the best way to go right now is with a mentor/writing partner or a Group. I have read there are some "Writing Partners" groups, where a group of people gather together for some years and help each other out. I am guessing this is what you are suggesting here. Do you know, or have heard, of any Sci-Fi/Fantasy good ones?

Thanks once again for your kind help,
yeyeman9

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Yeyeman, invest in the book Self-Editing for Ficiton Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. Read it carefully, absorb the craft stuff, and use it as your guide to do your own editing. In the long run, this method will serve you better than getting someone else to edit for you. (I'm not saying you don't need some fresh eyes to read over a ms before you submit it, because you do. It's amazing the things that we read as correct that someone else will see the mistake we made.) But for major editing, it's far better to learn to do it yourself.

Susan G.

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like I great idea Susan. I recently invested in 2005 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market which I assure you, I am glad I did. But I will need to see if I can invest in this one you mention. But I think I should and I will see what I can do. Thank you for the suggestion :).

Cheers,
Yeyeman9

Last edited:

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Susan Gable said:
Yeyeman, invest in the book Self-Editing for Ficiton Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. Read it carefully, absorb the craft stuff, and use it as your guide to do your own editing.
From Self-Editing Fiction for Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King (which I agree is a great book):

"True, you can hire an independent editor to work on your manuscript. In fact, there is no better way to get the editing you need--though our opinion may be biased. But even if you do hire a pro, you want your manuscript to be as strong as it can be before you have it worked on. After all, why pay for editing you can do yourself?" (pages 2-3)

i.e. never send your first draft to an editor. Not only might they refuse you (or charge you an arm and a leg), but you do indeed want to do as much editing yourself. However, it never hurts to have a qualified set of eyes help you do the final polish when you can't see anything more wrong with your work.

They also warn that critique groups may result in you writing the book the critiquers want, not what you want, and that writers don't always make good editors. Something to keep in mind as you go through the critiquing process.

Last edited:

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
I joined Critters.org. Already loving it. They really have a great system, I would suggest it to everyone! Thanks for the suggestion!