What is wrong with people?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
]You know, I’m a pretty laid-back person normally. I take the middle path, try to see other’s point of view in an argument but when is enough, enough? I swear to God some people are fucking insane, and they are the ones who usually have the power. (not always- see, middle of the road.)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
I have examples in varying degrees of insanity, from That’s not fair to WTF??<o:p></o:p>
First- we had an in ground pool put in this summer and are still working on the details. Now we live out in the country- we are 50 feet off the road with acres and acres of woods on all sides of us. The Pool is behind out house, directly behind the pool is our upper horse pasture and behind that woods which end up in state game land. Our pool is surrounded by the horse fence and 16 acres of property but to be in code we need to have a self closing, self latching gate- ON OUR HORSE PASTURE FENCE! It borders our pool so there ya go- we also need to have the same type of gate on our deck and alarms on our back door—yeah there is a greater chance a deer will fall in our pool than a kid- you know the one that has to trek through 200 acres of state game land and then another 15 acres of woods, then through the back electrified horse fence, the front electrified horse fence just to drown in our pool- uh huh- that’s gonna happen.
<o:p> </o:p>
Okay- rant number two- they lowered the speed limit on the road in front of my house to 15 MPH- understand the houses around here are at least a mile apart and none of them are even visible from the road. I ask you why???
Now this last one is more disbelief than rant- I was at the mall today doing some holiday shopping when I decided to stop in and have lunch at a fast food place in the food court- I pull out my sony-reader and am happily reading and eating when I hear;
“Help! My mother is choking!”
I get up and go over to said choking mother and do the Heimlich and pop out the obstruction – and Mom starts breathing again- Okay, now I am not expecting these people to bow down to me and worship at my feet or anything, but a thank you? A nod of appreciation?
Nope. They sit back down and finish their lunch without a word to me. Does anyone say anything to me? Umm-NO.
*sigh*

Very long rant over and if you’re still with me- bless you!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
#1 - I don't think they can make exceptions where pools are concerned. They have to do the code for everybody...regardless of the likelihood that somebody could possibly get to your pool and drown. I think they should strictly enforce that one in 100% of the cases. I personally know people who have had a stranger die in their pool. It's something you never get over. The code is there for a reason. They can't possibly make exceptions based on likelihoods. I'm not with you on this one.

#2 - The new speed limit. Ridiculous. What were they thinking????!!!!

#3 - Proves my belief that some people deserve to choke to death. Congratulations on saving a life. Thank you. (I hope that thank you meant something...I know it would have been better coming from the one you saved, or the loved one of the one you saved...but they're just too stupid for words.)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
People have a sort of complex where they deserve things like that to happen to them. She should have been more careful, and she's lucky you were there at that time and willing to help, because many people wouldn't have.

Of course, it's also possible that she was scared and couldn't get the words out to thank you. If she did just ignore you and look fine, then she's an ungrateful bitch.

Either way, not much you can do about it. Good on you though.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the pool codes are there for a reason but I swear there isn't a lick of common sense anymore- All rules are blanket rules and as good intentioned as they might be- it still irritates me- I don't want to debate it - I'm just venting

And yes KTC your Thank you did mean something- Thank you!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
We had to do the weirdest fence thingies when we put an 8 ft inground spa in. Sigh.

I don't know what the speed limit problem is, though - did someone whine and moan at a city council meeting?

As to the choker - thank you for saving a life. I want someone like you around if I am ever in that situation, that's for sure. Not thanking you was clear evidence that this person did not deserve your attention. I don't know why there are rude morons like that walking the earth. Thank you again, though from me.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
As someone who has had the Heimlich performed on her... thank you. I inherited my mother's super sensitive choke reflex and one of my biggest fears is choking to death with nobody around to help.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for your other rants, but glad you were around to save that Mom, even if she wasn't so nice. :Hug2: You get the Hero :Cake: of the day award. :)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who has had the Heimlich performed on her... thank you. I inherited my mother's super sensitive choke reflex and one of my biggest fears is choking to death with nobody around to help.

That's why you learn to do it on yourself. I've had to do that twice.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I was with a friend once who saved a woman from choking. She wasn't very appreciative, either. We'd been drinking in a bar, and when she became distressed, he rushed over, pulled up her dress and licked her backside. It worked, too, and the woman coughed up the obstruction.

When members of her party started giving my friend a hard time, he said, "Haven't any of you ever heard of the Hind-lick Maneuver before?"

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha ha! (to Silver King)

That's funny.

ETA: I thought I was the only one around here with bad puns.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
In all seriousness, the pool rule isn't just a code issue - it's an insurance issue, as well. A pool is known in the business as an 'attractive nuisance'. IOW, when (not if) word gets round that there's an unsecured pool around, people will come from miles away to take a dip - and it's your responsibility to secure said 'attractive nuisance' to prevent your being held liable for an injury or worse. The code is not only to protect idiots from accidentally falling in your pool - it's to protect YOU from the idiots who get in it without your permission and get hurt or drown.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I do understand that - I really do and the 100% rule makes sense- but if you saw where I live you would shake your head- you can't even see my house, let alone the pool from the road. If anyone tried to use it while we weren't home they would to deal with my three very large dogs, let alone the alarm system if you crosss a certain point in the drive without de-accessing it with the remote first- you would think that would be enough- But, yeah I know-

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
One of my co-workers was fed up with the local codes and old-boy network regarding permits in the small town where she lives. She ran for city council and won. She said the view from the other side was a lot different than she expected.

Good job saving the ungrateful mother. Too many people would not even attempt to help her.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. They sit back down and finish their lunch without a word to me. Does anyone say anything to me? Umm-NO.
*sigh*

I guess I'm not the only one who gets really disgusted with people. I do a lot of courteous/helpful things for people all the time and never get a thank you. (such as open doors, hold doors open when someone is carrying things, etc.)

So now I just say "You're Welcome" to them as if they've said thank you, hopefully to embarrass them.

Seams

&#9675;
Registered
Reaction score
i always greet strangers, ask them how they are and then stop so they have to tell me. I like watching them stumble at an attempt of friendly conversation...we all hide so much.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could contact the highway department and ask why. You might get an answer, even if it makes no sense.

From the description of your property, I think the pool thing is ridiculous too. It will probably be less secure after you jump through their hoops.

Thank you for saving the woman's life. It was the right thing to do.

When I was in the military, I was eating at the NCO club when a woman started choking. I ran over and got the food dislodged, then quietly returned to my seat. Such a crowd had formed around her that this one guy who was fawning over her after the food was dislodged got the credit. A couple of people there tried to point me out when he took the credit, but I just waved it away. He got a commendation and a write up in the base paper, but I saved a life. I think that was the important part. Good for you for acting, and saving her life.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I'd just like to say that if I ever choked in a restaurant or something and someone saved my life, I would buy them both dinner and a drink. The lack of, well, humanity I've been witness to lately is both disgusting and disturbing. So many people are so focused on themselves it's like they don't even see the society around them. Good on you for not being one of them. That ungrateful 'lady' may not have thanked you, but the universe will. It's all in the karma. :)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
i always greet strangers, ask them how they are and then stop so they have to tell me. I like watching them stumble at an attempt of friendly conversation...we all hide so much.

small_talk.png