Mormons advertise on Jewish website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Spiritual predators (this time, Mormons) advertise on About.com web page for Jews. Folks: please leave other people alone.
http://judaism.about.com/od/chanukah/qt/when09han.htm
I do not see the advertising that you are speaking of and as a Latter-day Saint, I object to you referring to us as spiritual predators.

All I see on that link is an advertising space that has shown Smith's food King and another for bleaching teeth. If it so happens that an ad for the LDS church was in the cue for rotating I can tell you it had nothing to do with them but the random manner in which it was posted is all about the advertisers for about.com.

Your slander of my church is unwarranted.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
And now I've seen ads for Macy's, dieting and going back to school adverts supposedly saying Obama is backing single moms to do so. I see these same ads on Facebook but so far not ONE about the LDS church.

Deleted member 42

If you keep re-freshing the page you will see ads from LDS, Methodists, and Dyanetics.

I don't think, looking at the source and the keywords associated with the ads in Googles' tracking, that it's deliberate.

The ads are Google ads, tied to keywords. About.com does not do google ad blocking--and honestly even if you do use Google ad blocking for ads, it's not effective.

Mac has to jump through hoops to block vanity press ads, and as soon as she gets one ad blocked, they create a new ad with a different URL.

In short: No, these ads are not targeted or evangelically directed to Jews--which I too would find offensive.

It's just an unfortunate technology hangnail.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Aye. I got the LDS ad on the first click, but definitely looks like a coincidence and/or common, incidental keywords, not predation.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
If you keep re-freshing the page you will see ads from LDS, Methodists, and Dyanetics.

I don't think, looking at the source and the keywords associated with the ads in Googles' tracking, that it's deliberate.

The ads are Google ads, tied to keywords. About.com does not do google ad blocking--and honestly even if you do use Google ad blocking for ads, it's not effective.

Mac has to jump through hoops to block vanity press ads, and as soon as she gets one ad blocked, they create a new ad with a different URL.

In short: No, these ads are not targeted or evangelically directed to Jews--which I too would find offensive.

It's just an unfortunate technology hangnail.
well from what comes up for me, they must think I need to lose weight (which I do) whiten my teeth (I swear I just got my kit) go back to school as a single mom (I have I have) and shop at Smiths and Macy's ( I avoid them both like the plague).

I had no idea that Mac had to fight to keep those off the site but then it makes sense.

Deleted member 42

well from what comes up for me, they must think I need to lose weight (which I do) whiten my teeth (I swear I just got my kit) go back to school as a single mom (I have I have) and shop at Smiths and Macy's ( I avoid them both like the plague).

I suspect it may have to do with a local cookie in your Web browser.

There's a relatively new (it's a year old) wrinkle in Google ads that will use a Google cookie to customize ads to you personally.

Advertisers can opt out--Mac did. But you, as a user can also opt out to say "don't use my cookie data.' Go here and scroll down to the bit on "Advertising Cookie Opt-out"

I had no idea that Mac had to fight to keep those off the site but then it makes sense.

It's a constant struggle, and it's one that affects AW's revenue because she won't run certain ads; she's been warned by Google that she's blocking too many sites, in fact.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I got one sponsored link for Christian dating and a lot of ads for teeth whitening and Bell Canada.

If it were deliberate, I would find it objectionable but I suspect it is just a random occurrence based on keywords.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it may have to do with a local cookie in your Web browser.

There's a relatively new (it's a year old) wrinkle in Google ads that will use a Google cookie to customize ads to you personally.

Advertisers can opt out--Mac did. But you, as a user can also opt out to say "don't use my cookie data.' Go here and scroll down to the bit on "Advertising Cookie Opt-out"

It's a constant struggle, and it's one that affects AW's revenue because she won't run certain ads; she's been warned by Google that she's blocking too many sites, in fact.
Awesome, I appreciate the link.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My ex always got advertisements for JDate, every website she went to, despite being Catholic.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
I use the Firefox browser, with the Adblock add-on. I do not see any ads on any site. If ads bother you, try Firefox.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I got:

10,000 doors (3 times before the ad changed)
teeth whitening
10,000 doors (another hat trick)
teeth whitening / back to school / refinance your mortgage
LDS (X3)
Free Bible (LDS)

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Spiritual predators (this time, Mormons) advertise on About.com web page for Jews. Folks: please leave other people alone.
http://judaism.about.com/od/chanukah/qt/when09han.htm
Besides the fact that it's a coincidence, I think this would say more about the company About.com than the Mormons.

I mean, it isn't like the Mormons coerced About.com to display that ad
(if that had been the case. As it is, it's a google thing.) If About.com chose to display that ad deliberately, I think they'd be the disrespectful ones, not the LDS.

Sounds to me like some people are too quick to harshly judge others.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Besides the fact that it's a coincidence, I think this would say more about the company About.com than the Mormons.

I mean, it isn't like the Mormons coerced About.com to display that ad
(if that had been the case. As it is, it's a google thing.) If About.com chose to display that ad deliberately, I think they'd be the disrespectful ones, not the LDS.

Sounds to me like some people are too quick to harshly judge others.

If by 'some people', you mean me, then you might be right. However, there was no reason I knew to think this was not a targeted ad. I was, in fact, surprised when I thought that the LDS Church had targeted us since their church and the Jewish community tends to get along. I did not mean to imply that all Mormons were spiritual predators, just that this ad showing up on this website smacked of that. Jews have had more trouble with other Protestant churches and I was actually surprised that the Mormons were targeting Jews. I apologize now that it's been explained how the internet-thing works. This was an innocent mistake on my part.

We get a lot of this targeting thing on the personal level at this time of year. Plus, I've got a cold and am on drugs. Thanks for explaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.