Writers Digest Contest

AKA Me

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on this...I'm thinking of submitting a poem to the Writers Digest Poetry Contest, however I've read some disparaging things about contests charging an entry fee and even about contests in general. This one charges $15 for the first poem but Writers Digest is reputable, right? So is this contest worthwhile or not?

finnisempty

Registered
Reaction score
Why the charge for entrance fee? I don't understand. Maybe someone else can chime in.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A while back, I saw another thread about this contest in another section of the forum - IIRC, there's a conjecture that the entry fee keeps the numbers down. Anyway, contests sometimes have entry fees. *shrug*

Before entering, make sure you read the "Privacy Promise" on the webpage. The 'promise' is that they might sell your details for marketing purposes (but you can opt out, I believe). Doesn't seem like much of a promise to me. And if I've paid to enter, I won't be happy that my address is put on a mailing list and sold to whomever.

That's not a commentary on the contest itself, but I won't be entering - that's just my choice.

Last edited:

AKA Me

Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat, good point about the privacy promise. Of course, they do give you a way to opt out but still...

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
To answer your question, Yes Writers Digest is very reputable - I personally do not usually take part in any contest that requires and entry fee but that is a personal decision. If you think you have a shot at winning, and you enjoy taking part in writing contests, give it a try. The worst thing that could happen is you get on a mailing list for random stuff and you are out 15 dollars -

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
I think WD has a pretty good reputation, but I personally don't submit to anything that asks me for money. There's enough places that don't give me any money, so too hard to rationalize something that asks me to cough up cash. But that's just me.

AKA Me

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Casey & ajc. I already had reservations so now I'm really reconsidering (wow, lot's of r's there!)

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
I probably wouldn't enter their regular contest because I don't do many short poems anymore, but they also have a contest for best self published book of the year which is worth the $125 fee simply because of the potential involved in having them market the winners.

Jim Hoye

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
People have suggested this contest to me over the past couple years. Winning it would be a longer shot than finding an agent.

Entry fee is $99 and from the little googling I've done it looks like there are hundreds of entries for each winner. Thousands of entries overall, about ten categories.

Curious if anyone has any information, otherwise I will keep passing on it.

https://www.writersdigest.com/writers-digest-competitions/self-published-book-awards

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
As with many things concerning writers' dilemmas, I've searched out info on the contest option and received two disparate attitudes. I often encounter bio stories by authors who credit "winning contests" as furthering their publication prospects and writing career in general. In these cases, it seems as if a contest win is as laudable as a publication credit. On the other hand, I've encountered the "don't waste your time with contests" attitude, implying they are not worth it and, as is suggested here, money-grabbers.

As for the odds of winning, they do seem astronomical--loads of people submitting any kind of poem on anything to ONE place now. There must be at least a handful of equally great poems submitted and one wonders if awards must then come down to judges' favored topics, lines, etc.

But if you feel you have a great poem and have the prospect of that "honor" and cash prize before you, I understand how a person may find it hard not to go for it. There is also no journal scouting--it's simply: "Send HERE."