How do I approach new pubs when I have another offer waiting?

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have gotten an offer from Kensington on my fantasy novel, although they have termed it action/adventure. The only thing is, they do not handle a/a and would need me to do a re-write to make it fall into their erotica line. That is fine. My main issue is, the editor plain out told me that fantasy pubs would buy it, so if an erotica themed re-write really bothered me, I should think about everything before I agreed to their offer. The editor is about to leave for a conferece, so I told her I would check my other prospects and get back to her at the end of the 2 weeks. What I need to know now is how to approach Baen and Tor. How do I let them know I have an offer from Kensington? Do I just tell them out right? I only have 2 weeks to figure out where I'll have the best offer so I really need to run past the general 9 month query and submission stages. Along with that, do you think it would make more $$ with an erotic theme?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, congrats on your offer! That's super and knew you could do it. I really don't have the info you asked for but I bet others here will. Much good luck and hope it works out the best for you.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
You might consider getting an agent. If you already have an offer, it's essentially free money for the person you pick. You could send out letters (i.e. tomorrow) and say you need an answer within ten days.
You may find that 2 weeks is too soon for a publisher to be able to make a decision; they might decide to let your book go rather than struggle to get it properly considered. If you could get a more distant deadline, you would be in a stronger position.
Well done, anyhow, and the best of luck!

Julie Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JulieAEason.com
Hi there,
You need an agent to handle this. It's why they exist, to get past the 9 months-to-never slush pile wait. I know some agents will let you submit pages via email and most don't mind you calling if you already have an offer.

I don't want to steer you wrong here, so I suggest posting this same question on the Agents forum to get more concrete advice. But I would let the pros handle the negotiations, they will know how to get it into the right hands and quick.

Good luck...and Congratulations!

Julie Anne