• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carina Press

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
New Harlequin imprint that is LGBTQ+ driven contemporary romance in focus, and(!!) you can sub agented or unagented proposals.

Boldface in quote is mine. To clarify, according to the official information on the Carina blog and elsewhere, that should be trope-driven.

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
I submitted, but I'm not expecting to hear anything before next month. Still listed "in-progress." Their standard response time is about 12 weeks (based on all the rejections I have from this publisher ;)

Did anyone sub to the recent open proposal call (ended 12/3/18)? I'm wondering if anyone has gone past the "In-progress" stage on Submittable.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I submitted my manuscript to them at the end of October and haven't heard back yet. This is my first time submitting to an Indie publisher after years of trying to get a literary agent. I know they said it could take up to 12 weeks to hear back from them, but I was just wondering if it's a bad sign the longer it takes?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I was just wondering if it's a bad sign the longer it takes?

Nah, it's not a bad sign -- it takes the time it takes, don't take slow responses as any reflection on your work. Chances are they haven't even looked at your manuscript yet. They might just be overwhelmed.

You're submitting to multiple publishers though, right Beth? Don't hang on for one publisher, you can sub to many at a time.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it's not a bad sign -- it takes the time it takes, don't take slow responses as any reflection on your work. Chances are they haven't even looked at your manuscript yet. They might just be overwhelmed.

You're submitting to multiple publishers though, right Beth? Don't hang on for one publisher, you can sub to many at a time.

Okay, thanks. :)

And no, I haven't submitted to any other publishers yet. Life has been a bit crazy for me, but I've been doing research on other publishers.

Mekp88

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back on their proposal? I submitted mines 12/3, it’s now 3 months and a week and no word. I reached out 10 days ago and I was told I will get a response shortly. That was almost 2 weeks ago. I’m not understanding what’s taking so long since it’s just a partial not a full but I don’t want to push it by sending a second email.

Is this a sign that my submission has been lost?

Annemarie2521

Registered
Reaction score
Mekp88 I doubt it is lost, they seem to take a long time... Mine is a r&r which I submitted in November, checked in on the progress and got a form email saying similar to yours. My first submission took months as well... I'm assuming they are backed up, the waits a pain but guess that's all part of the process for these things! Good luck to you, hopefully you get good news from them soon! (I'd check in once a month until you hear;) )

Mekp88

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. This is my first time on sub, so I’m just getting used to the wait. I just assumed it would be shorter since it’s just 3 chapters but I can wait. Thanks Annemarie2521, hope you get good news on your R&R!

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
I pitched to them during the #CarinaPitch event in February and got a partial request after 3 minutes. I subbed my partial on March 4th that turned into a full request on March 14th. I figure it depends on which editor you get.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had any actual feedback with a rejection, or just form reject?

I write for a Harlequin imprint (I've never submitted to Carina), but I have never heard of anyone getting feedback with a Carina rejection. As an imprint of Harlequin, they're always hugely overrun with submissions, and would struggle to find the time to respond.

If you're not a member of the "Harlequin Writing Community" group on Facebook, I would recommend joining. There's a lot of discussion about Carina - and Carina pitch calls - over there.

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
I did receive feedback for my proposal that was a response to a #carinapitch request. This was the whole reason I participated in the event, for that valuable feedback.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I did receive feedback for my proposal that was a response to a #carinapitch request. This was the whole reason I participated in the event, for that valuable feedback.

Interesting. Was it a recent pitch? In this current pitch request it looks like people who got a request for the full manuscript are getting a little feedback, but otherwise they're getting nothing.

Last edited:

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm dropping in to help clear up some of the questions that have come through on this forum the past few months.

Our response time we shoot for is within 3 months, but that varies by manuscript, by editor, and by what other projects we have happening at any given time. We try not to make authors wait an eternity, because we know that's no fun, and we've put some processes in place to expedite as much as possible, but some things will take longer than we want them to.

We don't generally offer personal feedback on rejections. We know that would be helpful, but going back to response time, adding in writing feedback takes a significant amount of time, and we don't have that time to give, sadly. About 1% of our multiple thousands of submissions do receive feedback, but otherwise, this is why we offer the annual #carinapitch opportunity, as a time when we do give several hundred authors feedback. This year over 200 authors received feedback from us during this opportunity.

Last, next month we have an open proposal call coming (when we accept submissions on proposal, full manuscript not required). It's not specifically a witch-theme event, it's open to all genres that we publish. It's true, I did tweet out a #MSWL and #CarinaWants request for witches and PNR mystery last month, and I am looking for that, but the event isn't exclusive to that.

As a reminder, if you have specific questions about Carina Press, we do respond to queries on Twitter. We also have a Harlequin Facebook Writing group that is specifically geared toward people interested in writing for Harlequin and for getting answers, more information from editors, and touching base with fellow authors also on submission with Harlequin.

Last, we have a dedicated newsletter that lists all of our Carina Press submission opportunities, advice from editors and behind the scenes info. It's a monthly newsletter. Signup can be found on our website bit.ly/write4cp

Hope this helps clear up any confusion! If there are any lingering questions, you can ask here, Twitter, the Harlequin FB group, or even email us directly (email is on our website).

lottiewrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback Angela, much appreciated. :)
(thanks Sonya & CC, too)

astarte73

Registered
Reaction score
Just feeling unreasonably antsy today so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask this! I participated in the CarinaPitch event in Feb and had a few requests. I sent in the full 3/4 and received feedback 4/15 that the editor I ended up sending to liked it a lot and was going to continue reading the full, which is exciting! However, do you know if the 12 week turnaround is from the initial submission (almost 12 weeks, ha!) or from the second letter with the feedback (not nearly 12 weeks, sigh)? Like everyone else, I don't want to be too annoying with a nudge!

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Just feeling unreasonably antsy today so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask this! I participated in the CarinaPitch event in Feb and had a few requests. I sent in the full 3/4 and received feedback 4/15 that the editor I ended up sending to liked it a lot and was going to continue reading the full, which is exciting! However, do you know if the 12 week turnaround is from the initial submission (almost 12 weeks, ha!) or from the second letter with the feedback (not nearly 12 weeks, sigh)? Like everyone else, I don't want to be too annoying with a nudge!

I would nudge 12 weeks after you sent the full. Actually, I usually add a fortnight or so onto those nudge timeframes, so I would wait 14. But the Carina team seem lovely so I wouldn't stress too much about annoying them, as long as you're professional!

astarte73

Registered
Reaction score
Very appreciated Earthling! I can definitely hold on a little longer, haha!