"Incoming Links" on Wordpress

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
I created a few by linking my blog posts to each other with a hypertext link at the bottom, like a "click here to read chapter 2" kind of thing. Not sure what use it is to tell me when someone already in my blog clicked an internal link I provided but I noticed it listed those clicks on the stats page AND sent me emails telling me about them, like I care.

Not much information, I'm afraid, but hopefully someone else can provide more insight.

coryleslie

Has anyone seen the sun?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corrinejackson.com
These are links your visitors are clicking on to find your blog. For example... Say you did a book review and a person searches for that book title in google. Your blog might pop up in the search, and they click on the link to visit your blog. Wordpress would show a google URL as an incoming link to your site.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
These are links your visitors are clicking on to find your blog. For example... Say you did a book review and a person searches for that book title in google. Your blog might pop up in the search, and they click on the link to visit your blog. Wordpress would show a google URL as an incoming link to your site.

Well, those show up under "Search Engine" terms, and actual links on other sites are listed under "Referers".

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
I've had google searches show up before and that's when I learned never to use, ahem, certain words in my postings. How nice it was to have THAT search word displayed on my stats page for a few days...not.

Seems kind of silly for it to treat links to my blog from my blog the same as it would links from other people's blogs to my blog. They really should exclude those like they do your own views of your site. I also wonder how fast their web crawler is because I know someone has linked my blog to their blog yet it doesn't show up yet. The only reason I knew about it was because it showed up in the sites that "referred" people to my blog. Why wouldn't that have triggered it to show that as an "internal link"?

Interestingly, my internal links, after I clicked them, displayed with the comments. I don't get that at all.

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what these are? Because every so often I see one, and I go to the page where it's "coming" from. And I can't figure out where this supposed link is.

Are they other wordpress blogs? I sometimes get links showing up here because Wordpress has me in the "related posts" that show up underneath people's blog entries.

Hittman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davehitt.com
The links on the WP dashboard are silly and useless. You can get accurate ones by adding Google Analytics to your site.

Mysty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
artisticlicensebook.wordpress.com
I trust the Referrer part more than I do Incoming Links. Incoming Links is so... random, while Referrer I can usually find right where the person clicked. Although one time it linked to a Ning community profile, and when I went to look there wasn't even my name mentioned. Strange, to say the least.