Who's Hanging Who? (late 17th-early18th Century)

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I know that England and its holding were into hanging criminals, but what about other countries. Especially what about the French, the Spaniards, or anyone else with territories in the Carribeans. Thanks in advance.

Ariella

Registered
Reaction score
I know the French were hanging people at that time. I remember reading that the colonial outpost at Louisbourg had trouble retaining the services of a hangman because executioners were shunned by the rest of the population. I imagine the situation was the similar in the Caribbean.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Did the Spanish use the garrott or was that the Portuguese?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Beheading was practised in Scandinavia - nobles with a sword, commoners with an axe.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

Ariella said:
I know the French were hanging people at that time. I remember reading that the colonial outpost at Louisbourg had trouble retaining the services of a hangman because executioners were shunned by the rest of the population. I imagine the situation was the similar in the Caribbean.
I suspected the French did, but I wasn't quite sure. Interesting thing to know about French hangmen; guess he'd be the one drinking by himself in the tavern.:e2drunk::e2bummed:

eyeblink said:
Beheading was practised in Scandinavia - nobles with a sword, commoners with an axe.
Denmark had a Caribbean island or two in my period. Hmmm.

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
During the 17th century in England, some criminals were still hanged, drawn and quartered. It was not removed from the statutes until in the 1800s. I'd have to look up the date although toward the last at least they did at least start letting the hanging kill them rather than only half-hang and then eviscerate and disembowel them while still alive.

Last edited: