Two related quotes in one paragraph?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm rewriting my opening chapter, and I've got an odd question. I've got a part where a group of protesters are shouting, and I'm wondering if it's possible to put it in one paragraph or better to leave as separate. Here's what I mean:

The shout carried and bounced along the walls. Another joined it, layered over the first. “Amesworth Pharmaceutical are murderers.” “Stop animal cruelty now.”

vs.

The shout carried and bounced along the walls. Another joined it, layered over the first.

“Amesworth Pharmaceutical are murderers.”

“Stop animal cruelty now.”

The second one looks better to me, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to put in a single paragraph. Odd question and a bit silly, I know, but as I've mentioned before, I don't actually know the technicalities of grammar. Thanks in advance. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Second version looks better to me, too.

Know what I'd maybe do, though? Instead of separating the shouts, as you do, I'd blend them together, e.g.

Angry shouts carried and bounced along the walls, merging into each other: "Amesworth Pharmaceutical are murderers! Stop animal cruelty now!"

Just an idea.

-Derek

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Second version looks better to me, too.

Know what I'd maybe do, though? Instead of separating the shouts, as you do, I'd blend them together, e.g.

Angry shouts carried and bounced along the walls, merging into each other: "Amesworth Pharmaceutical are murderers! Stop animal cruelty now!"

Just an idea.

-Derek

That's actually a great idea. I was basically trying to figure out how to merge them so they didn't have to be two separate things, and that works great. Thanks. :)