• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Crichton & Associates

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Got a request for a full from this agency (really prompt response time, too!). No sales were posted on the Web site, but after researching in all the usual places I found mostly positives (active client list, sales to publishers like Kensington, client books available in major venues, etc.). I'm printing out the manuscript now to send off. Anyone aware of any red flags? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
At least they're specific in what they're looking for. And if clients' books are on the shelf, that's certainly a good sign. Good luck! http://www.crichton-associates.com/

Last edited:

DivaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was any new information on this company? I got a request for a partial from them and didn't see anything new besides this original thread.

Also, what does it mean when a partial is requested, as opposed to a full manuscript? Does the agent have more or less faith in the project?

Just wondering?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
DivaWriter said:
Does the agent have more or less faith in the project?

It's better than a poke in the eye, but it still doesn't mean you're in. Continue working on your next project.

If things go well, the agent will ask for the full manuscript next. If not -- not. Nothing's certain until they offer to represent you, and even then nothing is certain.

DivaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It's better than a poke in the eye, but it still doesn't mean you're in. Continue working on your next project.

If things go well, the agent will ask for the full manuscript next. If not -- not. Nothing's certain until they offer to represent you, and even then nothing is certain.

Thank you for the response JDM.

I'm just getting a tadbit nervous about the possibilities. :)

evelyn88

I looked her up thru AAR and she's not a member, but according to other sources I've found she seems to have a lot sales(esp. in my genre). I'm a newbie to this. This is my first book (and therefore the first time I've ever looked for a literary agent), so I'm still figuring out how all this stuff works. Is it worth it/wise to consider workng with someone who is not a member of AAR?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
AAR is a good yardstick of reputability, simply because members have to prove competence in order to join. But plenty of successful agents aren't members, either because they don't want to be or haven't been in business long enough to qualify (you have to have been an agent for at least two years). Track record is the bottom line--if the agent has substantial commercial sales, not being an AAR member shouldn't be a concern.

- Victoria

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
AAR membership also doesn't guarantee an agent will _remain_ successful. My former agent was AAR, but shortly after he was accepted into AAR, his sales started to dry up and now he hasn't sold anything in almost a year.

My current agent is not in AAR, but she's been in business twenty-plus years and sells almost 200 books a year, even in a down economy. I therefore think sales records are better indicators than AAR membership.

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Crichton & Associates

Hi

I've been searching the archives, and haven't found anything recent on The Crichton Associates, and in particular Sha-Shana Crichton. On publisher's marketplace, there is a dollar sign beside her name, and I know she has sales, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with her, recently?

Thanks! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I've been searching the archives, and haven't found anything recent on The Crichton Associates, and in particular Sha-Shana Crichton. On publisher's marketplace, there is a dollar sign beside her name, and I know she has sales, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with her, recently?

Thanks! :)
Regardless of age, please add to the existing thread rather than make a new one. Thank you.

(Threads merged)

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, the reason I was wondering, is b/c I received a partial request from Sha-Shana, but she didn't specify how to send it. Do I snail mail the partial, or send it via e-mail attachment?

If anyone has any experience with this agent, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, the reason I was wondering, is b/c I received a partial request from Sha-Shana, but she didn't specify how to send it. Do I snail mail the partial, or send it via e-mail attachment?

If anyone has any experience with this agent, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

How did you receive the request? Did she send an email or a letter asking for the partial? Without further information, I'd choose the same method to send the partial back.

simplyaven

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent a query to the lady using the AOL e-mail given on their Submissions page on the website. Only then I read down the Publisher's Marketplace page and saw they gave a different e-mail there which looks better as it is the website e-mail. Now I wonder has anyone recently used the AOL one given on their website and if it worked?

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Any news on this agency. Like Simplyaven, I submitted to her using an aol address. I am wondering if I should resubmit using the agency address on PM. Any suggestions?

penguin girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I submitted to the aol address in mid-October. Received an email rejection today, with an apology for lengthy wait.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks penguin girl. I will keep waiting.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have recent contact? Not finding any sales after '12.

ETA: recent sale to Mira (two-book, "nice" deal)

Last edited: