How do I make my avatar larger than 80 X 80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I see that some people have their pictures much larger than mine, but when I try to upload a picture larger than 80 X 80, it won't let me. How do I make it bigger?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I had to resize the picture myself using a program on my computer to the size limit stated where you upload the pic. That was the only way I could figure out how to do it.

dinner_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Wait... What program was this? I am also stuck with the 80 x 80. I am new and don't know how to do it! But it seems everyone has a bigger avatar than this. Could you break it down in steps for a noob? :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Being able to upload larger avatars is a perk of taking out a Voluntary Subscription to AW. Check out the info link above.

-Derek

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
I see that some people have their pictures much larger than mine, but when I try to upload a picture larger than 80 X 80, it won't let me. How do I make it bigger?
Reduce the size of the material as there is a restriction for the actual file size too. If you can reduce it to under 75kbyte (Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I remember for 75), larger resolutions are authorized. For this, use photoshop, if you have it, and save the file in JPG with a level of 8-10. The essence is 80x80 OR 75kbyte in file size.

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
http://www.irfanview.com/Using Photoshop to resize an avatar is like using a sledgehammer to push in a thumbtack.
I suggested Photoshop, because you can set the quality of the save, regardless from the actual resolution. There are twelve levels in Photoshop which can determine the size of the file. 12 is the best level, 1 is the poorest quality. 8-10 is keeping the quality, the resolution while it's reducing the file size greatly. As far as I know in irfanview, there is only one level, a simple save and that level is not going to guarantee you the appropriate file size, while you keep the quality of your picture. In Photoshop you can scale everything, which can help you to reduce the file size if necessary, while you keep the quality and the actual resolution.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Use IrfanView -- it's free.

Using Photoshop to resize an avatar is like using a sledgehammer to push in a thumbtack.

Maybe I like pushing thumbtacks in with my sledgehammer! :D

*Downloads Irfanview while Matera's looking the other way.*

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I used Adobe Photoshop and sized my pic according to avatar limitations ... hope that helps! :)

Deleted member 42

Y'all are responding to a thread posted by someone who got themselves banned.

But.

Here's the deal:

Registered users with less than fifty posts:
80 x80

Super Members (50 posts+)
175 x 240

Kind Benefactors (people who have donated)
200 x 250

And then there are the people on whom Mac spontaneously bestows avatars. All bets are off on those . . .

There are free image editors, like Google's Picasa, and Flickr and Photobucket have image re-sizing abilities.

There are also problems from time to time with uploading an image for an avatar or profile from a URL having to do with how vBulletin handles the copying of the image.

If you're truly stuck, PM me, and I'll take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I suggested Photoshop, because you can set the quality of the save, regardless from the actual resolution. There are twelve levels in Photoshop which can determine the size of the file. 12 is the best level, 1 is the poorest quality. 8-10 is keeping the quality, the resolution while it's reducing the file size greatly. As far as I know in irfanview, there is only one level, a simple save and that level is not going to guarantee you the appropriate file size, while you keep the quality of your picture. In Photoshop you can scale everything, which can help you to reduce the file size if necessary, while you keep the quality and the actual resolution.

I can see you don't know IrfanView!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 51 posts and I still can't get to upload larger than 80x80....
Give it a little while. I believe it sometime takes the system a little time to recognize your post count. You could try logging out and logging back in (they might help . . . or it might not).

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Incognito, if you're still having trouble after logging back in, send me a link (or email me the jpeg) and I'll give you a hand with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.