• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Just Checking the Average

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious about the average length of time it has taken some agents to get back in touch with authors after having requested partial manuscripts ... as compared to the length of time listed in the 2005 Guide to Literary Agents.

Below are the selected agents, with the date I sent my partials and the amount of time listed in the 2005 Guide to Literary Agents for manuscripts. It is now July 17 and I have not heard yet from any of them.

I would be interested in hearing about the experiences of others with these five regarding turn-around time. Thanks.

7/17/05

Pam Ahern (mine sent 4/6; 10 weeks)

Agnes Birnbaum/Bleeker Street (4/11; one month)

Lynn Wittaker/Graybill & English (3/14; 3-6 months)

Inko/Sue Yuen (3/7; not listed in Guide)

Bonnie James/Lindsey's Literary (3/17; 2-3 months)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
Strike this one from your query list.
- Victoria
Thanks, Victoria -- I remember that thread --

Nonetheless, I am still interested in learning how much of a gap there is between what's listed as the turn-around time in the Guide and what is typically experienced -- even for a definitely NOT recommended agent.

WhetherOrNot

I didn't see William Clark on the list. Did he ever get back to you?

Trish

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
agent response times

smallthunder, I can't comment on the five agents you mentioned, but here's the response-time data from my most recent agent-trawling exercise:

e-subs:
Gina Panettieri, 1 week
Kristen Nelson, 4 weeks
Jack Byrne, 1 week

e-subs, no reply (8+ months):
Barbara Bova
Rich Henshaw
Scott Miller
Shawna McCarthy

Snail subs with SASE:
Elisabeth Pomoda, 14 weeks
Jennifer Jackson, 4 weeks
Matt Bialer, 3 weeks
Judith Murray, 10 weeks
Valerie Smith, no reply (5 months out)

Last edited:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Back again!

Regarding William Clark --
I told him I couldn't fulfill his request for an exclusive reading of a partial because other agents were already reading it. I told him I could, however, offer him an exclusive reading of the complete manuscript -- should he desire it after reviewing the partial. Well, that worked like a charm! He responded within a few days saying he liked what he read (so far) and requested the complete manuscript. I sent it to him, stating he could have it exclusively for three months.

Unimportant -- May I ask for clarification regarding your post? Is the information you provided on those agents recording time since posting your query letter, or, like my post, time lapse between a agent's request for a partial and his/her follow-up (or still pending follow-up) to that?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
Back again!

I sent it to him, stating he could have it exclusively for three months.

Wow! I wouldn't have done that. Maybe one month, or some unspecified time. Three months is a LONG time. You could write another novel in the time an agent takes to read it, and that isn't right.

My e-sub experience is similar to Unimportant’s.
Gina Panettieri (2 subs): 3 days; 1 hour
Kristen Nelson: 3 weeks
Jack Byrne: 1 week
Barbara Bova: 4 days
Rich Henshaw: 3 weeks
Scott Miller: no reply
Shawna McCarthy: no reply

Last edited:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
3-month exclusive for complete mss

Julie Worth said:
Wow! I wouldn't have done that. Maybe one month, or some unspecified time. Three months is a LONG time. You could write another novel in the time an agent takes to read it, and that isn't right.

Oh, from what I read in the 2005 Guide to Literary Agents, I thought that three months turn-around for a complete manuscript was the norm -- no?

I mean, we all know that there are agents who often take that long just to reply to a query ... William Clark actually took 14 weeks for that, after all.

In any case, I offered three months, but that doesn't mean he has to take that long -- and I certainly hope he doesn't! :)

But it is better to give a specified amount of time for an exclusive, and I figure appearing generous can't hurt. So far, the others holding the partial haven't contacted me -- as you can see from my first post -- and some of them have had the partial for more than three months already.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder, sorry for the confusion. The times I posted were the length of time it took the agent to reply to my query, i.e. Jack Byrne replied to me within 1 week; Barbara Bova never replied and since it's been 8+ months I've assumed I won't be getting a rely.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding silence

Thanks, Unimportant, for the clarification.

It's disheartening to see that so many agents haven't yet responded to your query after so many months -- Out of 11, five haven't even bothered to send a form letter declining representation? Geez ...

I've been much more fortunate, in that of 25 or so agents queried, I heard back (yes/no) from all but two.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
In any case, I offered three months, but that doesn't mean he has to take that long -- and I certainly hope he doesn't! :)

But it is better to give a specified amount of time for an exclusive, and I figure appearing generous can't hurt.

The job tends to fit the time allotted to it. It doesn't take an agent three months to read a MS. It might take him only a few minutes, if he doesn't like the opening pages. But if you give him three months, and he has a whole stack of others to read, some where he has no exclusivity, which is he going to read first? The rule is, give him only what he asks for. No more, no less.

If you push an agent to read it sooner, that will likely result in a rejection, but giving him extra time doesn't do anything but indicate weakness. That you’re a novice, or that you don't believe it’s a hot property.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Say what?

Julie Worth said:
The job tends to fit the time allotted to it. It doesn't take an agent three months to read a MS. It might take him only a few minutes, if he doesn't like the opening pages. But if you give him three months, and he has a whole stack of others to read, some where he has no exclusivity, which is he going to read first? The rule is, give him only what he asks for. No more, no less.

If you push an agent to read it sooner, that will likely result in a rejection, but giving him extra time doesn't do anything but indicate weakness. That you’re a novice, or that you don't believe it’s a hot property.

"The rule is, give him only what he asks for. No more, no less... giving him extra time doesn't do anything but indicate weakness."

What are you thinking? William Clark did not propose any time frame/limitation the exclusive reading of my manuscript. Do you think Clark asked for something like a one-month exclusive read, and I responded: "Oh, go ahead and take three, old sport"? Do you really think that many writers here would do something like that?

"It doesn't take an agent three months to read a MS."

This is debatable. When Clark asked for exclusivity of undetermined length, I posted on "Ask the Agent" forum for advice. "Cathy C" suggested giving him 4 months for a complete manuscript, and added that "for a full ms., 3 months is the bare minimum." Somewhere else, the same sort of question came up, and again 3 months seemed to be the consensus -- noting, as I did, that the agent is certainly free to respond sooner. He is my top pick for representation, too.

" ... you’re a novice, or that you don't believe it’s a hot property."

Well, I realize to some here, being considered a "novice" is an insult -- but the fact of the matter is, if a legitimate/successful agent considers your novel "professional" enough to ask for the complete manuscript . . . this shouldn't be an issue. If the writing is good, the agent doesn't bother to judge the writer (novice or no).

As for "hot property" -- again, in my case, I can't see how an agent would draw this conclusion. I told him that I could only provide him with 3 months exclusivity for the complete ms. since several other agents are currently reading the partial.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
"The rule is, give him only what he asks for. No more, no less... giving him extra time doesn't do anything but indicate weakness."

What are you thinking? William Clark did not propose any time frame/limitation the exclusive reading of my manuscript. Do you think Clark asked for something like a one-month exclusive read, and I responded: "Oh, go ahead and take three, old sport"? Do you really think that many writers here would do something like that?

Okay, I know you've already done it, so the discussion is academic. But realize that most agents don't ask for an exclusive when reading a manuscript. In my experience, maybe ten percent or so. And most who indicate they want an exclusive also indicate that they will read it quickly—at least, more quickly than the non-exclusive stuff. To give an agent three months when he hasn't asked for it is unnecessary. You might have said you were giving it to him on an exclusive basis for a limited time. Then the time would have been up to you. (He didn't ask for a specific time, so you don't give him one. No more, no less!)

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Julie Worth said:
But realize that most agents don't ask for an exclusive when reading a manuscript. In my experience, maybe ten percent or so.
That's odd. Not all established agents ask for exclusives, but it's a very common request, and something writers should expect if they're querying agents with track records.
And most who indicate they want an exclusive also indicate that they will read it quickly—at least, more quickly than the non-exclusive stuff. To give an agent three months when he hasn't asked for it is unnecessary.
Where did you get the idea that an exclusive means a faster read? If an agent asks for an exclusive, it's the agent's policy to do so--they don't ask for an exclusive on some mss. and not on others, and then give the exclusives priority (although many agents are willing to waive exclusivity if you've already got the ms. out and they're really interested).

Some agents ask for shorter exclusives than others, but three months is not uncommon, especially among top agents with large client lists, like Mr. Clark. That's what my agent requests. I'd never grant an exclusive of undetermined length--but given that this was what was requested, I think three months is a reasonable compromise.

- Victoria

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
That's odd. Not all established agents ask for exclusives, but it's a very common request, and something writers should expect if they're querying agents with track records.
I've only been asked for an exclusive once...well, maybe twice. In my experience, it's relatively uncommon.
victoriastrauss said:
Where did you get the idea that an exclusive means a faster read?

From at least a couple of agent websites. Of course, these may be lies. If I were an agent, and I had three months on this one and one month on another, and no exclusive on a third, I’d read the no exclusive first, the one month second, etc. That only makes sense.
victoriastrauss said:
I'd never grant an exclusive of undetermined length--but given that this was what was requested, I think three months is a reasonable compromise.

Actually, no specific time was requested of smallthunder. ("I prefer to read material on an exclusive basis, and return the courtesy by agreeing to consider your work in a timely manner...") What I suggested was that he give an unspecified exclusive. Saying something like "an exclusive for a limited time." Which limited time could be whatever smallthunder later decides it is. And notice that the agent says, "prefer to read," indicating it's a preference, but probably not an unbendable rule. So he's probably reading others without an exclusive, and they would naturally be read first.

prefer=no policy
return the courtesy=no commitment
timely manner=within an unspecified time period, whenever

He might have replied with the same words:
Thank you for reading my partial in a timely manner. I am returning the courtesy by giving you ___ to read on an exclusive basis. As other agents have expressed an interest in it, this, of course, must be for a limited time.

Last edited:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Update/Ahern

smallthunder said:
Just curious about the average length of time it has taken some agents to get back in touch with authors after having requested partial manuscripts ... as compared to the length of time listed in the 2005 Guide to Literary Agents.

Below are the selected agents, with the date I sent my partials and the amount of time listed in the 2005 Guide to Literary Agents for manuscripts. It is now July 17 and I have not heard yet from any of them.

I would be interested in hearing about the experiences of others with these five regarding turn-around time. Thanks.

7/17/05

Pam Ahern (mine sent 4/6; 10 weeks) ...

I received a nice "no thanks" from Ms. Ahern -- although the Guide had listed a 10-week turn-around, in this case, it was 15 weeks.

I write "in this case" -- anybody out there care to post his/her own experiences verus the Guide?

Euan H.

Unspeakable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
euanharvey.com
victoriastrauss said:
Not all established agents ask for exclusives, but it's a very common request, and something writers should expect if they're querying agents with track records.

Hmm. This hasn't been my experience. Of the three agents who requested my full manuscript, none of them mentioned an exclusive (and all of them have good track records).

In terms of turn-around time, my experience was:

Queries

Of the 21 agents who rejected my query:

17 replied in less than a month
3 replied in 1 month
1 replied in 2 months

Partials

Of the 5 agents who requested partials:

2 asked for the full ms. within 2 weeks
1 asked for the full ms. within 6 weeks
2 hadn't replied by the time I accepted an offer of representation (they'd had it for 2 weeks and a month, respectively)

Full ms.

Of the three agents who asked for the full ms., one offered representation within two weeks. The other two hadn't replied, so I accepted the offer.

Anyway, that's just been my experience. YMMV.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
update on Wm Clark's exclusive

Julie Worth said:
If I were an agent, and I had three months on this one and one month on another, and no exclusive on a third, I’d read the no exclusive first, the one month second, etc. That only makes sense.

And notice that the agent says, "prefer to read," indicating it's a preference, but probably not an unbendable rule. So he's probably reading others without an exclusive, and they would naturally be read first.

Greetings, everyone --

I received an e-mail from Wm Clark today offering to represent me/my novel!
As I had hoped, although I offered him a three-month "exclusive" on the complete ms., he got back to me within three weeks or a month (I'll have to double-check dates).

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
Julie Worth said:
If I were an agent, and I had three months on this one and one month on another, and no exclusive on a third, I’d read the no exclusive first, the one month second, etc. That only makes sense.

And notice that the agent says, "prefer to read," indicating it's a preference, but probably not an unbendable rule. So he's probably reading others without an exclusive, and they would naturally be read first.

Greetings, everyone --

I received an e-mail from Wm Clark today offering to represent me/my novel!
As I had hoped, although I offered him a three-month "exclusive" on the complete ms., he got back to me within three weeks or a month (I'll have to double-check dates).

Fantastic!

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
That's great! I've been following along... :)

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations smallthunder! :Clap:

It's great to hear success stories, especially right before I send out a few queries of my own.