• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Synopsis horror!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh!! I've been looking for an agent, but wasn't ready for it when one actually said they wanted to read my manuscript and a synopsis of my book. The bad thing is that I have no idea how to write a synopsis!!! I REALLY don't want to screw up this one chance I have. I mean, I've queried a lot of agents and got shot down each time so please, I beg you, help me out here!!!

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Check out SYW. I believe it contains a sticky on writing a synopsis.

Congrats on the agent request, you're one step closer!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the Query Letter Hell SYW. The stickied threads in that subforum should help.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, synopses are super lame to write, but we can help you out down in the QLH forum. Read those links provided, come up with a rough draft, and post it in QLH for critique.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Others have given good advice.

I've been looking for an agent, but wasn't ready for it

Obviously there's a lesson to be learned here... I mean, would anyone jump out of a plane if they're not ready to use a parachute? Why would you not have a synopsis when you're already querying agents?

MDei

Not a rich author yet, but I'm here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ladydaewrites.blogspot.com
Ahh!! I've been looking for an agent, but wasn't ready for it when one actually said they wanted to read my manuscript and a synopsis of my book. The bad thing is that I have no idea how to write a synopsis!!! I REALLY don't want to screw up this one chance I have. I mean, I've queried a lot of agents and got shot down each time so please, I beg you, help me out here!!!

Good for you. Type one up and put it in QLH. I'll be looking for it. In my opinion, synopses are much easier to do than queries but can still be a drag. I always have a synopsis ready though even if an agent doesn't ask for it, just in case.

Always a lesson to be learned.

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Others have given good advice.

Obviously there's a lesson to be learned here... I mean, would anyone jump out of a plane if they're not ready to use a parachute? Why would you not have a synopsis when you're already querying agents?

Yeah, I know it was stupid to not be ready for it. But, hey, I'm young. And I've learned my lesson. I'm still trying to write a synopsis, but it never seems to turn out the right way. And I'm scared I'll screw up. Ahhh the torture.

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
Author Janice Hardy has some really terrific synopsis advice, here. I still find synopses difficult, but she's helped me go through point by point and put together a backbone for them that can then be fleshed out and not just end up sounding like "...and then this happens, and then this happens..."

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.