Russian Orthodox Church documents

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Got a history paper to do on the Russian Orthodox Church and the Soviet state.
Does anyone know where I can find some primary sources on this, in English? I'm especially looking for Metropolitan Sergius' 1927 declaration of loyalty to the State.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dusty - Sounds like you're in school and because of that probably have much more possibility of access to books in libraries than those of us do who are out of school. I'd suggest you do some simple googling to see if you can identify some of the ones you think would be helpful to you. To make the most of Google - put items that go together in your search in quotes to keep them together - "Russian Orthodox Church". I know that's not exactly what you were hoping for - but - best I can do. Puma

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Dusty, this is as close to a primary source as I can offer you:

The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive. Andrew, Christoper, and Vasili Mitrokhin. Basic Books, 1999.

You'll want Chapter 28, pg. 486, which deals with the Soviet churches, as the rest is about KGB operations in general. The material comes from the smuggled archives of KGB defector Vasili Mitrokhin, and is significant, though it may or may not deal with your time frame. You should be able to find some data to track to primary sources if nothing else.

Also, for general reading, look for:

Religion in Russia Today. Baker, Alonzo L. Southern Publishing Association, 1967. This is largely secondary material, but again, should be traceable to primary sources, and it makes for a good overview.

Good luck!

:)

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I asked my professor the same question and he let me off the hook. We were supposed to have 4 primary sources and 4 secondary sources on our topics, but he'll just let me use more secondary sources. There are lots of those. Thanks though!