Anglican Rectors in Victorian England

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I'm doing some long-term research for this, but I'd like to find out if I'm even on the right track.

The plan is for a story set in a fictional market town in Yorkshire circa 1850, fairly close to the moors.

More than a generation past, a successful naval Captain (who'd made a fortune with prize money) purchased the local manor and its lands, essentially becoming the local squire. The baronet from whom he purchased the manor had a daughter, whom he married. Her family has a rather bad legend associated with them, involving a knight who was said to have sold his soul to the Devil during the English Civil War.

Anyway, this concerns the Captain's sons (or maybe grandsons). I've read the local Rector in this period were often the younger brother of the local Squire. Some questions:

• How young realistically could this Rector be? Around thirty or so? Younger?
  • Might this younger brother have some other position in the local Church? If so, what?
  • What are the rules about such a priest getting married?
Thanks in advance!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing some long-term research for this, but I'd like to find out if I'm even on the right track.

Anyway, this concerns the Captain's sons (or maybe grandsons). I've read the local Rector in this period were often the younger brother of the local Squire. Some questions:

• How young realistically could this Rector be? Around thirty or so? Younger?
  • Might this younger brother have some other position in the local Church? If so, what?
  • What are the rules about such a priest getting married?
Thanks in advance!

1. Could easily be if the Rector was the product of a second marriage
2. Curate. Effectively deputy priest. If the rector/vicar holds several parishes then the curate is the guy who actually takes the services, buries the dead etc.
3. There is no barrier to CoE clergy marrying - they are encouraged to

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For a humorous and beautifully written account of 19th century Anglican church , machinations, scandal, etc., read The Barchester Chronicles by Anthony Trollope. They're wonderful novels and they'll give you a pretty good idea of how things worked back then.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't quite see what a second marriage has to do with the question of his age to be Rector (or Curate)...?

Whoops. My error.
Certainly mid-twenties upwards is realistic for a CoE priest in their first position