Guns, Wounds, and Treatment

hakandragon

Registered
Reaction score
Next door to Madness and across the street from Sa
Hello everybody, I hope I'm posting this in the right place (I'm completely new to this site, so I'm still figuring out where everything is).

I guess getting straight into it, I need to know a couple of things. First I'll explain the situation as best I can.

My MC gets shot in the back right shoulder and his right lung collapses. He makes it into surgery pretty much right away and the surgery is a success.

Ok, I think that's got the basis of what's going on. Now,

1) What kind of gun could be used, (I'd like to see some kind of shotgun, but I don't think the outcome would be so positive)
2) what's the range of injuries that would be caused, (nerve damage, scaring, etc) and
3) how would those injuries be treated? (Physical Therapy, medication, etc) (surgery procedures aren't really discussed in length :) )
4) Finally, would it be possible for the MC to go back to work a month after leaving the hospital (he's an architect/designer, so no heavy lifting or anything like that :) )

I think that's everything...I've never really had to ask for help with writing before (this site isn't the only think I'm new to, LOL). The last time I just went to a library, but these questions are a bit different :p I hope it all makes sense...Thanks so much in advance to anyone who has some advice :) let me know if more information is needed from my end :)

Thanks again!

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, hakandragon :welcome:

Well, you've come to the right place. I'm no expert re: gunshot wounds but I'd say a shotgun might cause too much damage depending upon the type of ammo used, etc. Hopefully someone else can clarify. Is there a specific reason you were hoping to use a shotgun in the scene?

Is your novel set in present day (ie., important for firearm/ammo options)?

hakandragon

Registered
Reaction score
Next door to Madness and across the street from Sa
Thanks for the welcome! ^_^

Oh yes, I meant to add that in my first post; the scene is set in the present time, (2008-ish since it's a flashback).

As for a reason for a shotgun...dunno really. The shooter is pretty cocky, so maybe it's sort of an ego thing. I can see him picking out a larger gun to boost or match his ego.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
1) What kind of gun could be used, (I'd like to see some kind of shotgun, but I don't think the outcome would be so positive)
If he's cocky...let's see -- any gun would work really. Maybe a larger caliber like a .45? As for shotguns, I'll leave that to the SG experts on the board.

2) what's the range of injuries that would be caused, (nerve damage, scaring, etc) and
What's your shooting situation? Indoors or outside? If you're inside then your distance is more limited (obviously) and the extent of injury will depend upon the caliber & ammunition used...
This site may help you (gunshot wound with .40 caliber hollow point - to the chest): http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=451386bf5785eeac197ac0a43c27f55b
excerpt: "Large calibre handguns and hollow-point ammunition increase the likelihood of temporary cavitation and serious injury, despite a proven tangential tract."
Another good site re: different ammunition types: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200907/ai_n32426317/pg_3/?tag=content;col1
Do you want the injury to be a through and through or do you want him to suffer something a bit more drastic?

3) how would those injuries be treated? (Physical Therapy, medication, etc) (surgery procedures aren't really discussed in length :) )
I'm not sure... as in the first example the subject was admitted overnight and radiographs were taken; he was then released the following morning.
4) Finally, would it be possible for the MC to go back to work a month after leaving the hospital (he's an architect/designer, so no heavy lifting or anything like that :) )
I would think so... probably even sooner!

Hope this helps! :)

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
For a shotgun (most cases) he would have to be in excess of 40 yards away... maybe about 60 to get just a few pellets of buckshot on target. I think OO buckshot has decent penetration up to 100 yards, so this should be realistic.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
For a shotgun (most cases) he would have to be in excess of 40 yards away... maybe about 60 to get just a few pellets of buckshot on target. I think OO buckshot has decent penetration up to 100 yards, so this should be realistic.

I'm curious and I think it may help with the OP's question: What are the different types of ammo for a shotgun? I think I know what buckshot is but I only shot a SG once (and that was in academy and that was at those clay target things... :) )