Contest at Nathan Bransford's blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Erwin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words about my paragraph. Looking forward to the conversations. I never get enough chat with fellow writers about the craft.

Travis Erwin

Registered
Reaction score
One question. I added a picture to my profile but it does not show upw ith my messages. Any guesses why?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Did you add it as your profile picture or as your avatar?

Used to, you had to get a certain number of posts before you could get a unique avatar.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One question. I added a picture to my profile but it does not show upw ith my messages. Any guesses why?

I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you can have a custom avatar...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Welcome to AW, Travis. Congratulations on winning.

You need 50 posts to put up a custom avatar. Under the avatar setting in the UserCP panel you can select from some already provided for you.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com

You put up a profile pic, but not an avatar pic. The profile pic shows on your info page, but the avatar is separate.

Edit: Ignore me and listen to Cass. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love crits too. I certainly can't be the judge of my own work. People can't live in a vacuum. I'm in a once a month critique group in meatspace. It's helped me SO much. And I've also posted stuff for crit here...chapters of the first paragraph contest paragraph, actually. I listen to every piece of advice given to me. I've taken no courses...so it's my job to presume that everybody knows more than me. I listen to my ear...and it tells me whether or not to accept individual changes. I trust my ear to an extent...but always listen to the advice of others. You can't get a true feeling of the clarity of your own words. You need other eyes on it.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yo yo, Travis! You have entered a very friendly place, except for the squirrels in the Share Your Work Query Hell forum. They will steal all your acorns if you don't watch out. Otherwise, it's all good, especially the late night parties.

:PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil

(I'm the little blue chick in the back.)

BooksAndChocolate

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Travis, I'm fairly new also. CONGRATULATIONS on winning the first paragraph contest! I really enjoyed reading your entry. Good luck with the rest of your book, I hope you get it done quick, sold and we can buy it, so we can say...'we knew you when."

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome to AW, Travis. And a big congrats on winning the contest.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Travis! I hope you hang around. Congrats on the win, and congratulations to everyone else!

I was one of the people who entered the contest but didn't vote (one of many apparently). I didn't vote because I couldn't decide who to vote for, so I decided instead to sit on it for a few days and wound up forgetting about the deadline. Ooops.

I liked Travis, Alanna, and Lisa Marie especially, but I thought they were all excellent.

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Just read Nathan's Blog. Drat. I knew in the back of my mind that the reference to how long my character had been awake was a mistake, should have rewritten that, well, for the contest at least. :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got to check in for the day ...

Congratulations, Cyia!

And I see we've snagged Travis along the way. First place, for the world!

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
just got back from vacation and got all caught up on the contest results.
some really nice paragraphs in the final group.
congrats to all the AW folks, and welcome travis !!!!
:D

Skodobah

I don't dream for nothing!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julieduck.com
This is the best place! And don't mind the Squirrel Guy - I like his sassy, cynical style. However, I might be in the minority (hee hee!).

- Julie

yakkity

"what?"
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Travis. Kudos for your winning first paragraph. I'm looking forward to reading your memoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.