• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question (good place to look for agents?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno if this is the right place for this, but ah well. I need help finding an agent. So....does anyone know a good place to look for agents? Thanks in advance :)

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
agentquery.com and the Preditors and Editors website for starters.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
What TL said. And make sure you check the Bewares and Background Checks section of AW.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Searching for agents and publishers can be tricky, and knowing which are good and which, well let's just say may not as good, can be even trickier. The Bewares and Background Check Forum should help you with this. Something I would recommend for everyone who is searching for a pubisher/agent is to check them out first. If only everyone did, there would be a lot less heartache afterwards.

When your search for agents to represent you and your novel begins, I would recommend two sites: www.agentquery.com and also www.querytracker.net. As well as using the Bewares and Background Check Forum of course :D .

Also check out the Ask the Agent forum for help with agents and such. We have Nathan Bransford, who is our resident agent, and Jennifer Laughran as a guest agent answering agent related questions at the moment.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey new- I'd highly suggest following Danthia's link. Her blog gives some great "how-to" tips about querying, how to narrow your list for an agent. ETC. I would suggest querytracker.net for keeping track of what you've sent out, when and responses. It pays to be organized! Also, if you go to Bewares and Background checks you can click on the sticky links for more querying info. Best of luck to you!

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so much support. Thanks guys! I will most definatly do so. Though, any tips on getting an agent?

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Wow, so much support. Thanks guys! I will most definatly do so. Though, any tips on getting an agent?

That is such a general question, the thread could probably go on for years. However, you're in luck! There are probably thousands of threads on here about looking for an agent. Many here (probably the majority) are looking for agents as well. Since you're new, I suggest you look at the sites listed above and spend a few hours, if not days, reading over the threads on queries, summaries, agents, etc. If you have any questions on a specific agent, do a name search. Likely, there is already a thread on that agent. If you have a specific question about searching for an agent and can't find the answer via search terms, start a new thread with that specific question. Again, chances are someone has already had the question. :tongue

Good luck!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NewWriter - Scully931, and others, offered good advice for actually finding an agent. But before you follow any of their advice, you need something of submission ready quality to submit. So, of course, read and research as much as you can about agents and finding them. But before you actually start trying to find an agent for your work, make sure your work is ready.

FInd some beta readers. Post in the appropriate SYW forum. Make sure your writing is ready for agent submission.

good luck.

~suki

Resource Writer

Registered
Reaction score
The September edition of Writer's Digest has a section devoted to finding agents. You may want to go to www.writersdigest.com and order a back issue. They may even have an excerpt on the site.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.