This is wonderful.....wtg.

Much success with this one. W00t!

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Thanks, all. This was the epitome of fun writing, I think. I knocked it out in one month (69.4K). Obviously there's a bunch of editing to be done, but the first complete draft flew by. Wish they all would...;)

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Whey Hey

HI Bruce

Sorry for the late response but have dipped in from time to time. Congrats on your books. That is fantastic.

God Bless
Kev

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One month's work; I'm in awe, Bruce. Way to go, and hope it does well!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I love good news.

jayshell00

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jsfarthing.webs.com
Bruce, I noticed that a least one of your books was published by Tate Publishing. I was wondering what your experiance with them was like. I have recieved their contract and am trying to get a little insight from people who have actually worked with them...

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
Bruce, I noticed that a least one of your books was published by Tate Publishing. I was wondering what your experiance with them was like. I have recieved their contract and am trying to get a little insight from people who have actually worked with them...

After becoming a "victim" of PA, I have looked far and wide for honest, ethical and moral publishers, and/or agents or agencies.

My experience has been terribly negative with PA and rest assured this author "shall not" repeat it. To that end, I encountered Tate while searching far and wide and at first I really felt I may have found a great publisher - that is until I started my due dilligence.

Guess it depends on how desperate one is to "publish", however my decision is to steer clear of such operations, regardless of how many people tell me they have great experiences. I would rather to with self, such as Lulu or some other option, than invest substantial amounts for an unknown.

Of course, like everything, this is just MHO

Good luck to everyone there

God Bless

Bill

JustLooking

from a distance
Registered
Reaction score
Hi BruceJ, I'm very new to these boards and still finding my way around so I hope you won't mind a suggestion from a newbie. If it isn't already too late to say so, I was wondering if you were sure about the name of the journalist character in your book? The first thing I thought of when I saw her name in your preview was Madeleine McCann, the little British girl who went missing on holiday in Portugal a couple of years ago. It's still BIG news in Europe -- maybe less so in the States? It's just that the connection struck me as being rather unfortunate, so I thought I had to mention it.

Many congratulations on the contract :)

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Good point...

Hey, Just -

I didn't even think of that, honestly. The reason I selected that name was because I've used all 12 of my grandchildren's names in the book. My oldest granddaughter's name happens to be Madeline, and the surname of three of my grandchildren is McCann. I didn't even associate it with the tragedy in Europe until you just now mentioned it. Do you think it's a showstopper?

Thanks again for the heads-up and sorry it took me so long to reply. I've had little time to spend on the forums as of late; newest book coming out next month and am in the midst of editing, cover design, etc. (not Katia, but the final book in the "A Prophet's Tale" series: The Word Fuliflled).

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Late answer

Hi, Jay -

Again, apologies for such a belated response. It's probably too late now, but, if you haven't seen it, there's a lengthy thread on the "Bewares" board regarding Tate. My entry is here. It recounts my own experience. It generated considerable discussion, if you read on from there.

Wish you the best in your writing! :)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Just -

I didn't even think of that, honestly. The reason I selected that name was because I've used all 12 of my grandchildren's names in the book. My oldest granddaughter's name happens to be Madeline, and the surname of three of my grandchildren is McCann. I didn't even associate it with the tragedy in Europe until you just now mentioned it. Do you think it's a showstopper?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if that'd be a showstopper. Names are pretty incidental even when coincidental in stories, and don't usually mean anything; also the news will be far removed enough from your publication date. But if there was a chance it could be problematic, betcha anything your publisher would've told you.

JustLooking

from a distance
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, now it's my turn to be late responding!

The Maddie McCann story is still in the news quite frequently, even two years on, and I don't think her parents are going to let it fade. I don't know how effective their campaign is in the US, though.

Showstopper? Well, I think it might throw me out of the story to read a novel with her name in. But that's just one little opinion...:flag:

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Sorry, now it's my turn to be late responding!

The Maddie McCann story is still in the news quite frequently, even two years on, and I don't think her parents are going to let it fade. I don't know how effective their campaign is in the US, though.

Showstopper? Well, I think it might throw me out of the story to read a novel with her name in. But that's just one little opinion...:flag:

Thanks, Pat and Just. I'll consider your thoughts. I don't blame Madeleine's parents for keeping it alive--I certainly would. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'd like to keep the family-name connection I mentioned above alive. We'll see how things progress.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
All:

Thanks so much for the feedback. After trying on dozens of Irish surnames on for size, I changed the last name from McCann to McNeal (had to keep it Irish for the storyline). Hope that's distant enough not to raise eyebrows.

Again, I sincerely appreciate the heads-up. I don't want to offend anyone needlessly, nor be insensitive to any European readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.