How to approach local papers for promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
my release date was just moved up a month and I was wondering it is okay to call my local papers to ask about doing a human interest story on the release or is this a no-no?

I feel funny doing that but I would if it would help me get some promotions- but I don't want to do something stupid either- any advice?

JFBookman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebookdesigner.com
You might think about approaching them with a press release, a press kit complete with book photos, author photos, sample reviews, background that relates to the local angle, etc. rather than a phone call. If you do enough of the work for them you will make the story pretty irresistible. Check The Self Publishing Manual for more detail on this, but you do have the right idea!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
You might want to take a look at Tim Herrera's book on media relations. He is a long-time newspaper guy and is an acquaintance of mine through local writers groups. See http://www.timherrera.com/ .

If you have (if you ARE, really) a good local interest/human interest story for the paper, a columnist might want to write about you. News article, maybe not so much so, but columist, could be.

--Ken

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a small town, so I rang the local newspapers. They took photos and interviewed me for the article. They also include news of my book signings in their area, from time to time. I also contacted the local radio station and was interviewed by them, on air. Have answers ready for all the predictable questions - short, witty answers. Good luck.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all- this part scares the crap out of me-

Status
Not open for further replies.