Safire dead at 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Woods Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the Maine woods. Even a GPS has trouble fi
One of the greatest writers of the past 30 years died last night at a hospice in Maryland.

William Safire, writing for the NYT Op-Ed section died last night of pancreatic cancer. Safire originally wrote for the Republican's in the Nixon Administration and moved on to the NYT as their 'token Republican' on a liberal editorial staff. He wrote all the way up to the last 30 days of his life.

May we all, as writer's, have the courage to write our perspectives in the face of opposing views and popular trends, no matter what the subject.

"All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke, Member of the British House

Orientalist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
susanjcunningham.wordpress.com
writers. Republicans. It just isn't that hard to get it right.

Calling Safire one of greatest writers is way over the top. Come on, can you name any of his books?

But he wrote a very entertaining language column and he wasn't a snob. He never took the attitude that a new word or expression was inherently bad.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Though I was 'way far away from Safire politically, he had a way with words. Also, even when I disagreed with his columns, they were reasonable in tone, not the irrational hate-filled screeds that seem to be passing for conservative thought these days.

GraysonMoran

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Calling Safire one of greatest writers is way over the top. Come on, can you name any of his books?

That was my immediate thought, exactly. He was a newspaper writer, essentially. Kind of a cool one, but "greatest writers" is really pushing it.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who wins a Pulitzer is great in my book ( and not my fiction one). May he rest in peace.

Deleted member 42

He was a great writer; a lot of what he wrote will probably not be known for a few years--he wrote speeches and letter for a number of White House officials.

And the man won a Pulitzer.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
He was a very good wordsmith.

Matwilson, you're coming perilously close to spamming links to your various articles. You've just resurrected a long-dead thread for no other reason that to post a throw-away one-liner so that your sig link will post. That's spamming.

This isn't going to end well for you here, if you persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.