Need Some Help from the YA Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I've never visited this forum before today as what I write is DEFINITELY not YA. (Probably not for adults either, but that's another story!)

However, my 11 year old stepdaughter (12 in December) is, if I do say so myself, a brilliant child and an avid reader. I'd like to get her some books for Christmas but I'm not sure what books would be suitable for her age group. (When I was her age, I read The Godfather & The Exorcist, so I'm probably not a good judge of appropriate reading material.)

Right now she's reading an RL Stein book and says she likes mysteries.

Any suggestions as to what books she might enjoy? I know absolutely nothing about YA so am not familiar with any of the books. The last YA I ever read was Trixie Belden as a kid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Oh! I can help!

Okay, I don't know much about mysteries, but here are some suggestions of books I loved at her age (which wasn't THAT long ago since I'm 18).

ARE YOU THERE, GOD? IT"S ME, MARGARET by Judy Blume (anything by her. She's unbeatable)
THE OUTSIDERS by S. E. Hinton
THE BABYSITTER by RL Stein
THAT SUMMER by Sarah Dessen (most of hers are aged 12+ so, she's a good choice for the more girly picks)
SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson (slightly mature, but the main character is 14 and it's a must read for any girl, really)
HARRY POTTER (I assume she's read these already)

I might think of more, but those are the first that come to mind!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If she likes RL Stein, she might like Christopher Pike, since I remember reading them at the same time and associating them in my mind. The only one I know for sure that's in bookstores is the Last Vampire series, which I believe just was combined with three novels in one. Possibly called "Thirst" now?

My YA mystery knowledge is failing me (I know some mysteries that were out when I was a YA... but that was a while ago), but I wonder if she'd be interested in the Gallagher Girl series, which is about a girls' school for spies.

One classic mystery, though, is The Westing Game, and I know they still publish that.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a great new book out that is a mystery. It's called When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead. Terrific book!

I also really love the Skulduggery Pleasant series, which is by an Irish author named Derek Landy - Books 1 and 2 are already out. The main character is a girl with magical abilities who teams up with a skeleton detective to solve magic crimes. Really amazing books, with terrific voice - sarcastic and very smart.

And I'm really not an audio-book person, but the audi-cds of these books are fabulous. Really great.

~suki

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
The Thief of Always - Clive Barker (though maybe keep her away from his adult stuff)
The Blue Girl - Charles de Lint

Amynta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
catherine-haines.com
If she likes RL Stein, she might like Christopher Pike, since I remember reading them at the same time and associating them in my mind. The only one I know for sure that's in bookstores is the Last Vampire series, which I believe just was combined with three novels in one. Possibly called "Thirst" now?

I was actually thinking about Christopher Pike when she said R.L. Stine. Definitely the direction I went in that aspect. Pike and the old Point Horror books.

My YA mystery knowledge is failing me (I know some mysteries that were out when I was a YA... but that was a while ago), but I wonder if she'd be interested in the Gallagher Girl series, which is about a girls' school for spies.

I've only read the first Gallagher Girl book, but I enjoyed it. Definitely might be an option.

If she does express an interest in fantasy, perhaps introduce her to Tamora Pierce's works? Lots of strong female characters, and I found the books when I was just a little older than 11 and I loved them to bits (still do).

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to suggest The Guardian of the Gate by Richard Blackburn available from Lachesis Publications.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The Den of Shadows Quartet by Amelia Atwater Rhodes is slightly a Pike/Stein sort of book (and it's four books in one, without being four times the price). The author was 13 when she wrote the first one, and they're a lot of fun to read.

Mary Downing Hahn writes a bit like R. L. Stein--which is to say, ghost stories and things that go bump in the night, with more mystery than Stein's typically have. Her newer Deep and Dark and Dangerous is fantastic. Stein and Hahn (along with Zilpha Keatly Snyder's Headless Cupid set) were easily my favorite writers for a good year or three.

Leila

bookshop girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theleilasoliloquy.blogspot.com
If she's into mysteries, maybe try the 'Echo Falls' series by Peter Abrahams. The first one is called 'Down the Rabbit Hole'. I haven't read it yet, but one of my co-workers is completely in love with the series. The main character is a thirteen year old girl who plays soccer, acts in the local community theatre production of Alice in Wonderland, and finds herself caught up in solving a murder mystery.

From what I've been told, they're well written, exciting stuff with very memorable characters. I'm planning on reading them myself as soon as I have time :)

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
If she's into mysteries, maybe try the 'Echo Falls' series by Peter Abrahams. The first one is called 'Down the Rabbit Hole'. I haven't read it yet, but one of my co-workers is completely in love with the series. The main character is a thirteen year old girl who plays soccer, acts in the local community theatre production of Alice in Wonderland, and finds herself caught up in solving a murder mystery.

From what I've been told, they're well written, exciting stuff with very memorable characters. I'm planning on reading them myself as soon as I have time :)

Oh I'm so glad you posted this! I've read Down the Rabbit Hole and it's Fantastic! But I didn't know it was actually the first of a series! *Squees and runs off to the library*

Becky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kingsleyfamilyportrait.blogspot.com
Ok, I'm gonna suggest the Cherub Series by Robert Muchamore (the earlier ones, at least.) I'm 17 and am still reading them (and loving them!). The later ones do say 'not for younger readers.' Someone please tell me if you think they're not right for this age - I've always read above my age, and age-appropriateness baffles me sometimes!

Jodi - they're about child spies, and if she likes mystery I reckon she'd like these. They're really good reads, in my opinion.

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the hunger games. the second book in the series just came out, so you could pick up both book 1 "the hunger games" and book 2 "catching fire"

one warning - kids die in this book, quite a bit more ruthlessly than in, say, harry potter.

if she likes RL Stein, I think the hunger games would interest her and step up the reading level a bit. if she's reading that much, she'll probably be evolving quickly to higher level books.

AriannaB

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that much about mysteries but I highly recommend:

anything by Tamora Pierce, especially the Immortals series
The Gallagher Girl series by Ally Carter
anything by Sarah Dessen (The Truth About Forever is my favorite!)

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
If she likes R. L. Stein, then she'll probably like anything by Lois Duncan.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks folks. I had no idea about any of those writers or books. I've heard of RL Stein, but that's about it. I think I might get her a sampling across the spectrum of authors listed and she can decide what she likes so I can get more for other occasions and holidays.

I'm off to make a list so I can start checking at local bookstores.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.