Book Trailer Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
Recently the WashingtonPost had an article on authors doing self promotion. One of the ways they mentioned were book trailers.

I write YA, and I love the YA book trailers that are available on sites such as You Tube. My question to the group (and especially those writers who have done a book trailer) is about the music. Recently, several of the book trailers I have seen have used music from groups that I've recognized.

Is this a rights usage issue? Did the authors (I'm assuming most book trailers are author funded, not publisher) buy one time use rights to the music, or are they just using songs they like?

More importantly, if I make a book trailer and my book is wildly popular (I can dream), am I going to get sued by Tricky Dan and the Tricksters for using their song in my trailer?

Discuss. :D

Katie Alender

Registered
Reaction score
It's fairly expensive to license music, unless it's a band who happens to owe you a favor. I'd say most trailers you find that feature mainstream music are hoping to get away with it long enough to sell a few books.

One thing you can do to get around the problem is look for composers who are interested in having something for their reel.

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Katie. I've seen your book trailer by the way, very nice.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Rights are expensive. Not sure about individual song or work, but we tried to get ASCAP once and they wanted over $800. And that was over 10 years ago.

If I'm going to do a trailer (still a LONG way) I'll write my own. I already have three pieces done.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Katie, your book trailer is awesome. I've seen other book trailers where people splice movie scenes together, but this seemed to be done so professionally. Was this done specifically FOR your book or was this a snippet of another movie that just so happened to fit your theme? I'm totally intrigued now (much more-so than I have been of book trailers in the past).

Katie Alender

Registered
Reaction score
Katie, your book trailer is awesome. I've seen other book trailers where people splice movie scenes together, but this seemed to be done so professionally. Was this done specifically FOR your book or was this a snippet of another movie that just so happened to fit your theme? I'm totally intrigued now (much more-so than I have been of book trailers in the past).
Thanks! Yes, this was made specifically as a trailer for the book. We asked some friends for help and the stars aligned (except the part where the shoot went to 9 p.m. on Valentine's Day and none of the guys' wives would speak to them when they got home). The music was done by friends, as well.

Ryan David Jahn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ryandavidjahn.com
If you're making your own trailer, or have friends producing a trailer, try googling "Kevin MacLeod." He produces royalty free music and simply asks for credit on whatever you produce. (He does suggest a five dollar donation, but it's not required.)

Alternatively, there are web sites from which you can download songs for $20 - $50 each, which download comes complete with a license to use the song in a production for noncommercial or commercial use. I can't think of them off the top of my head but googling "royalty free music" will probably get you to them. Several of the songs are pretty cheesy, but there are a surprising number -- usually classic music recorded on piano -- that are pretty nice and very usable for a trailer.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That said yeah there are a lot of royalties-free music you can rent/buy at nominal fees, of different styles (cinematic, jazz, piano, business, etc.)

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
DO a search of "Common Creative" music, especially "BY" category. It means you only need attribute the creator in your product. There are multiple categories of use (Commercial, BY, Derivatives, etc) and you need to read the conditions of each CC agreement carefully.

If you check out the book videos on my site (Davisstories.com), both use creative common music under a "by" agreement (I must attribute to the author.)

There are tons of sites that offer CC music free of charge with no royal. Just do a search. Took me almost two days to search through the thousands of available songs to find ones that went with my themes and were CC-BY.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
iStockphoto.com has recently expanded to offer royalty free songs. It's mostly just background music but I've used it in presentations for work. Their stock photography is also quite inexpensive (copmared to other stock companies).

Status
Not open for further replies.