Publishing negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cx7c

Registered
Reaction score
I have a full MS out with a small publisher right now and am wondering what I should do if I get an offer. I am unagented and would prefer to stay that way unless I'm completely overwhelmed with the process. So how much leeway does an author have to make requests? Can I ask for a higher advance/film and audio rights/foreign rights? If I could get the first two, should I forego international rights since that would be a nightmare to figure out with each different country. I assume I'd still make a buck or two on the books sold abroad.

Of course, I'm dreaming a bit here but it could happen! I just want to be prepared.

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
I sold my first book to a small press without an agent. However, looking at the contract was very overwhelming. I elicited the help of my cousin (criminal lawyer), who put me in touch with a friend working in entertainment law. She was able to make sense of all the mumbo-jumbo. I then scratched off the clauses I was unwilling to accept and sent it back to the publisher. They didn't have a problem with it at all, and I'm told most small publishers are much more negotiable than the Big Boys. I would, however, suggest you have someone with a legal background take a look at it if possible.

Hope the deal goes through for you.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to hire a literary rights attorney when the time comes. If you go it alone, without an agent or a literary rights attorney, you will probably get eaten alive.

cx7c

Registered
Reaction score
Thx for the advice. Does a literary rights attorney charge by the hour? Or do they take a percentage of income like an agent? Id prefer a one time fee to review the contract and give advice...

cx7c

Registered
Reaction score
Hedge, did you dare ask for more $$?

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I did. Although the terms of royalties were acceptable (I think they were something like 12% for the first 1000 books sold and then escalating up to 15% thereafter), I was able to negotiate on what that number was based on. The original contract based rotayalties on wholesale price as opposed to retail price. Watch this very carefully. Publishers offer bookstores and distributors a huge discount, and if your royalties are based on wholesale, that's the number used in the caluculation. On the other hand, royalties based on retail are calculated using the actual price the consumer pays for the book. I was able to negotiate this clause in my contract.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Thx for the advice. Does a literary rights attorney charge by the hour? Or do they take a percentage of income like an agent? Id prefer a one time fee to review the contract and give advice...

Usually by the hour, but don't figure on one visit and/or review. He'll read the contract, tell you of changes that have to be made and others he'd like to see made to benefit you. You may need him draft a letter-or email-which should sound like it came from you. After the publisher responds you'll probably want him to review changes made and discuss those not made.

Depending on your relationship with the editor, after you've first reviewed the contract with the attorney, you might ask her if she would mind meeting with you and the attorney to discuss the contract.

As you know, attorneys don't come cheap. Figure on at least $2000.00, probably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.