Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But isn't this convention solely for PA authors? Will they let a non-PA'er register and enter?

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
I have never trusted BBB. I have seen too many scammers get around their rating system. It doesn't surprise me that PA has yet again come up smelling like a half dead rodent.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
BBB's not a government agency, it's a private business.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
no you're not, you're just priceless. They do act like a gov't agency sometimes. :ROFL:

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
It's cuz the period at the end of the sentence is included in the html link. Erase the period at the end and it'll go through.

This is the photo on the page the link goes to:
crowd.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's not the last PA convention!

...correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the banner on the far left, isn't that BookExpo America from 2006?

bea2006.gif

Talk about your shoddy editing job... didn't even remove the actual tradeshow's logos from the banners, or blur it out or anything.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
As far as literary scams go, the BBB is worthless. I'm aware of fraudulent agents who had A+ ratings with the BBB on the day the cops arrived to box up everything in their office for evidence.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Think of it as an "artist's impression" of a PA conference. Con artist's impression.

Oh, I know; the idea that they'd have a conference that big -- much less that they'd have other publishers exhibiting there, or C-SPAN -- is ridiculous. But I'm just sort of bewildered that they left the picture recognizable enough that someone out there who's never attended BEA (i.e., me) could figure out from the banners that it was BEA 2006.

Still, it seems unusual to me. My impression has been that PA usually leads people along by telling them a form of the truth, but with ambiguous language ("'available' in bookstores") and weasel-words ('at the publisher's discretion') that leaves them an out. They're usually fairly careful not to actually engage in outright lies they could be caught in, which this picture fairly demonstrably is.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I don't know that it counts as a lie. They don't label the picture. Shoot, it's just a picture! Could have been a picture of a tree! It's just there to break up the white space on the page.

As to the successful authors, news media, thousands of people, and so on that they "expect" to have at their convention, they aren't lying about that, either. They expected them! I can just see Miranda slapping her forehead and saying, "I don't know where they were! I certainly expected them to show up!"

I'm waiting to see how this fiasco convention unfolds. One thing we can be pretty certain of: PA will do their darnedest to keep their authors away from contact with any actual successful authors or real publishing people.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I thought one of the problems with the first PA convention was that their authors started comparing notes...hard to see how they'll avoid that. Especially since the honeymoon seems to be wearing off in weeks or days rather than months.

I could see a happy newbie buying a ticket, but becoming a cluebie before the convention. At that point, they usually have tried and failed to get answers, and they might figure the convention would be a good place to buttonhole PA management.

I wonder if PA has considered how many of their attending authors will have promised their families & friends to tweet or blog about the exciting events right from the convention floor via cell phone? Twitter didn't exist last time PA had a conference...

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know; the idea that they'd have a conference that big -- much less that they'd have other publishers exhibiting there, or C-SPAN -- is ridiculous. But I'm just sort of bewildered that they left the picture recognizable enough that someone out there who's never attended BEA (i.e., me) could figure out from the banners that it was BEA 2006.
On the PA page, the picture is a lot smaller. About 10 cm wide, I think. So it looks impressive but you can't really tell anything other than Big Hall! Lots of people! Colourful booths! etc. Until you copy it to another forum where it shows up full size, that is.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
God, I get exhausted just thinking about having to pile so many lies upon lies for this many years. I wonder how, if at all, the Stooges maintain any kind of grip on reality when everything they do, every day all day, automatically has to be coated in lies and deceit.

In some ways it must be like repeating the same word over and over until it loses all meaning - thinking and speaking of nothing but automated lies about books and publishing must eventually render you somewhat numb and confused about what you are actually doing and saying.

The psychologist in me would like very much to get a real, honest interview with a person like Miranda - but then the thing about people like Miranda is that honest interviews are very hard to come by, isn't it?

Last edited:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I thought one of the problems with the first PA convention was that their authors started comparing notes...
We did, DW. We compared notes on how we'd been verbally abused, how mistakes had been injected into our manuscripts, how royalty checks didn't add up to what our own records showed, how we believed names were simply made up to appear as though they had a much larger staff.

What was really creepy is that they watched us all like hawks - and that's why they hired armed guards at the banquet. They feared a revolt. And golly, we got to PAY for the honor.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
PA sez:
Our shopping cart requires that you choose a shipping option to activate your reservation.
PA honed the skill of getting blood out of a turnip.

I would LOVE to see the brouhaha when all those PA authors get together and compare notes.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
but then the thing about people like Miranda is that honest interviews are very hard to come by, isn't it?

Well, it has to be pretty bad when her own public defender couldn't get a straight story out of her twice and had to fire himself.

"The case went to trial in March 1998 but quickly ended in a mistrial on the second day after Charles Plath, Prather's public defender, announced he had been misled by his client and he could not properly defend her.

Too bad you can't interview Plath, but what he knows is prolly under attorney/client privilege. I suspect he would have a very clear memory of HER! :evil

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another post along the lines of "I love PA, but...."

I have two books with PA and have been extremely happy with them... even sent other writers to them, one of whom now has a PA book on the market as well.

I noticed that when I placed small orders, the wait time was much like before... delivery within a week or so. However, I placed a rather large order in early October that has not yet been filled. I got the same response when I called... they changed printers and my books haven't even been uploaded as yet.

With the holidays and increased demand for my books, I am really concerned that my inventory will be depleted before these books arrive. Demand has finally increased and now the supply is drying up. This situation is extremely unnerving to say the very least.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
We did, DW. We compared notes on how we'd been verbally abused, how mistakes had been injected into our manuscripts, how royalty checks didn't add up to what our own records showed, how we believed names were simply made up to appear as though they had a much larger staff.

What was really creepy is that they watched us all like hawks - and that's why they hired armed guards at the banquet. They feared a revolt. And golly, we got to PAY for the honor.

Did I walk into a joke or is this true? You had armed guards at the banquet?