The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I think their profit would be good, as it seems fair to assume, based on other posts, they won't actually ship the books anyway. Just probably give some lame excuse for months as to the delay.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many authors will order it, only get the eight books, then be told that they didn't do the order form right or something. From what was said previously, there's no proof of the extra ordered books on the bill, and that makes it super easy to say that the author just made a mistake and didn't do it right. I know it's wrong of me to think that, but we see how often things like this already happen with authors not receiving discounts or not receiving royalties and what not in line with the agreement, and when they basically make themselves unaccountable (yet again) it just leaves me cringing and thinking, "Great, we're going to be hearing about this on PAMB before long."

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone is still getting sucked into these poorly-disguised money grabs by PA?

Eventually the fish recognize the hook and will stop biting, you know.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Unfortunately, I am aware of a couple of PA authors who have taken advantage of these "special offers." Not the latest one, but the one where the books were sent to Oprah and one of the offers a few weeks ago.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with something like this is people will go for it because it might offer the only option for resale at a profit. Whether people like it or not, if they realize that, they'll spend the money when they feel like it's a good opportunity.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Most recent reply

Hey PA lurkers, if you're having problems receiving your book orders from PA, try checking with Baker & Taylor directly.

They have replaced Lightning Source as the commercial printer PA uses, according to the latest advertising by PA.

This is what B&T told me:

We are not printing books for Publish America.

ETA: Try contacting TextStream, a subsidiary of B&T located in their distribution center in Illinois that does digital printing.

I queried B&T again, and just got this reply:

I apologize. We are doing the POD for PublishAmerica .

Sorry if I got everyone's hopes up.

*phooey*

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Darn, so were mine.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spotted over at the PA group on Facebook:
Dear Author: Two days
only. Tell your fans! All books at PublishAmerica are priced
down to $7.99. No coupons, no minimum purchase volumes.
Just $7.99 for any book, in any quantity.Want some copies
of your own book on hand? This is the day! Check it out at
{blah}. Hardcovers excluded.
Thank you, PublishAmerica
Author Support Team

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Tell your fans! All books at PublishAmerica are priced
down to $7.99.

If they're fans, wouldn't that tend to mean that they already have the book?

Also, I wouldn't know where to begin if I was told to "tell my fans" something. I don't know who/where they are.

But I guess that's only a problem if "fans" and "family" aren't interchangeable.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I apologize. We are doing the POD for PublishAmerica .

B-b-b-but PA isn't a POD publisher. They say so!

FACT #5: PublishAmerica is NOT in any way a POD, vanity press, or subsidy publisher, and has nothing in common with them. Obviously, our authors are also not being self-published. In the most commonly used context, POD indicates "Publish On Demand", or vanity publishing. Vanity publishers charge for their "services". Some charge a few hundred dollars, others a thousand or more. We are not in that league, in any way, shape or fashion.

B&T, how DARE you? What planet are you on? Apologize immediately!

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
They claim to be print on demand, not "publish on demand" - meaning they're a "traditional publisher" who uses a certain printing technology, not a vanity publisher who publishes whatever the author wants them to publish.

I think.

Either way it's BS.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They claim to be print on demand, not "publish on demand" - meaning they're a "traditional publisher" who uses a certain printing technology, not a vanity publisher who publishes whatever the author wants them to publish.

I think.

Either way it's BS.
Time for this hoary chestnut by Lewis Carroll:
"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,'" Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't – till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"

"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument,'" Alice objected.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master – that's all."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again.

"They've a temper, some of them – particularly verbs, they're the proudest – adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs – however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Time for this hoary chestnut by Lewis Carroll:
"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,'" Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't – till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"

"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument,'" Alice objected.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master – that's all."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again.

"They've a temper, some of them – particularly verbs, they're the proudest – adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs – however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

^
Post of the day. Well done, Ben! :D

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just seemed appropriate since that's what I've seen about PA on these boards, how they twist things around to make them fit their version of how the business works.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Totally.

They aren't print on demand, they're publish on demand. Either that, or they aren't publish on demand, they're print on demand.

I never could tell the difference.

I thought that the difference was that they aren't POD, they're POD. And clearly italics makes all the difference in the world. ;)