Florida Attorney General Files Suit Against Robert Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency

ramurphy20

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. I tried asking on the Writer Beware blog (where it was linked) but my comment was deleted without any explanation. It seemed so odd.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how long a standard Florida AG suit takes to wind its way through the courts but a thought occurs to me: perhaps the suit against Fletcher has been dragging on so long because the AG has assigned it low priority. I've read countless news stories on the theme "Florida: Ground Zero in the foreclosure-fraud crisis"; maybe the AG's office doesn't have sufficient staff to look at Fletcher because they're focusing on matters of more immediate importance, like "Preventing thousands of state residents from fraudulently being made homeless."

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The Florida AG's office is definitely dealing with the foreclosure fraud crisis--but staff are also actively pursuing the Fletcher lawsuit. Suits like this often bog down in defendants' delaying tactics, such as attempted venue changes, appealing court rulings, and firing lawyers in order to trigger a 90-day delay while a new lawyer gets up to speed.

- Victoria

Reaction score
Is that what is actually happening? Are you saying that Fletcher is delaying, using attempted venue changes, appealing court rulings (What rulings? Have there been any?) and firing lawyers to trigger a 90 day delay? It would help a lot to stay on point instead of making implications (i.e., state what you know). If you don't know anything just say so.

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?

Reaction score
Oh stop . . . I think that we're all chomping at the bit on this. Take my words with a grain of salt.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I think that NYC_Writer_001 has a point. Unless someone does have evidence that Fletcher has been using delay tactics of the type described then it's pure speculation that it is the reason for the delay.

Any court proceeding takes time - sometimes purely due to the pressures on court availability, which means that dates have to be booked into calendar months in advance.

MM

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Notice Victoria said "suits like this." She didn't refer to this one specifically.

MM is also correct in that it sometimes takes quite a while just to get a case on the calendar.

Reaction score
We could argue implication and innuendo all day long. Why not say administrative delays . . . lack of prosecution? What’s wrong with fair and balanced? There could be judicial delays too. I just think that it's important to be professional, precise and report facts. Credibility is an asset and goes much farther in the court of public opinion.

Deleted member 42

We could argue implication and innuendo all day long. Why not say administrative delays . . . lack of prosecution? What’s wrong with fair and balanced? There could be judicial delays too. I just think that it's important to be professional, precise and report facts. Credibility is an asset and goes much farther in the court of public opinion.

I know who Victoria is. I don't know who you are but I do know you're a brand new member who has only posted in this thread, that you post anonymously and that you have an agenda.

That's hardly professional, now is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I know who Victoria is. I don't know who you are but I do know you're a brand new member who has only posted in this tread, that you post anonymously and that you have an agenda.

That's hardly professional, now is it?

Medievalist, I'm not anonymous. My name is Nick Caruso. Did your parents really name you "Medievalist" or is that something that you just hide behind? I'm anonymous? Sure, I'm new and working on my book. I came here to look for advice and counsel. Being new to this environment (publishing) it's very confusing and I thought that there were reasonable people here that had good intentions and not hidden agendas.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*ahem* check her sig line.

Reaction score
Medievalist sorry. Still learning here. However, it's still very difficult to navigate through fact, fiction, negativity and all the name calling etc.etc. etc.

Deleted member 42

I can honestly say it's not difficult at all.

Much may be accomplished by actually looking at published books and considering how they look, who wrote them, who their agent is, who published the books, what else they have published and in what libraries and bookstores the books may be found.

These things are the prima facie of publishing, and have been for centuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

Much may be accomplished by actually looking at published books and considering how they look, who wrote them, who their agent is, who published the books, what else they have published and in what libraries and bookstores the books may be found.

Sound Sage advise. Very much appreciated.

Reaction score

These things are the prima facie of publishing, and have been for centuries.

So, really what is wrong with people here? What’s all the paranoia all about? I pose a simple question and C. K. Casner posts ”Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?” and WriterMomto3 posts “I definitely smell something. Hmmm. You have a mighty good nose.” For people like me, wanting to publish a book, wading about seeking advice, being called a troll . . . come on. There’s certainly a balancing test that any prospective author has to go through to evaluate the good and the bad. I’m looking for options, help, alternatives and I’m questioning statements and/or assertions made by known professionals. Is this really how your peers treat each other here?

Deleted member 42

So, really what is wrong with people here? What’s all the paranoia all about? I pose a simple question and C. K. Casner posts ”Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?” and WriterMomto3 posts “I definitely smell something. Hmmm. You have a mighty good nose.” For people like me, wanting to publish a book, wading about seeking advice, being called a troll . . . come on. There’s certainly a balancing test that any prospective author has to go through to evaluate the good and the bad. I’m looking for options, help, alternatives and I’m questioning statements and/or assertions made by known professionals. Is this really how your peers treat each other here?

It's the smell of an agenda, frankly.

Your language is marked in particular ways; ways that were oddly familiar.

Now, I know why. I've read your prose before.

The fact that a state attorney general is suing Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency is enough to give any writer more than a little concern.

Reaction score
It's the smell of an agenda, frankly.

Your language is marked in particular ways; ways that were oddly familiar.

Now, I know why. I've read your prose before.

The fact that a state attorney general is suing Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency is enough to give any writer more than a little concern.

Huh??? I'm not published. This is totally nuts. Are you serious?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Medievalist, I'm not anonymous. My name is Nick Caruso. Did your parents really name you "Medievalist" or is that something that you just hide behind? I'm anonymous? Sure, I'm new and working on my book. I came here to look for advice and counsel. Being new to this environment (publishing) it's very confusing and I thought that there were reasonable people here that had good intentions and not hidden agendas.
Saving this post for posterity.