Florida Attorney General Files Suit Against Robert Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
Is the A.G. trying to get class action certification? If appears that this is the first step into something much larger, but I'm actually quite surprised than criminal charges weren't filed first.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
The troll door -- it's the one under the bridge to the left.

The thing with those testimonials? There's not enough data in them for independent verification. Hence, considering the source, they are suspect.

The Idiot...?

Troll, stomp away!
Registered
Reaction score
Well...you see....

The thing about this "lawsuit" is that these 175 authors make up less than 1% of the authors who's works are being published by AEG. Most of these 175 authors’ works were either really awful, full of grammatical errors, or they did nothing to MARKET their material and wanted AEG to do it for them. NO publishing company markets the author’s material, the publishing company only PUBLISHES it...it is the author’s job to market their material if they want to make sales. Some books are so awful but the author whole-heartedly believes their material will sell, and they have no idea about anything to do with writing. NO publishing company will say that they will market the author’s materials.

I have worked with this company and judging by the claims of these 175 authors, they did not read their contracts very well. Everything that they are claiming is stated in the contracts when the authors sign them...

...ask me more if you are interested in getting an inside look, from someone who has actually worked with AEG and has worked with a lot of these illiterate authors.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Why would any legitimate publishing company contract to publish "illiterate" authors?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me.

-Ann C. Crispin

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
...ask me more if you are interested in getting an inside look, from someone who has actually worked with AEG and has worked with a lot of these illiterate authors.

Given that it's been proved in court that Fletcher is a fraudster whose fee-charging literary enterprises are frauds, I can't imagine why anybody would listen to his shills.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't "illiterate" and "author" sort of mutually exclusive? Even if there are grammatical atrocities on every page, if it's written in English (or the writer's native language) the writer is - by definition - literate.

Try again.

The Idiot...?

Troll, stomp away!
Registered
Reaction score
...?

Given that it's been proved in court that Fletcher is a fraudster whose fee-charging literary enterprises are frauds, I can't imagine why anybody would listen to his shills.

Proved? oh...you must mean proven. This is one example of what I mean by "illiterate authors".

Can you please explain to ME how his work is fraud? If the authors read their contracts (which they obviously don't) they will find that there is NO fraud involved. All of you who have not had a book published with this company are only going on word of mouth of the less than 1% of authors who ARE the people either looking for a lawsuit, horrible writers, or want all the marketing services for free...

The Idiot...?

Troll, stomp away!
Registered
Reaction score

Another thing...
When has it been "proved", as you say, in court that Robert Fletcher is a "fraudster"? I know for a fact that you are wrong, my friend. This is the first lawsuit he has had against him regarding this...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
All of you who have not had a book published with this company are only going on word of mouth of the less than 1% of authors

Actually, I'm not. I looked at Strategic Book Publishing's website, which was enough to show me it was a vanity press, and not an honest one.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:
Someone needs to buy a dictionary. FYI, since you can't seem to lock down the concept:

Merriam-Webster said:
prove
One entry found.

* Main Entry: prove
* Pronunciation: \ˈprüv\
* Function: verb
* Inflected Form(s): proved; proved or prov·en \ˈprü-vən, British also ˈprō-\; prov·ing \ˈprü-viŋ\

Either is correct - proved, or proven... unless Mr. Webster is also an illiterate author :rolleyes:

The Idiot...?

Troll, stomp away!
Registered
Reaction score
Why would any legitimate publishing company contract to publish "illiterate" authors?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me.

-Ann C. Crispin

When I worked with the company, we tried to give EVERY author the benefit of the doubt. Imagine (if YOU are an author) how many times your book has been shot down by many different publishers... We would want to give you at least somewhat of a chance of being an author. Some books were so horrendous that we did not, in fact, contract them. there are still some though that were still pretty bad, that we gave a chance.
It was not our fault if the author couldn't sell the book... we made no gaurantee at all to sell ANY of their books, only to publish.

The Idiot...?

Troll, stomp away!
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not. I looked at Strategic Book Publishing's website, which was enough to show me it was a vanity press, and not an honest one.

So, just by looking at a website, you "KNEW" that the company was NOT an honest publisher? How is this? Were you at all in conversation with ANYONE with the company? or did you just look at the site and decide it was not a legitimate publisher? LOL

pretty dumb way to go about it if you ask me.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

The Idiot...?

Troll, stomp away!
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:
Someone needs to buy a dictionary. FYI, since you can't seem to lock down the concept:

Either is correct - proved, or proven... unless Mr. Webster is also an illiterate author :rolleyes:

LOL sir. It depends on the way you use it.

for example, I would say proved if I were saying to someone that "I PROVED you wrong."

If you want to use it in the context that this other dude did, it would be "it has been PROVEN..."

:)