No-go for me on PA contract termination

matt79fl

Registered
Reaction score
Could I have handled things more maturely? Probably. But I'm beyond caring at this point. Here are the emails between me and "Darcy" from PA:

Darcy,

I wrote 2-3 months ago requesting contract termination and received
the form-letter reply. I want the rights to my book back and I don't
want my name associated with PublishAmerica. I will not make a
50-book order to terminate the contract, as it feels like paying a
ransom. I have no intention of ordering another copy of my book, nor
do I encourage others to purchase this title or promote the book in
any way.

Please terminate my contract, as the continuation of my contract
through its term will be in no way profitable for PublishAmerica but
early termination will grant me peace of mind. Had I known in 2004
what I know now, I would have never signed a contract with
PublishAmerica in the first place.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Matt Murphy

Dear Mr. Murphy,

In that case, your contract remains in effect, as we have preferred all
along.

Also, please note that you transferred your literary rights to PA so that it
could sell your book for a profit. By dissuading others from purchasing the
book, however, you are actively interfering with PA's ability to exercise
those rights. Your conduct amounts to a breach of the covenant of good
faith and fair dealing implied into every contract.

Thank you,
Darcy
[email protected]

Darcy,

Finally!!! A personal response! Darcy, either you have a way with words or I'm just overwhelmed with joy because I didn't get a form-letter response this time.

PublishAmerica...
...increased the cover price of books
...began charging $3.99 shipping for each book even on multiple orders
...failed to send my final review copies before selling and sending my book to customers
...called itself a traditional publisher when the industry considers the publisher an abomination to the written word
...repeatedly failed to capitalize on web traffic I generated by having a poorly-maintained website that often would not load its home page and more often would not open my book's page
...and continued its rich tradition of scamming authors.
I'd say that amounts to a breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing. There are thousands of other authors who agree (see: Absolute Write Water Cooler).

To clarify, "dissuade" means to persuade a person or persons against taking a certain course of action. As stated in my previous email: "I have no intention of ordering another copy of my book, nor do I encourage others to purchase this title or promote the book in any way." I stated that I do not encourage others to purchase this title, not that I discourage them. Dissuasion requires action and I stated a lack of action. I'm no Philip Dolan, but I am attentive to detail most of the time. Just thought you'd like that clarified, so save your legal jargon for somebody who might be intimidated by it.

Had I known that a successful author would tell me to never mention the fact that I published with your company during a writing discussion because it's better to be self-published than to be a vanity-published scam victim, I would not have signed the contract.

Had your company accepted Atlanta Nights in 2003 instead of 2004, I would not have signed the contract.

Had I known of your company's no-return policy that turned off every bookseller who did not receive a specific request from a customer, I would not have signed the contract.

I have a child who will one day develop his own opinion of the life I've led and the choices I've made. This is something I consider every time I look into the mirror. The PublishAmerica staff must be a poorly groomed bunch, as it's hard to imagine a whole office full of people who feed their children by earning scam money being able to look into the mirror before leaving for work. It's no surprise that some hack author figured out a way to scam other authors and started his own publishing company, but what does surprise and disturb me is that there are people out there willing to be accessories to the crime. And every one of them--yes, even you, Darcy--is a bad person for taking part in it. If you had any regard for the overall good in this world you would stop reading here and begin typing your resignation. Better yet, don't bother giving a notice. It's not like you'd have a chance at working for an honest publisher (though I'd probably pay the 50-book ransom to be a fly on the wall during that interview). Having PublishAmerica in your employment history is marginally more honorable than having worked in the coffin-recycling business.

The hell with my book. You can keep it for two more years. Enjoy. It's a decent read if you're into an under-edited memoir of a man who accomplished more before he turned 24 years old than you or the swine in the cubicle beside yours will in your lifetimes. Take notes. Imitate. I can't promise that it will make your parents regret their Pro-Life stance any less but it should keep you occupied while you drink away the sorrows of a meaningless life one box of red wine at a time.

May your next diarrhea discovery come with a sneeze.

Pleasantries,

Matt Murphy

I published through PA because I did not do my homework on PA before signing with them, because my work may not have been good enough to be published by a traditional publisher, and because I was too lazy to make a real effort at being published by a real publisher.

In hindsight, I had a ready-made audience and the best-case scenario would have been self-publishing. I think that's often the best way to go for people who are regularly in front of large groups of potential customers, especially for non-fiction work.

If I hope to be published traditionally, I have to master the craft and make my work so good that they can't say no.

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The letter from 'Darcy' sounds too literate compared to the usual patronizing dribble from PA.
I suspect Vic has a hand in this one.

Anyway, same old, same old.
Welcome to AW.

:welcome:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Immature? Maybe. But your sign-off is gold!

Welcome aboard, Matt. (Your middle name isn't 'Guitar' by any chance, is it?)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Welcome to AW, Matt. :welcome: Sorry you've had a negative experience with PA, although it is not unusual. ** sigh ** Keep writing and thanks for sharing your correspondence with PA.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Bravo!

I'm a believer in less is more, so the next letter you send them, make sure it is a certified letter directly to Larrry Clopper. In fact, send one to him, Willie, Miranda, & Darcy if you have the budget for it.

Keep it simple and let them know that it's written notice that you do not want your 7-year contract to be renewed. State that you require written confirmation that they acknowledge your notice.

You've done your chewing out, the next one needs to be strictly business. No more zingers. Play it straight. Whoever Darcy is, she's clearly picked up a big dose of nasty from Miranda.

Yo, Darcy? I've been selling work since the late 80s and in ALL that time I've never seen a reply like yours. You are certainly a perfect example of PA's yawning lack of professionalism.

I'll only lightly touch on the fact that you are in need of an editor for your mails.

And you should NOT be talking about "good faith" and "fair dealing" when referring to Publish America contracts.

At least not without posting a ** BEVERAGE ALERT!!! ** first.

:roll:

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Matt, i tried to get out of my contract today too. I have not heard from them yet, but i tried the honey effect somewhat but still told them off in a nice way to see if that worked. guess we will have to see what happens.

matt79fl

Registered
Reaction score
So disappointed

I just came back to the thread, hoping that there would be something posted about the PA office catching fire during an after-hours executive meeting or something wonderful like that.

Darn!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Best advice I can give you is just walk away. Forget you have a book with PA. Forget you wrote the book. Forget you signed the contract. Spend the dollar.

I fought them for four years and it nearly destroyed me as a writer. It took me three years after that to even go back to book writing.

Seriously, it's soul destroying to fight those bastards. Just forget about them, you'll be in a much better place much faster than if you fight them.

matt79fl

Registered
Reaction score
I went through a slump for a couple years but I'm back at the writing thing.

I decided to have fun with PA. Just sent "Darcy" a crude email a second ago. Wait! The email was returned. User unknown. Darcy must have been canned. Too bad, I thought the crude email was kind of a funny.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I went through a slump for a couple years but I'm back at the writing thing.

I decided to have fun with PA. Just sent "Darcy" a crude email a second ago. Wait! The email was returned. User unknown. Darcy must have been canned. Too bad, I thought the crude email was kind of a funny.
They fired her recently.

Please keep in mind that the employees at PA are victims, too.
They didn't make the rules and are bound by unbelievable restrictions.
Most of them are just kids fresh out of school, or have youngsters they have to feed.
They HATE working there. Don't blame them.

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorjbreed.yolasite.com
Question for Anyone Who May Know

Is it possible that, if an author did not cash their $1.00 check, it would make the contract null and void? I was told my somone else under a different circumstance, that if you do not cash the check, you are not accepting the contract. Just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I am not a lawyer, but I have no doubt whatsoever that a signed contract is legally binding, regardless of whether the check was cashed. You don't get the check until after you sign the contract, anyway.

And I gotta say, I'm surprised anyone would suggest that one could get out of a signed contract simply by not cashing a check. They're obviously not a lawyer, either. :)

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I've missed something, but reading your posts I get the impression you signed the PA contract in 2004, which is the year I signed with them. My seven-year contract expired in 2011.

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I've missed something, but reading your posts I get the impression you signed the PA contract in 2004, which is the year I signed with them. My seven-year contract expired in 2011

Not the same person, Arkie. He just posted on an older thread.
The OP was the one who signed in 2004

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Your conduct amounts to a breach of the covenant of good
faith and fair dealing implied into every contract.

Thank you,
Darcy
[email protected]
Maybe it's just me, but any normal business that comes to this conclusion would drop you for breach of contract. The fact they're keeping someone who, according to them, isn't holding up their end of the bargain is very telling.