Nicholas Sparks Disappointment

~Country Girl~

Registered
Reaction score
I recently became a fan of Nicholas Sparks after reading Dear John. I then decided to read The Gaurdian and was very disappointed. Before reading The Gaurdian I also wanted to read The Choice but now I dont know if it's pointless. What's your opinions?

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
What are the best Nicholas Sparks NOVELS?

I want to get into Nicholas Sparks... but he has a lot of novels so I wanted to get recommendations from the people on AW first!

So what do you say? Which one's are your favourites>???

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
There's a reason for that...

Because there's a Respect Your Fellow Writer rule, I'll sent you a reppie about this instead. ;)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhaaa did not mean to disrespect. :p I will read some of his books regardless to his (seeming) unpopularity based on this thread... (hem hem) but will judge for myself weather or not to read more!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, you weren't being disrespectful. I was saying I would be disrespectful if I were to put my comment here, the one I sent you by reppie. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have to ask... of all the writers in the world, why those two?

I mean King is ridiculously prolific, and crosses genres, and is super famous, so I kind of get that, maybe... how did Sparks get the other spot?

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to ask... of all the writers in the world, why those two?

I mean King is ridiculously prolific, and crosses genres, and is super famous, so I kind of get that, maybe... how did Sparks get the other spot?

I just feel they both are 'big names.' A lot of my favourite authors are well known ones (I am really not very creative that way as for example my favourite writer is J. K. Rowling). Apart from that I am not really sure, as I am just trying to expand on the number of books I have read. Stephen King because I like horror, or at least movies so I thought I would get started on books... (and where else would you go for that?) ;) and I like romance but I don't read it enough... so it seemed like a clear choice as well.

Overall, I usually like 'big names...' books/authors that everyone knows so long as they are page turners. I get that I will have to break out of this one day but it's my focus for the moment as I am trying to expand my reading.

Last edited:

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
+ I was thinking I might ‘interchange’ between the two, as I might get scared of King and romance would alleviate that. :p

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Sparks doesn't write romance, as he's very fond of proclaiming--he writes "love stories." And yes, there's a difference--there are some serious genre expectations in romance, chiefly that the story end optimistically with a "happily ever after" (or "happy for now") outcome for the protagonists. If you're interested in the romance genre, Nora Roberts might be a better author to investigate (at least for contemporary romance--there are others for other sub-genres.)

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Message in a Bottle, The Wedding, The Guardian :Thumbs:

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Curlz!!! (Glad to get a response out of this!)

Marissa, it's more about being a 'big name' than his writing being romance... whatever genre it is. + I get that it is sort of like calling Emily Giffin a chick lit writer when she just likes writing 'relationship novels.' I don't know what Nicholas Sparks novels are specifically labeled as because I have never read them... (yet) :S

Last edited:

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'll definitely check that out. Maybe I'll post a thread on her too, I feel like she's got around as many hits as the other two and it would be the same, as in hard to know where to start. Maybe more people will have read her as well (haha). :ROFL:

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully as this stays up for a while there will be more recommendations... :p

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'll post a thread on her too, I feel like she's got around as many hits as the other two and it would be the same, as in hard to know where to start.

You might like to check this room's Index, too, to read the existing discussions on Stephen King and Nora Roberts (and anyone else you might be interested in). :) I'll merge your other recent thread with the existing general thread on Stephen King, once it's not as active, to keep related discussions together.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I did post an inquiry on both threads in another room and they told me to come here but nothing on merging threads. It would be nice to get more responses though! :)

Last edited: