AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 102 123456711265176101 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Middle Grade

Hybrid View

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God timp67's Avatar

All Things Middle Grade

Well, there's so many threads dedicated to YA here on AW that I thought I would start one dedicated to MG ... although everyone's welcome.

Just testing the waters to see if there's any interest in MG bonding!
    Last edited by timp67; 03-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    http://www.timothypower.me
    Twitter

THE BOY WHO HOWLED
    Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    I'm an MG writer. I have a first draft of an MG completed, but I'm letting it sit a bit before I revise it. In the meantime, I'm writing another book.

Congrats on your good news!

Smish
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Congrats on your future book! Keep us updated.

I write MG and YA. My MG projects are MG fantasy and MG magical realism. I'm also toying with/plotting an MG sibling saga in the vein of an updated Little Women. Sort of.

I wrote a MG fantasy...but it's looking like I'm going to have to shelve it. *sigh*. Starting on a YA project, but I really love writing for MG.

Well begun is half done... Mumut's Avatar
    My published books are YA (I've had emails and letters from readers from 9yo to 74yo, so I suppose it's YA smudged a bit). These are historical fantasy. My four MG stories are with a publisher now, hoping to be accepted. They are purely adventure stories. They are set in places I've visited or lived - Papua New Guinea, Isle of Man, south coast of England and Scotland.

Wow, it's great to start a community of MG friendly writers here! I look forward to sharing news and exploring writing issues particular to my favorite genre.
    Twitter

THE BOY WHO HOWLED

Yay for MG! My first MG novel is scheduled for release in 2011. I'm working on the second (and third ... and fourth ... all in different stages ... but only the second is under contract).

It's a long and winding road RoseColoredSkies's Avatar
    I'm sort of all over the spectrum but I am shopping around an MG urban fantasy right now. Hopefully the first in a trilogy. I've been pondering the second book, almost started it last night but was a bit on the "holy crap I'm starting law school tomorrow (aka today..in about 2 hours and 20 minutes) so I didn't. But who knows, depending on how fast I get my homework done today, I might actually start it.

The other book I have in the works is definitely adult, even though it has a 9 year old MC in it. I'm sure I'll come up with some more kid friendly stories. I was thinking about the whole maiden-mother-crone myth last night. Thinking I could work with that somehow.
    YA Urban Fantasy - revising
    Women's Fiction - querying

Good to know there are other MG writers here. Anyone going to any upcoming SCBWI regional/state conferences? I've never been to one, but I signed up to go to the Central Ohio conference on October 3rd.

Ive-gay e-may an eak-bray! WriterEm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melia View Post
    Good to know there are other MG writers here. Anyone going to any upcoming SCBWI regional/state conferences? I've never been to one, but I signed up to go to the Central Ohio conference on October 3rd.
    I'm going to one of the SCBWI conferences next month (Nashville). I'm really looking forward to it!!

It'll be my first as well.

Yay me!
    Half my life is in books' written pages
    Lived and learned from fools and from sages...

Dream on! Dream on!
    Dream until your dream comes true!

~Aerosmith

Travelling the re-write road
    I've been naughty, so feel free to whip me with a wet noodle. I should be rewriting and editing my MG fantasy, but life has been offering me other creative endeavours to explore. Yanno... Oooh, look. Shiny...

*opens MS file* Well, that's a start...

Hiya, fellow MGers!

What happened, just there? Hedgetrimmer's Avatar
    I've given up on MG. It's a great genre, and I do enjoy reading it, but I just don't think I can cut it as a writer for this group. After writing three novels in as many years, I'm still nowhere nearer to breaking in. Fiction never has been kind to me. I'm currentlly concentrating my efforts on narrative essays, with which I've had measurable success in the past. Still, I wish all you MG writers much luck and success.

practical experience, FTW MsJudy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgetrimmer View Post
    I've given up on MG. It's a great genre, and I do enjoy reading it, but I just don't think I can cut it as a writer for this group. After writing three novels in as many years, I'm still nowhere nearer to breaking in. Fiction never has been kind to me.
    Hedge, I'm sorry to hear that. But this is what I've found to be true: If you're able to quit, then do it. If it's what you really want to do, though, the voices in your head aren't going to let you quit. Then you just have to keep working on it, learning a little more with each book.

FWIW, I'm on at least book number three. If we count the ones that I abandoned in the middle or after the first draft, then we're talking at least 5. No contracts yet, but I know this is what I want to do.

I tried quitting. It made me crazy. I've decided, sure, I'd love to be published, but if I have to make do with not-crazy, then I'm happy.
    represented by Jenny Bent of the Bent Agency. Most happy.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MG author of fiction travel adventure

Hi. I am a newbie MG author. My work is presenting itself as an early chapter book. I had a lot of crazy adventures when I traveled around the world, which (along with my nieces) inspired me to write this book. Nine year old Rose willingly (and sometimes unwillingly) shares her Auntís crazy travel adventures. In this first book of what I hope to be a series, Rose has to a do a presentation in class. She is nervous and has to overcome her public speaking fear.

I look forward to hearing from other MG authors.

Debra

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Congrats on the upcoming release, Timp! That's great!

I write MG...but the one completed novel I have, I have basically given up on. I plan to continue writing in this market...but Dubious Pickles and the Space Between the Walls has recently been set inside the ever filling TRUNK. (-; I have ideas...I will see where they lead me.
    **Pick up my 6th novel, the Young Adult title--- PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    CHECK OUT LIGHT NEAR THE END OF THE WORLD on AMAZON NOW!

Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 6 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    I had an MG novel that died after my ex-agent couldn't place it. Now I'm working on a third. #2 is in limbo. And I have an MG short story coming out in October. I write "across the board" but particularly love writing MG.

Speaking of SCBWI, I looked into joining the New England Central chapter but their conference is in Rhode Island so I can't go. Bummer.

Yay Sary!

I can hardly wait to read your book. Keep us updated!
    Twitter

THE BOY WHO HOWLED

My published works include MG, YA, and adult -- primarily nonfiction. Of all, I get the most satisfaction from MG work, and that, coupled with the fact that even in bad times like this, there always seems to be a need for MG, has led to to concentrate my efforts heavily on MG works.

Scope- what sort of non-fic topics do you write about?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseColoredSkies View Post
    Scope- what sort of non-fic topics do you write about?
    I think it's fair to say that except for some extremely rare exceptions there really aren't any brand new nonfiction subjects to write about. However, I find there are many subjects for which a really good book is needed, better than anything that's in the marketplace. And then there are some subjects where few books exist for what I see as a very large audience. And of course there are always new twists and approaches to subjects which I see as needed, and would be well received.

For personal reasons I try hard to remain anonymous on any posting site. So, I hope you will understand why I choose not to list the subjects of my published books (1+1 always = 2!) However, the subjects are diverse and include my work as an author, ghostwriter, and project director. In total about 80 published books.
    Last edited by scope; 08-25-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Damn...just damn. 80 books. Wow that's...I'm floored. And I get you don't want to share.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Of all, I get the most satisfaction from MG work, and that, coupled with the fact that even in bad times like this, there always seems to be a need for MG, has led to to concentrate my efforts heavily on MG works.
    I think there's a need for good MG, too. I have heard the age range for MG called "the golden years for reading." It's so important to reach that audience with quality and care!
    Twitter

THE BOY WHO HOWLED

Quote Originally Posted by timp67 View Post
    I think there's a need for good MG, too. I have heard the age range for MG called "the golden years for reading." It's so important to reach that audience with quality and care!
    In speaking with my local children's librarian, she mentioned the desperate need for good, collection-style MG. Non-genre, non-series kinds of books, like The Penderwicks. According to her, it's becoming something of an epidemic!

So, yay to all the MG writers trying to keep our youth reading!

i luv you giant bear statue Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    I'm an unpublished writer of MG and YA and adult stuff. I think MG is closest to my heart though. I'm going to start subbing an early MG novel soon, I think. So cool to see all the published and soon-to-be-pubbed MG authors hanging out around here!

Page 1 of 102 123456711265176101 ... LastLast