Medieval History Forums or Groups?

errantruth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sputnitsa.wordpress.com
::: Ignore this post! And if you're a mod, can you delete it entirely? I just realized AW has all this in a sticky in the Historical Fiction/History Section. :) Thankee!

I just realized I'm looking at a lot of research into the Middle Ages, Cistercian buildings, and the region of York in England.

I'll hit up the local professors in my hood, but I was wondering if anyone here is on any History forums or Medieval History forums... And if you could tell me what they are, if you recommend them. I'm doing a bunch of reading, but having well-versed historians and enthusiasts to shoot questions at would help, too.

And, of course, if you're into this period, could you give a shout-out?

Thank you!

~ R

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Your best bet are academic listserves; lurk first, for at least a couple of weeks.

Start with the Rule of St. Benedict. Go visit a current Cistercian order. Read Thomas Merton; he's contemporary but understands the monastic life in terms of its tradition as an uninvolved scholar can't.

And take a look at this:

http://www.cmrs.ucla.edu/projects/st_gall.html

It's well underway now.

Read all you can about Fountains Abbey; there's loads and loads of contemporary primary resources.

http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~dvess/ids/fa2/foun1.shtml

errantruth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sputnitsa.wordpress.com
Oh my gosh, you guys! THANK YOU, and I'm so sorry I took a while coming back. I found some suggestions in the Non-Fiction Historical Fiction section and thought I'd goofed posting here.

THANK YOU, and again, apologies for being so **** late in thanking you. :)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
You might also want to try the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) or Markland (Markland Medieval Mercenary Militia). They're both re-enactment groups focusing on the Middle Ages. Most of their membership is the United States but I think there's a group in England who does Anglo-Saxon England (Regina A....). You might also want to try looking up some of the Medieval sites you may be interested in, like Hampton Court in England. They may have websites since they're tourist attractions.